Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YS91 OR OS91

Hi guys i just got a new raptor 90 and i would like some feedback on what engines you guys are running. Can't decide what i want to use. Thanks
furywife04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
GM1
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both and prefer the YS as it is pretty much set and forget. The OS runs fine and makes good power but is a little fussier to needle.
Gordie
Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

YS runs better, OS looks better. Which is more important to you?
TT blades
JR 10X
claysmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

OS does look better. Don't forget your viper head!!
Old 04-23-2004, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you guys talkin about the new PS version for the OS91?
SKYBLUE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Say YES to YS
Spitfire_mk5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I really like my YSs. I am fortunate to have three of them and they all run well without any modifications (Viper Head). Now if I could figure out a way to get more than nine minutes out of a tank I'd really be happy.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I'll take the os side, I have an os with a kline, no ps. The kline makes more tank pressure than the PS does. Viper head and a carb mod done by omi and it runs awesome. Put it next to a ys and it has more power. YS is alot easier to set the needels on though...but OS does ahve more power though.
wes22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

YS here for me as well. Plenty of power, and they run oh so sweet. Not much fiddeling needed to get them to perform very well. That is what I am running in my Raptor 90, and I love it. Oh, and it is running a MP2 for exhaust. All in all I have 4 YS big blocks, and I have been happy with every one.
Buzzin Brian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I see why the YS engine manufacture has such a strong following. It is a slightly cheaper product price wise (not by much), easy to keep tuned, and just works well by just installing, & 'setting & forgetting'. I bought the OS.91SXH C-Spec/PS engine with OMI viper head, simply because I have had great luck with OS engines/products in the past. Also something I cannot verify myself, having never owned a YS, but it does seem the longevity of the OS ringed engines is quite lengthy to say the least, & I had heard opinions the YS piston/liner/con-rod had inferior usable life when compared to OS, allthough the YS'S ran GREAT until that time. I know the earlier versions of OS91 had crank balance, & also some fuel delivery problems, which probably slowed sales dramatically when the first OS/YS 91's hit the market initially.

I would be interested to see some hard data that the Klein 'regulator' actually produces more fuel pressure than the new OS C-Spec/PS which has a exclusive fuel PUMP. I am guessing the OS/PS has a fuel return line at the carburetor, due to the fact fuel pressure is in fact too high at times, due to the addition of the new pump, and thus needs a release/fuel-return valve for the positive fuel pressure thats being delivered at a rate it cannot consume. Apparently the YS regulator works great & perhaps the Klein does the same for the OS, but I am predicting higher fuel pressure is being generated by the OS pump VS either the Klein or YS regulators.
Todd Marsh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

id go with the YS 91...i REALLY love mine..and it has TONS of power...O yea, i can get 12 minutes, and 36 seconds....yes that is right... of constant 3-d..and no, im not running the engine really lean or anything. I have no mods done to it either...i simply have ViperHead on it...And i know the viper head doesnt had much time to flying...What my set up is a 8.45 gear ratio, and a 1550 head speed.
corey11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Corey, your headspeed in one of the things contributing to longer flight times. Most tend to run 1750-1800 on the head for aerobatics. Which does tend to use more fuel. That being said, I find the flight times to be acceptable with my YS 91's.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

well, he never said he wanted to use a 1750 head speed...so i said what i can get with a head speed...i can get prety close to 10 minutes on a 1750 head speed
corey11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the OS PS with the Viper Head @ 24 thou (shims )and the stock PS @ 12 thou that is plus 4 thou over the stock config. Runs smooth and powerfull with a wide tuning band.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

YS
Old 04-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll vote for YS also. Why spend extra $$ to add a regulator to a C-spec? In my opinion the C-spec PS with the perry pump looks like a band-aid fix vs the YS with the tried and true fuel pressurization system that has been in use in YS engines for years.

The YS isn't as pretty as the C-spec though...

Angelo
Old 04-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Clint had by far the finest running motors of the weekend. Thanks for tuning motors for the stupid Clint. Mine is running a WHOLE lot better!!

Clints PS on his #1 bird will pull and hold 1870 RPM Headspeed on full power and collective climbouts time after time on a hot day. It is all in the tuning, I used to think my PS's sucked.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well guys thanks for all the replys. I just ordered my new ys91
furywife04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Great choice! I knew YS would win. It always does!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in