Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Night Blade Color Choises

So im about to make my 350mm nightblades, but i cant really decide on what colors i should go with.

The leds i have are these

Red
Yellow
Orange
Green
Blue
White

I'm considering White Red Blue on the bottom and White Green Blue on the top.

However, i cold also go for 4 leds per blade and either have 2 of the green / red ones or add a Yellow/Orange one to each side.

Im going to solder up one of the leds in a little while as im not sure about their viewing angle or how bright they really are.

Edit: i do also have some spare Turnigy RGB led strips that i could take diodes from.

Edit2: I'm fairly tempted to use one RGB led per blade to get the purple color (or well, it wold be pink-purple ). The turnigy leds aren't exactly small. But then again my 6s motor would not really notice the difference in drag.

Picture of the components i have Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130814_103600[1].jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	443451

Edit3: looking at the specs of the 1206 leds only the withe, blue and yellow/orange one might be bright enough to be usefull. darn. That means ill have to use red&green from the turnigy strips if i want those colors.

Edit4: well no fast answers here. Blades functional. I still have to cover the wires, and put on shrink tubing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130814_164119.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	443505
With flash activated on my galaxy s2

Name:	IMG_20130814_201443.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	443499
Without flash

Name:	IMG_20130814_201500.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	443504

Last edited by xermalk; 08-14-2013 at 01:20 PM..
xermalk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I always try to make the top and bottom very distinctively different as an orientation aid.

You also want to avoid using the same colors for both blade and body of the heli, same colors blend together and make it hard to tell which way its pointed.

At night there are no bad colors unless you are color blind to that color.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me and a few people I've spoke with the blue & purple are very blurry colors hard to focus on. I do have blades with the blue on the bottom and green on the top this for me was ok on the blades but when I had them on the heli it was hard to keep orientation. Just finished my 4 night light set up and found that keeping one color on the boom helps out a lot too.

Compass Field Rep/KBDD Team pilot/Experiencrc.com
sewerfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned User

+1 for what Flyinfool and Sewerfly said.

I like to use either white, green or yellow on the tips. I learned the hard way when I put blue on the tips of the 550 blades. It gets halfway down a football field at night or especially at first light and the blue is practically unnoticeable.

I noticed from the pics you only have leds top and bottom. Next time you might want to try placing one on each tip. The light facing outwards makes a difference and looks really cool. It also highlights if your blades arent tracking perfectly. CA holds them in place and they wont come off unless you bump a blade tip into something.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in