Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Opinions

It's one hell of a heli for 10 bucks if you look at it that way

I didn't intend to diss the 300x, only to give a little heads up on what the main issues were. I'm loving mine. It's still stock except the brace. Could probably have been better in some ways, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options in that size range... and it seems they all got their issues. That's just the price for small size, I guess. I'm no expert tho. Does seem like she got a couple of those helping, so I doubt there's any technical issues with any bird that can't be solved.

Best of luck!
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heck yeah...
I almost bought another just for the BeastX figuring it'd also give me a complete set of spares for $10, then I realized I wouldn't be able to bring myself to strip out the BeastX and end up needing another FBL controller anyway so I got an ikon for the other bird, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzo View Post
It's one hell of a heli for 10 bucks if you look at it that way

I didn't intend to diss the 300x, only to give a little heads up on what the main issues were. I'm loving mine. It's still stock except the brace. Could probably have been better in some ways, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options in that size range... and it seems they all got their issues. That's just the price for small size, I guess. I'm no expert tho. Does seem like she got a couple of those helping, so I doubt there's any technical issues with any bird that can't be solved.

Best of luck!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

I enjoy both the 300x and 450x. The 450x is still more intimidating to me, but I'm able to fly circuits and figure eights with both. The 450x has a lot of headroom for my flying to catch up to and it flies smoother and does not need much out of the box. Loctite the motor bearings and set the ESC BEC for 6V and add a dropping diode to the tail servo. For something to grow into, I'd chose the 450x over the 300x. Know that I purchased the 450x for ~$350 shipped from A Main Hobbies in April. A few weeks after and before I flew the 300x ($300 with a pair of carbon blades and an extra battery).

For a 300x I recommend a set of carbon blades and just replacing the stock motor and pinion with:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=21975
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._11T_1pc_.html

It will fly with the wooden blades. But having the covering decide to peel in flight is an exciting experience to say the least. Once I saw what was under the covering, I'll never fly a set of wooden blades again.

I screwed with green loctite and replacing the bearings on my stock motor and wound up with the combo linked above. Much smoother with a bit more power. The unused stock motor and pinion will probably sell for more than the cost of the HK motor/pinion.

I've only crashed my 300x once. On an asphalt parking lot (should have kept fighting). Took out a set of wood blades and the landing gear. Everything else (except the motor and pinion) is still original.

You will probably have a blast with either one.
Tim Wolff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good luck on the job thing hoping the best for you.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Register with amainhobbies and see 450x for $329 today.

Code CALPJUL2513 gets additional $25 off above price.

Add back in around $17 for shipping.

B500 3D basic was briefly $249 and today is $299 (but out of stock)

See also ultimatehobbies.com

Mcpx V2 pretty commonly $89 plus shipping.

Edit. Mcpx offers great value. Don't dismiss small. Have flown mine with trees swaying in wind. I will fly mcpx in more wind than any other in my nick. (Due to my skill level-or lack of, and cheapness)
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got great news on the job front. I got a new higher up position within my company. I am so excited. I am considering getting the 300x this week.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRCgirl View Post
I got great news on the job front. I got a new higher up position within my company. I am so excited. I am considering getting the 300x this week.
Congratulations

Keep in mind though, that in this hobby, the cost of the heli is the least of your expenses. Start up costs can be quite high, by the time you fork out for things like spares, transmitter, tools, batteries and charger etc.

Once you have those things then costs drop dramatically. I started with a 450 PLUS, and have effectively built up 3 450 PRO DFCs - and when I added up all my credit card charges since I started late Nov 12, I was "surprised" to see it totaled over $15,000 (I should add that I did things a fairly expensive way, but I still think even someone being frugal could still end up paying USD $2000 to $4000 in their first year.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
HF Support

Now I understand why this thread has so much attention.

So we have a gainfully employed female who likes to fly RC helicopters...am I dreaming?

What kind of strange alternate dimension have we traversed into?

Last edited by Nelsonisms; 08-01-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinSouthern View Post
Congratulations

Keep in mind though, that in this hobby, the cost of the heli is the least of your expenses. Start up costs can be quite high, by the time you fork out for things like spares, transmitter, tools, batteries and charger etc.

Once you have those things then costs drop dramatically. I started with a 450 PLUS, and have effectively built up 3 450 PRO DFCs - and when I added up all my credit card charges since I started late Nov 12, I was "surprised" to see it totaled over $15,000 (I should add that I did things a fairly expensive way, but I still think even someone being frugal could still end up paying USD $2000 to $4000 in their first year.
Just curious, are you saying you have spent $15,000 on 3 450 DFCs and a 450 sport? I understand charger prices, batteies, etc add up quick but that is a huge amount of money for 4 helicopters and equipment.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post

So we have a gainfully employed female who likes to fly RC helicopters...am I dreaming?

We have people posting here who have never once posted in the 300X forum before
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wondered why this thread had so many views - and also why there was a "Ladies'" forum here on HeliFreak... Question answered. Lots of single guys here. On-topic, I've had my 300x for maybe 5 months, and I can speak for the unexpected expenses of start-up. Getting into CP helis for me followed a learning curve starting with the mcpx v2, then the BL, then the 300x. The little guys taught me not to be afraid to crash, I learned basic repairs, and didn't have to maintain a large flightbox. The first two flights (read: first two crashes) with my 300x taught me much more respect for crash damage. Bench time sucks. Best to keep it in the air. My tool box got much bigger, by necessity. A taste of flying a couple batteries gets to be a tease, then you need more batteries. Charging batteries all day leads to the need for a better charger. And so on......

