Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red face pleaseeee help

hey yall. i juist got a walkera 4g3. this lil guy is extreamly sensitive to the controlls. ive tried to trim it out but everytime i take off to try to hover it is all over the place. just not sure what to do. any advice would be great.

Wes
-crash-wellthatdidntwork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Wes

That's what this heli is like. You can reduce cyclic pitch by adjusting the EXT pot on the 4 in 1. The plastic screwdriver you get with the heli fits the screw perfectly, and if you use it you can adjust the pot while the heli is powered up.

Power up, and move the cyclic stick as far as it will go in any direction. Slowly turn the EXT pot adjustment anti-clockwise, and observe the swashplate start to level out. When it suddenly goes back to a much more tilted position, you have passed the minimum and gone to the maximum, so just turn it back the other way just a tad. You have now found the minimum setting for the cyclic.

Is this your first heli?

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the information. I will try it when i get my parts in ill be ordering today.

Its not my first heli but it is the most advanced one ive had. I have had 2 different coaxial. One was crap and the second one was better but couldnt fly outside and to big to fly in my small apartment. I was able to get a good handel on the 2nd one but never really tried to just hover. I understand how to fly it completly but i dont have the experience nor do i have the knowledge to change different settings and know how to get things just right. i know how to trim it out with the trim adjusters but thats it. I just talked to a guy at wowhobbies.com today and he basicly informed me that i just bought an outdated heli and i should have gotten the 4g6s. I just dumped 225 after shipping and i dont want to go buy another 270 into a different one. I would really just love to be able to get a handel on this one and enjoy it. I do understand that it will take me awhile to learn how to but im just struggling getting it dialed in just so i can try to hover.

Do you know of a good simulator to use, and also where can i get a sim cable for my tx. it came with the cord to plug into the back of the tx but i need something else to make the rest of the connection to the computer.

Wes
-crash-wellthatdidntwork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 4G3 is an amazing amount of fun to fly, but all single rotor helis (with 90 degree flybars) are hard to learn to fly, and the smaller they get, the harder they are to learn to fly with. The 4G3 being a CP heli with almost no momentum makes it very twitchy indeed. Folk have learned to fly with them though, as you suggest it just takes practice and a LOT of patience.

It might be worth making or buying some lightweight training gear for it too, so you can get to grips with it close to the ground and it won't tip over every 2 seconds. Adding weights to the flybar is something else I've heard of folk do. I would have a look at mia micro flight, not necessarily to buy anything, but they have some good ideas for taming micro helis which you can implement yourself. Equal lengths of solder wrapped round each end of the flybar is a popular way of adding extra weights

The new 4G6S I reckon would be much easier to learn with due to it's 3 axis gyro, though it has a lot of issues and it's almost certain that Walkera will bring out an updated version in the near future.

What motors does your 4G3 have?

Dusty
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might find some info on the sim cable here, I just did a search but am havibg problems looking through the results due to my mouse acting up

https://www.helifreak.com/search.php?searchid=5097752
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The thing about the 4g3 and the 4g6 for that matter is that you have to get them up and out of ground effect pretty quickly.

If you go for a slow, scale type lift off it will make it much more difficult IMO.

When it starts to get light but isn't off the ground, bad things want to happen.

Is your 4g3 the double brushless or standard brushed motors?

I went through a lot of brushed motors on my 4#b and 4g3, then I busted the brushless tail motor after upgrading it and went to a 4g6.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiheli View Post
When it starts to get light but isn't off the ground, bad things want to happen.
But training gear should stop them from happening

I agree with what you're saying, and of course all helis are harder to fly in ground effect, and particularly small ones. Still it's one way of getting stick time, you don't learn much by picking the heli off the deck except how to fix it.

Re the sim, a good sim is Phoenix, but any sim is better than no sim.

Dusty
Old 05-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000 View Post
But training gear should stop them from happening

I agree with what you're saying, and of course all helis are harder to fly in ground effect, and particularly small ones. Still it's one way of getting stick time, you don't learn much by picking the heli off the deck except how to fix it.

Re the sim, a good sim is Phoenix, but any sim is better than no sim.

Dusty
True, training gear is probably a must for learning on a small heli like the 4g3.
miamiheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey guys. yeah ive got the training kit thats out for it and ive still busted up 3 sets of blades already. havent had it off the ground more than a few inches. i learned about the ground wash that yall are talking about some years ago but i forgotten about it. im sure that was a good chunk of my problems with it going everywhere. but when i did have it about 2-3 feet off the ground it was more stabel but still was all over the place. twice it did just randomly take off in a direction when i was counteracting what it was already doing. would yall recomend taking it to about eye level and going from there?

also i was testing its ballance and when i pick it up to check the side to side it would rock to one side. this is without the battery in it too. is there anything i can do to fix this?

I have the metal edition with the main brushless motor and brushed tail. im waiting on the tail gear to come in, (i just ordered it) i bent the shaft on a stupid careless action.

also, where do you guys get your parts at? the best place i have found so far is the wowhobbies.com. they have the best prices and they are in the usa. not over seas.

Wes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The brushed tail is a major pain, particularly when it has the weight of the brushless main motor to deal with. If you have a brushless main, you really need a brushless tail too. Check out clubheli.com as they sell the fabled jjetski tail motor holders, and they are the only Walkera retailer I have never heard a single complaint about. The 2.9g tail motor is the best.

I've never tried the metal head but apparently it's not up to much and the heli flies a lot better and is less twitchy with the plastic head. The rocking thing you mention could be slop between the main shaft and the head - the plastic head fits properly.

As for learning to fly it, I would try and keep it within a few inches of the ground until you have some sort of control over it, then is the time to take it higher

Dusty
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks, their prices are better too. they are a little bit closer than cali. once i get my parts in i will try what you said about changing the settings for the swashplate, but should i try and fly it farther than a few inches off the ground to avoid the ground wash?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The heli will want to go in it's own direction no matter if you are in the wash or not, just a lot smoother out of the wash, unless you ride the top of the "bubble". This little bugger (my novus cp and walkera 4g6) will require you to be constantly applying input to keep it stable. The trick is, to try and stay one step ahead of the heli as opposed to chasing it with the sticks. Try and anticipate where it is going and knock it the other way slightly. That was a huge step for me once I got that down. I have a very short attention span so this required my utmost concentration at all times in the air.
Jskrapper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think i know what our talking about with thinkin ahead. i could kinda see things about to happen, see a lil tilt here and there and now that you mention it stuff like that happened right befor it would take off in a direction.

thanks for all the help so far guys.
Wes
Old 05-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's it exactly, and practice makes perfect. Although it's even harder to fly in ground effect, training gear is pretty useless once you go higher. You will probably have to go higher to be able to hover it, but that's something to look forward to being able to do rather than something you should be attempting just now. So best thing you can do is get as much stick time as possible, rather than bench time, and to do that it needs to stay close to the ground.

Look up 'Radds' on youtube for some good vids on learning to hover

Dusty
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

well i got my parts in and got them on. did the adjustments. there wasnt much for it to move. it moved a lil bit and then went qll the way so that wasnt much help but thanks. i did manage to get a flight in without crashing yay. just guess im gonna have to just fly till i get use to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in