Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Arctic Silver 5 paste and Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive

I noticed that there is a huge difference in thermal conductivity of the paste and adhesive.

Arctic Silver Thermal Compount = 7 W/mK
Arctic Silver 5 = 350 W/mK

AS5 is 50 times better at heat transfer!

I was thinking about using the Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive near the edges of the Jive heatsink for hold power and then using Arctic Silver 5 around the center of the heatsink for the best thermal conductance. It seems like it would be a win/win solution assuming the adhesive is strong enough to hold the heatsink without using all the contact area for the adhesive.

An arrangement something like below where A = adhesive and P = paste:

Code:
AAAAAA
APPPPA
APPPPA
AAAAAA
I have heard the Jive doesn't get hot even when pushed hard on 90 sized helis so it would probably be a waste of effort but might be interesting to try if it makes me sleep better at night . Anyone else crazy enough to want to do something similar? Yes I do realize there will be 0 difference in the flying of the heli because of it hence the word crazy.

Last edited by StatiC; 08-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: change work to word and change Jazz to Jive!. oops
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah that would be a interesting thing to test.

I would imagine that the reason the straight paste is so much better is that is is missing the epoxy.

I really don't have direct data on this, but I think the AS Epoxy uses the same AS 5 stuff, just mixed in with epoxy, so its thermal abilities are reduced.

In interesting thought.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

If I can find AS5 somewhere with free shipping and still cheap I will end up testing it. Problem is that any comparison will be useless because I won't have another Jive with the normal Adhesive only to compare to unless someone at the local field has a Jive 80+ HV they would let me use at the field to compare.

Some might have an issue with spending $22 to glue a $6 heatsink on though . $14 for the Adhesive and $6 for the paste.

I just found a review of thermal greases and going by that review I am wasting my time for sure. Maybe I should just get some toothpaste for the center part . Just kidding of course as toothpaste would dry out.

A review of thermal compounds and regular stuff like toothpaste.
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Another one where the difference between cheese and arctic silver 5 was 4 degrees Fahrenheit!

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/...hootout_q209/1
StatiC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah I can see the difficult in all that, certainly would be a lot to confirm what and by how much.

Personally I think your theory is sound and probably would produce a better heat removal.

But like you said too, would it reduce your holding power?

Personally, I think it would hold fine enough as under normal circumstances, I don't know how rock hard on there it needs to be and so I think a perimeter application would hold fine. Then if it were in a accident, what ever more it would need not to break it free would from what ever impact it got, with that there, it most likely would break the sink, or damaged the ESC from it not coming loose.

I guess the only call is like what your thinking, by how much better would it be to if it would make it worth it, and, does it even really need that?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just found this tread, was posting in another about the same thing.
I have used the Artic Silver 5 since a long time when cooling computer components, and alreadry have it home.

I was thinking about the same idea as xStatiCa. Think cooling at least will be better then stock(CA), and that the Jive perhaps wont be trasch if the sink comes loose in a crasch.
AAKEE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

xStatiCa, have you looked at the thermal transfer properties of some of the heat transfer sticky pads that were mentioned in this thread? https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=333067

I don't have the need to research this myslef as I've already done the expoy thing.

But seeing as you were looking into this topic, seems like a nice way to go if it comes close the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in