Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brushless battery thread

I was hoping we could have a thread strictly on batteries for the brush-less nano. The good, the bad and the ugly. There are currently some options, and Asteroid has optional gear adapters for alternative batteries. I purchased both adapters, however I'm not sure what to order.
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using these. http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ll-p-5106.html
Also the male um plugs to go with them. Love them! Don't forget though they do need to be warmed up. It makes a huge difference for punch as well as power throughout the flight.
ChrisPfligler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have some Hyperions coming in today. Can't wait to see how they hold up.

Currently I have the "mild" setup and have been using cheap packs. Out of the 2 stock packs, one has no punch after 30 seconds into the flight, however I can still fly around normally for about 2 minutes. The other has decent power for light 3D for a 2 minute flight.

I have 7 Fullymax 1s 150mAh lipos. Out of those 7 only 2 still offers the punch for the full 3 minute flight. I came to a conclusion that the other 5 went bad because I either drained them too low or charging them too fast. The 2 good ones were charged at 1c and flown for 2:30secs. I guess that's the problem with cheap packs. They don't last long when fast charged or abused. That's why I got the Hyperions

I have 2 1s 160mAh Thunder Power packs. Both no longer delivers enough power for 3d. And they barely last 1 min into the flight.

I have a Sky Lipo 1s 200mAh pack. this pack is bigger so will require the MCPX landing gears or one of Dylan's Hyp mount. Pack has been working great so far with good power, but it is on the heavy side.

And the last pack I have is the Turnigy 1s 160mAh. It's still delivering power. However it starts to bleed off power after 1:30, but it's still able to 3D till 3mins.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Does anyone use the Hyperion with the connector already included?

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5437.html
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea I have four of them and their awesome. But I'm super impatient and just ordered the others since their not sold out and basically the same battery.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered 5 of these: http://www.miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
itsmillertime0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The glacier 150s from epbuddy are doing pretty good for me too. Have some miniaviations, billowys and g force on the way to test too.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPfligler View Post
Yea I have four of them and their awesome. But I'm super impatient and just ordered the others since their not sold out and basically the same battery.
Are these good for the mild version, still waiting for the post man grrr.
Just dont know about the weight issue as i want it light but powerful lol
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
The glacier 150s from epbuddy are doing pretty good for me too. Have some miniaviations, billowys and g force on the way to test too.
No good to us Canadians wont ship lipos to Canada , have a feeling this is going to become a bigger problem next year with more restrictions
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanasi View Post
No good to us Canadians wont ship lipos to Canada , have a feeling this is going to become a bigger problem next year with more restrictions
That's why I don't sell lipos, too much hassle

I have 3 g force 160s cycling now to try.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

7 cycles on the G force 160's, not good, 30 seconds to a minute less 3D than the Eflites, Hyperion 160 and Glacier 150's. They hit LVC early, but are 3.76 volts resting. Even warmed up they didn't hang. Good thing I only bought 3 of them
Dylwad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

For my BL-Frankenstein-Motor Nano:

I have really good results with my old cheapo Zippy 240 mAh 20c - a big surprise for me, too.
Very light battery, and performance equal or even little better than stock Eflite Nano battery.
I use/try:
Stock Eflite: favourite (with my old Zippy 240), > 4 min flight time
Zippy 240 mAh 20c: Also favourite (good: fit perfectly into mCP x skids, stock, KBDD, FP100). > 4 min flight time
Turnigy 160mAh: Ok for indoor flight with brushed motor, but bad ad cold temperatures outside with brushed (Stock Eflite much better at cold temperatures); too weak for my BL (< 3 min flight time, LVC)
Turnigy Nanotech 160mAh: very similar to "normal" Turnigy, maybe even little better; cant say anything about durabilty yet.
Hyperion 240 mAh: worse performance than Zippy 240 (probably because of age - bought December 2010); much heavier than Zippy 240 - you will feel the weight difference during flight, do NOT fit into stock skids.
Wellpower SH 250: Very good, similar to stock and Zippy 240, fit into stock mCP x skids - one of my favourites (same age as my Hyperion 240 - but they still perform very well).

Also tried several small mCP x batteries with plug adapter:
You will feel the weight, unfortunately.
Quite new Turnigy Nanotech 300mAh 45-90c perform well, but flying with the smaller batteries above indoors is more fun; flightimes 6 - 7 min.
Older Turnigy Nanotech 300mAh 35-70c perform ok, but not as much pop as the good batteries above.
My about 1 year old MiniAviation 300 are bad, really bad now, as they are in mCP x - they were awsome when new, but faded away very soon.

