Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Scale project - Need advice please...

I’ve been flying for about 1 year. This winter I would like to tackle a scale project. I want to model it after either a Bell 407 or an EC 135 (scale fuselage).

I have several questions and hopefully one of you can help me.

1. What electric heli would you recommend (e.g. T-Rex 550, etc.)?

2. What would be a good source for the scale fuselage?

3. How difficult is it to build a scale heli? I’m an engineer but have yet to build one.

4. What pitfalls should I avoid?

5. I have a Spektrum DX7s transmitter. What electronics would you recommend (including FBL controller, ESC, motor, etc.)?

It doesn’t have to be a 4-blade heli. I’m not sure I’m ready to attempt that yet, but maybe, depending upon what I read here. Your suggestions on this 4-blade vs. 2-blade topic are welcome.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the align 550( I stretched mine to 600) same as you its my 1st of this size.For simplicity get something with a straight tail boom..only a few mounting screws hold mine in (same place as were my landing gear screws are.
superfly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkennedy View Post
I’ve been flying for about 1 year. This winter I would like to tackle a scale project. I want to model it after either a Bell 407 or an EC 135 (scale fuselage).

I have several questions and hopefully one of you can help me.

1. What electric heli would you recommend (e.g. T-Rex 550, etc.)?

2. What would be a good source for the scale fuselage?

3. How difficult is it to build a scale heli? I’m an engineer but have yet to build one.

4. What pitfalls should I avoid?

5. I have a Spektrum DX7s transmitter. What electronics would you recommend (including FBL controller, ESC, motor, etc.)?

It doesn’t have to be a 4-blade heli. I’m not sure I’m ready to attempt that yet, but maybe, depending upon what I read here. Your suggestions on this 4-blade vs. 2-blade topic are welcome.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
RC Aerodyne has some really nice fuselages.They have a cool Bell 206 Jetranger I might get for my 700.Check them out. Very detailed.
AMA#1014992MCPX,CX2,CP-Pro, Blade450 3d,450X with Scorpion 8 and Align Airwolf fuse.Trex700E with AR7200bX,Gens Ace 5300,Scorpion backup
air grinder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also like RC Aerodyne.

I like the 500 size I put in to a huey body (posted here about it.) I also happen to like the Torque tail frames. I had a hell of a time putting a belted tail in a 450 huey fuse. I gave a scale body that is on beast X FBL and a fb fuse. FBL is easier to fly in my opinion. I am a new to the whole heli scene. If I can put mechanics into a fuse and have it fly anyone can.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

For simplicity, RCA fuselage & RCA Chaos 600 heli kit. They sell a nice plug & play 4 blade head for a 600 that has built in phasing, so it is easy. For FBL, you could use a cheap Align 3GX or similar with a P&P head, but a better FBL (Skookum, VBar etc is always going to be better).

Remember that if you buy a heli kit (like 550) with all electronics, you will probably be ditching the motor for a slower motor to achieve the lower headspeeds.

I like CC ESCs - nice soft start, good governor, data logging etc. Scale helis are low power (work on 50W per pound of weight for FF, so an average 600 sized heli on 12s will weigh about 15-18lbs), so you only need around 900W to fly, which is just over 20A, so a CC Edge 80 HV is plenty.

The motor needs to be specced for the right speed. My 600 Seahawk (4 blade) runs at 1350rpm, and has a 470kV motor with 13T pinion & 164T Trex 700 Mod 0.7 manin gear.

Also bear in mind that many fuselage suit the older Align helis (or clones like Chaos) better - most are not ideal for the 600Pro helis. Not sure about the 550.

As for difficulty, it depends how far you want to go. If you just want a mechanics that will drop into a ready painted fuselage, then it is pretty easy. If you want a custom paint job, custom decals, full cockpit etc then things get more complex.

I think the EC135 has a fenestron tail, which adds a new level of complexity, and many struggle to get them working well.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default I think I've decided on the build...

I appreciate all the replies!

I’ve decided that I don’t want to get too large on this scale project as my flying skills are adequate (circuits, sport, and I do no 3D) and I don’t want to crash a 700 size heli (cost, flying space, etc.).

So, I’ve been looking at the RC Aerodyne Bell 407 Super Combo Kit (Item Id: KF407WP4) and plan on installing an AR7200BX as the FBL controller.

Beyond that it doesn’t seem that I’ll need much more in the way of electronics or mechanics. I’m going to get the basic White Gel Coat fuselage and paint it (making my own decals, etc.). I figure I can get most of what I need for around $1,000.00 on this build.

I’m pretty much on my own here in Tennessee as the closest LHS is over 50 miles away and the local club doesn’t have any heli guys, so I have to rely on Heli Freak for a lot of my info.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions regarding the RCA Bell 407 Combo Kit, the build, painting, setup, or anything else it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

A 470 size is a bit of an oddball size, which may be a downside.

I think you may be lucky to get a 7200BX, motor, ESC, & 4 servos for $400 (assuming you have a Tx and lipos), but I have not priced them and it would depend on the quality of the gear.

Look at Callie Graphics for decals - she does a great job of printing professional decals based on your image files.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are some great ones. They go together very easily, look great and fly great.

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/....htm?pageid=96

I have also mounted some of these FunKey fuselage on various Century & Hirobo mechanics and seen some of them wrapped around various other mechanics (electric and nitro) from Align and Mikado. They also looked great and flew well.

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...tml?pageid=156

The fiberglass and paint work on these Funkey fuselages are all top notch!
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
scale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in