Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hyperion SuperDUO resets on Honda Eu2000i in Eco mode

Hyperion SuperDuo resets on Honda Eu2000i Eco mode
I just picked up a Hyperion SuperDuo and did my first couple of charges on it today. I've noticed that Hyperion chargers pause the charge several times during the charge, I think to check the pack voltage at resting state. The problem I'm encountering is that the charge ramps back up very quickly, and my generator does not throttle up fast enough when it's in Eco mode. This causes the charger to reset and the charge is stopped.

Is it possible to turn this feature off, or to make it ramp up the charge more slowly after pausing? I really do not want to be running my generator out of Eco mode. The charger is spending a lot of time charging at way less than max capacity once it goes in to CV mode, and continuing to run the generator at full throttle at this point is a huge waste. Also I usually run my generator all day long when I'm at the field and would prefer not to be messing around with it before and after every charge.

If anyone knows how to adjust this behavior please let me know!
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What power supply?

I run a Honda 2000i, icharger and super duo. all run from 4 HP 575watt power supply.
No problems like you describe.

Brian
bkc77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the EU 2000 and super duo as well with no problems on Eco mode.
AZAMG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are you charging 6S at 15-20A on both sides? It looks like my KillAWatt could have been causing problems too. I haven't hDN opportunity to test at full output without it yet.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use an eu 2000, iota DLS 27/40 and 2 super duos to charge 4 6s 5000 batteries at 2c simultaneously using Eco mode with no issues whatsoever.
AZAMG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My guess is the IOTA must not resume high current draw as some power supplies do. IIRC the IOTA's are not Power Factor Corrected though.

I'm running a Yamaha EF2000iS feeding a Cosel 27v/70A (power factor corrected) PS and a Super Duo and FMA PL8.

When I charged (2) 6s 5000mAh packs at 2C on the duo and (2) addl 6s 5000mAh packs on the PL8, my chargers did a "reset" and apparently the PSU voltage dropped when the super duo resumed charging from the short, batt condition checking pause.

Same condition that aralan describes. It's only done it once or twice though so maybe the timing was just right and the PL8 was ramping up at the same time.

That said, it would be nice if Hyperion would change the Super Duo so that it ramps up over 4-5 seconds after every batt check instead of instantly. That's what the PL8 does.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had the same problem with the EU2000, turned out on 98 instead of 95 octane fuel it was gone.. maybe try some higher rated fuel? as its only a few cents more per liter/gallon..

It got me thinking, how about some big caps on the output side of the PSU's? or even a Lipo? my HP ps in series put out 25.25 when there is no load(they drop to 25.05 with full load), that would give the charger some extra backup, so its not pulling that 1K load out of the genny in 1/2 a second.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

hello

I've tried the capacitor trick without success, it seems to delay it a little, but not fix it. This was on a smaller generator though (850W), so you may have more success. I think the problem manifests itself from an under voltage on the AC side which triggers a safety cut-off in the power supplies, when there is a sudden power requirement.

The capacitor I tried was a 100,000uF cap and was almost the size of a coke can.
theColonel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had mine charger reset on me in a middle of a charge last time I used my Honda genny..but it was the first time I maxed out the charger at 20 amps per channel with my 1300w power supply I. Eco mode
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had my charger reset on me in a middle of a charge last time I used my Honda genny..but it was the first time I maxed out the charger at 20 amps per channel with my 1300w power supply In Eco mode
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by theColonel View Post
hello

I've tried the capacitor trick without success, it seems to delay it a little, but not fix it. This was on a smaller generator though (850W), so you may have more success. I think the problem manifests itself from an under voltage on the AC side which triggers a safety cut-off in the power supplies, when there is a sudden power requirement.

The capacitor I tried was a 100,000uF cap and was almost the size of a coke can.
Maybe try a cap on the input side of the PSU's?

A Lipo should give better results on the output side...
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I sent a feature request to Hyperion to address this in late August. I received a test build designed to address this and have just begun testing today. So far the results look positive. I'm not sure when this will be released yet, but I will be exercising it as aggressively as I can charging 6S at 20A on both ports.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good info Aralan, hopefully a fix will be released soon!

Power Supplies already have capacitors on the input side, so it would make sense to fit larger ones to hopefully stop the PSU from powering off due to under voltage. Personally, I've not looked into this, as I don't want to mess around with high voltage AC, for fear of getting another electric shock, I still have scars from the last one

** Warning: I'm not sure this is safe, so don't try this at home! **
2 (12V) deep cycle lead acid batteries in series across the power supplies does work, I tried this some months ago. The problem in this scenario is that depending on voltages etc. the power supply may charge the lead acid batteries which it isn't designed to do, resulting in potential damage to the lead acid batteries/power supplies. (I'm not sure on this, these are just my concerns, it may be completely safe). Note: The few times I tried this, the voltage across the batteries was within 0.5 volts of the power supply output voltage. In this configuration though, I didn't see anything unusual. The generator still revved when the charge current jumped up, suggesting it was actually supplying at least some of the power to the charger. The big problem with this is the amount of equipment needed, having two lead acid batteries pretty much removes the need for a generator though and it's a lot of equipment to carry around.
The other alternative, which may not be the most helpful (for those with generators already), is to buy a 24V generator (some are even 12V/24V switchable). It's nice and easy and works pretty well, although my genny is a not very portable at 80KG (~175lbs). Check ebay for ex military equipment they do come up from time to time.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same thing happen repeatedly with 2 duo3+ chargers running on my buddy's EU2000i.

Here's what happens. During the charge cycle, the charger intermittently stop charging completely to take resting voltage readings on the batteries. When they do this, the econo mode on the generator senses that the load has gone away so it cuts way back on the throttle. When the chargers suddenly start up again, it catches the generator off guard. The RPM will drop low enough with so much demand on the genny that it can't keep up 110V on the outlet momentarily. This trips off the power supplies and chargers.

When I was pulling the 1200W from the chargers together, and they took a breather together and came back together, the generator would trip the chargers off. With only one charge going the genny could keep up.

I had to turn econo mode off in order to charge at full capacity. This kept the genny from choking when the heavy loads hit all at once.

You don't see this on charge start because the charger ramps up slowly at first. FWIW... I'm using 2 x Meanwell 27V supplies.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw a post about 2 weeks ago, unfortunately not sure which forum it was on (maybe here or rcg) that Hyperion are currently testing a firmware fix to ramp the current back up slowly during the charge too not just at the start, which should fix this issue once and for all
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's fixed, the release is going to happen next few days, just testing the last few items.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!!!! Will we lose all our presets?

Will there be a Duo3+ update as well?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTemp View Post
Awesome!!!! Will we lose all our presets?

Will there be a Duo3+ update as well?
Preset's will be lost, but you can connect the PC program to the old version now, save it to file, then when the new is released you can restore that file.

This firmware will be for all versions, so yes.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!!!! My 2xDuo3+'s crash the hell out of a genny!!! And ECONO rocks!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for the off topic, but is there any way to send suggestions to Hyperion Chargers team?

My 720 SDuo3 is awesome, but it lacks some simple features that my cheap iCharger 208 have, like Input Current display.

Best Regards.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in