Did not try any MiLipos so far (only have the awsome 430 for mCP x - which probably will be much too heavy for small Nano.

Interested in reviews of MiniAviation and mainly MyLipos for Nano! Probably MyLipo will again be THE battery to beat in performance and durability.

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanasi View Post
Are these good for the mild version, still waiting for the post man grrr.
Just dont know about the weight issue as i want it light but powerful lol
Yep sure are. Not sure if you need them but there consistent. I'm sure eflite 150 or hyperion 160 would work fine
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been using KBDD white MCPx skids with ether the Eflite 200mAh 30c MCPx battery or the Lectron Pro 300mAh 35c MCPx battery. I cut down a MCPx charge cable and soldered it to the Nano.

I'm using them because a local freaker (Jim) with his crazy brushless nano with dual tail motors has been using them. They really kick ass on his nano and it's just as fast if not faster then my 130x...

I was having issues with 1 min flight times on my stock nano batteries so he told me to give them a try on my mild brushless.

I have to say with the mild brushless I have two flat throttles 71% and 100%. and man do these bigger MCPx batteries give the mild brushless ALOT of pop.

Yes it adds extra weight which others don't like much but WOW do they fly good. Normal hard circuit flight with no 3d I get 5.5 minutes out of them and zero bog throughout the whole flight.

I'm running them with the normal sport blades and the slight added weight from the battery and the skids make this nano fly awesome. I figured the extra weight would hold it down or make it fly a bit sluggish.... It is FAR from sluggish and straight up awesome to fly in the house.

If you wanna try just get the MCPx charge cable adapter to give it a try with no soldering needed.

I'm also looking for lighter MCPx skids then the KBDD and more durable. Anyone know of any?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wrote something on RCG that is pertinent to this thread. I'll post actual graph here when I have some numbers to share.

FYI, I have Dylan's wild BL setup.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2208
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got some battery temp/IR info done tonight while cutting Nano motor spacer rings

IR tested with an Icharger 306B

Tested 3 stock Eflite 150's and 1 Glacier 160. All batteries were taken from storage charge to full at 1C, IR's were checked (multiple times and averaged) at room temp (69F) and after 10 minutes in a $15 Walgreens heating pad set to low, and then put back into the heating pad for another 10 minutes and checked again.

Starting IR's @69F

Eflites 192, 270, 213
Glacier 185

IR's at 90-95F after 10 minutes

Eflites 130, 144, 131
Glacier 156

IR's after 10 more minutes in the cozy (average temp 100 degrees)

Eflites 111, 120, 115
Glacier 115

So, a $15 heating pad set to low with batteries folded inside of it for 10-20 minutes makes a huge difference in battery performance. The IR's get higher as the temp drops too, 69 degrees is on the warm side for most of the country right now!

Haven't tested 10 minutes set to medium on the heating pad yet. Also the heating pad shuts itself off after 2 hours.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dylan, per your research, I put a couple of my Eflight batteries on my little room heater. Once they were warm to the touch I flew with them.... WOW What a difference!! Honestly I think it feels like its better than new (still brushed, but plan on snagging up one of your mild kits as soon as they re-appear).

Another question: will this trick also work on my 300x batteries (45c Nanos)?
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I had a couple new 2 cell nano-tech 180mah. I pulled them apart and soldered connectors on. Flown them around 8 cycles each now. They are by far the worst batteries of my bunch, barely can do 2 minutes where the regular nano-tech 160's go 2.5 - 3 mins. Ordered some Hyperion 180's, hopefully they will perform.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoE View Post
I had a couple new 2 cell nano-tech 180mah. I pulled them apart and soldered connectors on. Flown them around 8 cycles each now. They are by far the worst batteries of my bunch, barely can do 2 minutes where the regular nano-tech 160's go 2.5 - 3 mins. Ordered some Hyperion 180's, hopefully they will perform.

I ordered three of them to try - yesterday

Why couldn't you post your experience earlier

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

i have now gone through 3 Lipos out of the 5 from Miniaviation, they are rated at 190mah and 25c. I used only 3 to get some cycles on them (have them since some day), but non of the 3 reaches the run-time of the original eflites.

Did also a test with heating them up, but they seem to perform nearly the same (poor) cold or warm. 2 mins on the Miniaviation, 2:30 on the eflites.

Will try some more flights (have now 10 on lipo one and 5 each on the other both), but so far they did not impress me at all...

Felice
felice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in