Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

for me, my actual maiden (very 1st flight) on my Protos last week, involved flips, inverted hover and tic tocs.
Normally though I take it very easy, as you said, make sure nothing falls off lol.
But with the Protos, well it just begged to be spanked, so i obliged lol.
It was ugly for sure, but fun as all get out
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

W00T! I got my half pack hover flight out of the way. Dialed the gain in on my gyro, let the new pack get a very light break in, and the next flight i got it done!

I had some of my buddy's that gave me a hard time about buying such a different heli over. Idle up on take off, and never looked back. We we're all in shock on how fast 60 feet of altitude could be gained, and lost in seconds! Man this thing is so quiet. I though i had problems on first spool up cause I couldn't hear it For all those in the building process. You will not be dissapointed! I hamfist the crap out of the collective for a good minute or two, and could not have been more happy to see this heli do what it was designed for. About the only thing I couldn't achieve were piro flips. (I can't do them) When i set it down my buddies had looks of disbelief. This heli get's it done!

The Protek packs from Amain live up to they're name.

Corrado,

Spanks! This heli rocks!

A
Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still didnt have the chance to really test it out on my maiden I was too busy tinkering with the belt and swash and also had the blades one twist out of track. But the one thing I did notice was the collective response was very very fast. And I dialled mine down to 12/12 pitch, I cant even imagine it at more than that.

Looking forward to Spring when I can fly her during the week as well as weekends....
Old 12-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

can't see video with Macbook?

go a new Macbook Pro and i can see the Finless's videos!?! What am i doing wrong?
thanks
flyfishsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishsick View Post
can't see video with Macbook?

go a new Macbook Pro and i can see the Finless's videos!?! What am i doing wrong?
thanks
Do other videos work correctly? I haven't viewed these with my MacBook (using a Windows PC right now), but I was able to view all videos in the past without problems.

If you haven't done so already, install DivX for Mac and Flip4Mac (Windows Media codecs for the Mac).
mjbrands is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks mjbrands!!!
flip4mac works great! now i can see Finless's videos!!!!
new to this Mac thing?
flyfishsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #167 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK the flight eval in now posted in the first post but here it is as well.

Flight Eval. This was my 3rd flight. Still taking it easy as I was still playing with the gyro settings and tail. I finally got it dialed in on the 4th flight. Gain is 20 on the gear channel travel adjust. In this video I had the gain a touch too low.
Video Link ->Flight Eval. This was my 3rd flight. (84 Megs)

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very very sharp! It seems to perform like its cracked up to. Question
Are the weights in the paddles?

and What are your expo setting?

Also you mentioned swash settings of 50 % I think my 9303 defaults to 60. Would I be setting these lower because it will be giveing me too much travel?

one last thing

New pack I ll assume, you mentioned 5 minutes Now is this your battery breakin method?
Electircs are still pretty new to me, I want to treat my bateries right from the start. Read about using only 80% of the pack (always I think) so how do you knw what that is?

Will you expect to get up to 6 minutes after the pack is gently broken in?

My past experience (wasn't to great so I think I may have not been doing things as I should have) I was flying until I felt a power start to drop and then I landed and recharged, (usually later that day or two days or so later)
Maybe I wasnt stopping soon enough.

If 5 minutes is a safe time for a 25mah 30C battery then Ill set my timer and simply stop at 5. Looks like lots of excitment awaits me and 5 minutes will actually be about right (provided I have 4 more packs ready to go
simmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #169 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Lets see..... many questions so here goes.

I did not balance the blades and had no vibes.

Maiden flight usually does involve some flips loops and rolls IF it feels close to dialed in. So hover first and do some pitch pumps and see how the tail is managing. If that goes well I go into FF for a few 8's and start to feel it out. If that is still going good I will start to throw it around a little.
This is on a heli I am not use to flying like this one. For this one the fact that I used different tail blades and the JR 770 gyro it took 4 flights to get that set where I liked it (gain and piro rate).

Yes I left the full weights in the paddles. These are the basic gorilla paddles and thus a little small for this heli so I left the weights in and for me it's plenty fast.

On cyclic I ran with 30% expo. I started at 15 and increased it as it was touchy when trying to fly slow and graceful. Some people probably dont need expo and can do that so it's a personal preference. For me 30% is what I like. Realize I have the head setup more sensitive than the 7 degrees recommended by the manual (I have 9) so for me it needed expo in the radio.

