Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Banking in turns

This is so obvious it is embarrassing but I have always had trouble figuring out what aileron input to steepen / shallow the bank in the turn while flying all the way around a circle.
I figured out a rule that has helped me tremendously.
No matter if the sticks are coordinated or not, the direction you initially push the aileron will always steepen the bank and the opposite will shallow the bank.

This works in all turns upright and inverted.

I said it was obvious, but I had never broke it down and thought it out.
It has really helped me
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Took me some time to get this as well but once I did, it started to become natural to make the proper stick adjustments.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a problem making backwards flight natural. I'm assuming all orientation flight becomes natural over time.
alexd1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

its hard to believe when your learning, but all 4 main orientations will become pretty natural eventually. you should feel nearly as good in all of them.
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just remember when she is coming at you in a bank and you want to neutralize or shallow it...move the stick to the low side of the rotor blades
03svtsnakevert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what we teach people learning to fly planes. It's simple and it works but I hesitate to teach it for more than very basic heli orientation because you will have to "unlearn" it when you start flying backwards. A more consistent approach is to recognize that whenever the tail is pointed at the pilot the roll is normal and when the nose is "in" or towards the pilot the roll is reversed. There are a couple different ways to put this to use. One is that when you're tail in you steer, with aileron, the part of the model that is the highest. This works regardless of roll angle, upright, inverted or either side up. Nose in it's just the opposite. Steer the part of the heli that is the lowest. This is by no means the only "correct" way to view aileron control but it has worked for me and will prove consistent as you progress.

To reinforce what the OP stated you can use a technique called "self talk". Assuming a right stick displacement as you roll into the turn say silently, or even aloud, RIGHT. This reinforces in your grey matter that you went right and left will be the move for recovery or bailout of the maneuver. Of course things start to get a little busy as you get into piroing turns and transitions but thats kind of another discussion.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you need to think that much you are bound to crash unless you are on a buddy box. Go very slow so you don't really need any bank and just use a little to get used to seeing it and putting in the right input, if it goes the wrong way just do the opposite and get it back to neutral and stopped. Use the sim. Do it over and over and over..... in the sim until you can zip it around without thinking. Learning in the sim does not directly translate to real life but the reflexes and muscle memory will be there. I practice new maneuvers countless times in the sim. When I then try it for real it is shaky and ugly but when I do make a mistake I correct for it without even thinking. The reflexes you drill in the sim will be there.
brianapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yea if you have to think it is too late but you have to start somewhere. This rule works forward and backward, upright and inverted and it is a starting point to help until you can train your muscle memory on the sim
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

For a while I found myself struggling hard with backwards flight and nose in hovering, often getting disoriented. I had to wrap my brain around the fact that the heli responds in exactly the same way no matter which orientation it is, in relation to itself rather than the pilot.

Example is the nose always goes down by pushing up on the right stick, it always dips to it's right side when pushing right on the right stick etc. I think I got so stuck on moving the stick in x direction to make the heli move where I wanted it to in relation to me I overlooked the simplicity of the physics.

To help I covered the entire left side of the canopy, skids, and tail fin with blue painters tape, that way I could easily tell my left from right. When I made mistakes, it registered much quicker why I made the mistake. May not be the best advice for everyone but for me it was better than trying to remember if left or right would make the heli go where I wanted it to.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Curtis Youngblood wrote some time ago...

Pull the right stick (mode 2) back...the nose moves toward the rotor. Push it forward, the nose moves away from the rotor...always, any orientation.

If the heli is upright...on the left stick (rudder)...move it to the right the heli rotates clockwise...left, anti-clockwise...always. Upside down...the opposite.

Aileron works in the same direction whether you are upright or inverted, backward or forward.
Kasama Srimok 90N with cyber head
ozsteel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in