Chargers, batteries, spares, and tools do not come cheap - especially when considering such things are often purchased to accommodate future plans, not just to handle the current need. After my 300x, I got enough spare parts to keep that one in the air, then got a good deal from someone selling a frame without the BeastX and all their spares, just to make SURE I was looking at minimal downtime. (Thanks, FooferDoggie) Many of those spares are now being built into a whole new 300x. I've been bit by the bug hard.

Last edited by jcmo; 08-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: redundant wording
jcmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky View Post
Just curious, are you saying you have spent $15,000 on 3 450 DFCs and a 450 sport? I understand charger prices, batteies, etc add up quick but that is a huge amount of money for 4 helicopters and equipment.
Yep. It all adds up - I also have my birds fully tricked out eg Futaba T14SG, then an R7008SB for each heli, 2x HC3sX, 2x GPS unit etc. Some stuff I bought and it didn't work out - some parts for crash repairs (I had a lot of crashes before I got the HC3sX).
Old 08-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
Testosterone, sigh
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post

Yes I am hooked if I can get a heli in the air and get my dispute worked out through paypal.

Why is it so strange for a female to be interested in helis?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmo View Post
I wondered why this thread had so many views - and also why there was a "Ladies'" forum here on HeliFreak... Question answered. Lots of single guys here. On-topic, I've had my 300x for maybe 5 months, and I can speak for the unexpected expenses of start-up. Getting into CP helis for me followed a learning curve starting with the mcpx v2, then the BL, then the 300x. The little guys taught me not to be afraid to crash, I learned basic repairs, and didn't have to maintain a large flightbox. The first two flights (read: first two crashes) with my 300x taught me much more respect for crash damage. Bench time sucks. Best to keep it in the air. My tool box got much bigger, by necessity. A taste of flying a couple batteries gets to be a tease, then you need more batteries. Charging batteries all day leads to the need for a better charger. And so on......

Chargers, batteries, spares, and tools do not come cheap - especially when considering such things are often purchased to accommodate future plans, not just to handle the current need. After my 300x, I got enough spare parts to keep that one in the air, then got a good deal from someone selling a frame without the BeastX and all their spares, just to make SURE I was looking at minimal downtime. (Thanks, FooferDoggie) Many of those spares are now being built into a whole new 300x. I've been bit by the bug hard.
So is it safe to say you like the 300x?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is why I am starting with what I would call almost mid-size heli because I don't want to spend money on all the little stuff that adds up to a bigger heli. I am going from the 300x(when I get it) to a 500 or 550. In reply to ColinSouthern's post.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #77 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Why is it so strange for a female to be interested in helis?
It's not strange that you would be interested in this hobby. But it is true there are very few women involved with it for whatever reason. I fly at an active RC club with a couple hundred members and we have literally one female pilot and she only flies planks. Add to that I've been to several fly-ins and sponsored heli events and I've yet to see even one female pilot at any of them. I've always thought that was kind of strange. You would think the law of averages would allow for a few more.

So you're a trail blazer and I applaud you for it. I hope you stick with it and show these guys a thing or two.

Now, I need you to convince my wife this isn't kid stuff.

Last edited by Nelsonisms; 08-01-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to agree with jcmo totally. Getting your feet into this hobby will require you to spend quite a few $. The cost of a heli is just a small portion. You will need tools and also equipments for charging batteries and additional batteries as well. One battery is not going to cut it. Then you will need spare parts not to mention a transmitter. These all will add up

I only glimpsed briefly through the thread but I think for beginners, the best training tools are a simulator and an mcpx. Once you are proficient with those, you can go bigger but remember that the bigger you go, the emptier your pockets will be after each crash.

The 300x is much easier on the pocket from my experience compared to bigger helis. I have had 3 crashes and most of the repairs were around $10-15 on the average. I think if you plan to get one, get a lynx frame stiffener is a must. If you have few coins to spare, get the Lynx OWB as this may save the main shaft from breaking and also may lessen the damage on a crash provided you hit TH. Upgrading the servos, esc and adding BEC are optional but give you peace of mind. Compared the 300x to my 450 pro, I would think the 300x crash better than the 450 pro due to mostly weighing less and having less power.

Last edited by nartac; 08-01-2013 at 06:29 PM..
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So is it safe to say you like the 300x?
Going in with eyes open, yes - I love my 300x.

What I mean by that is I did the same thing you are - I lurked and read here for a while, asking some questions along the way. I learned how to use the forum search tool to find most of the information I needed had already been discussed. This gave me an understanding of the heli that I did not fully comprehend until I had screwdrivers in my hands following my first crash. All of a sudden I had a little HeliFreak whispering in my ear reminding me of all the challenges other 300x pilots had written about. This small voice warned me away from things like over-tightening the tail case screws, knew what to do in case of tail wag, and how to spot a damaged servo following a crash, etc.

If I had not educated myself before I made my purchase, I might have had unrealistic expectations of the hobby and the heli, and I might be very dissatisfied. But I'm not. I love it enough to build another one one piece at a time I have been practicing whenever I get bored on a simulator through two winters but just decided to get serious about learning 3d flight this year, and the 300x has been a solid foundation to learn the mechanical complexities of a larger heli with. Is it cheaper to repair than a larger bird? Not particularly, IMO. It's cheaper to get up in the air with though, and will teach you a lot.

Oh Yeah - and then there's the MicroBeast - worthy of being put on a larger heli when you "graduate" and decide the 300x isn't enough helicopter for you because your skills have outgrown it
jcmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
This thread was moved from the main forum.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in