60 swash mix on my 9303 was too much! please watch out with this as this head can get a HUGE amount of pitch and cyclic without binding. If you setup like say a Trex450 and max everything just to the point it is almost binding, this will be too much on the Protos if you actually ever use it. I have seen a few Protos fly setup like this and if the pilot over pitches the heli starts flying weird. To be expected as they are stalling the blades! If your unsure your amount of pitch and cyclic pitch use a pitch guage!

My packs are very well used! All have them have been flown many many times on my Trex500 and Compass 500. On the Protos after 5 minutes of my style flying I was putting back in 1800 on the 2500 pack. So I could probably get 6 minutes. My Trex500 and Compass I put back 2000 in the 2500 for 5 minutes so this means the lighter Protos is taking less to fly. At least so far from flying it 5 times. If I throw it around harder I am sure that will go down.
I also have 3000 packs and prefer these as I do get a solid 6 minutes and am still only taking out less than 80%

Bob
Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, I also am running the K&B's tail blades. I noticed the same thing you did. Gain setting was a little funky because of the blades. Your thoughts are correct. I'll be doing some more tesing with the stock tail blades as soon as the temp gets above 10 degree's .

Proto's is definatly a keeper.

Is it just me or are the inverted characterisitcs so much more comfortable than most other heli's on the market?

Good stuff!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

So just to be clear, the KBDD tail blades in the video were NOT the 4mm root Protos blades?
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #172 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

They are a prototypes sent to me for "other" 500 sized helis with a 4mm root and the root end made flat so it doesn't hit the tail hub grip spindle bolt or nut. Some helis the grips are shorter and thus the KBDD 500 tail blades made for the T500 wont work as the root end is rounded and can hit the bolt or nut.

So other than root flat end, the blades are basically the same. For the Protos they maybe too big. I am going to cut mine down a little and try it again.

Bob
Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did balance my blades, and it's by far the worst blades i've balanced, they where ALOT more off then any other set i've tried.

So Bob, how do you like it so far? Will you say it's a better heli then the Rex 500?

Rune
Roadrune is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob,
Glad to see you finally got to take her out for a few flights. Looks like it was a great day for flying.
From what you have reported so far (weight in the paddles, 30% expo in the cyclic), and from the video you have posted - it looks like you could still enjoy the Protos with a much lower head speed. If you ran at ~2500 you could take the expo out of the cyclic and increase the gain on the 770. This would give you much more flight time and the flight characterists should be the same as what you were feeling on the test flights (maybe not has much collective punch and speed). The light weight enables the Protos to be an agile bird at a much lower headspeed than you'd expect for this class heli.
Don't believe me? Try it

On my 9303, I run all four idle-ups; Two for a 6S3300 pack and two for a 6S2500 pack (both 'Desire Power' packs). I run ~2700 on the 3300 pack and ~2500 on the 2500 pack.
When I feel like I want to go crazy - I'll just run the 3300 setting on the 2500 pack and remove the paddle weights
Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #175 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Actually I did start out on my first flight with a lower head speed. Wasn't sure what to set the Jazz idle up flat curve to so I started with 60% flat. I would say the head speed was about 24 to 2500.... Yes it flew nice but not as quick as I like. So I bumped it to 70% idle up and 75% in idle 2.
What you see in the video is idle 2.

Bob
Old 12-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

Now that you built and flew a few 500 Helis (TRex 500, Atom, Protos, maybe more) could you say a few words on each to summarize and which is your favorite?

BTW - after flying so many Helis, can any heli still get you excited?
ayash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #177 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I need some more time on this heli for sure and more on the Atom to really be able to give a honest eval of all of them. Not just how they fly which I already try to show in my first flight videos, but how durable and reliable they are which takes time to know. Until then... I can't really say to much more as it wouldn't be fair.....

Bob
Old 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

hehehe (yes I am a trouble maker)
fair smair which one flys the best at this stage
Things like, this one is livlier or feels more locked in, no interaction compared to that one etc.

(not really expecting an answer but still curoius) (you can PM me I wont tell a soul
simmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, ive been chasing my tail also with the KBDD tail blades on two different high end gyros and cant seem to dial out a touch a wag one way or drift the other. Looks like I might be putting the stock set back on to see if that makes life a bit easier. Right now Ive got 8 gain on AVCS mode in my 10C for my 770, talk about low!!
Synister is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

MSH offers the optional 3k tail blades that are among the stiffest I've ever seen in this size. The Solid-G has no issues with the 3k blades. I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in