Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jive 80HV on 6v?

So are there any known issues running the internal bec at 6v?

I've heard mention that there are some issues running 6v but wasn't sure if it was the HeliJive that had the issues.

I have run the seond/slave rcvr plug to help ditribute the amp load.

My Jive 80HV is new running version 9.

My equipment is 3-8717's a 251 and a vbar w/ rcvr.

12s w/ a HKIII4025-500 on a Furion 6

Thoughts or suggestions?
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well..., depends on the servos in use, how prone they are for producing a high amount of back EMF voltage (generator voltage).

The higher the BEC voltage by setup the higher the risk that the monitoring processor in the JIVE will cut the BEC output voltage if exceeding limits by servo generator voltages on top.

It starts to get critical from 6.5 volts on, the BEC output will be cut at the latest at 7 volts.

From JIVE's firmware version 9 on the BEC output will be disabled for only 250ms, after that the controlling processor will try to bring the BEC back.

But this can be dangerous anyway, especially for FBL systems, except of Vbar, because the stabilisor w'd try to recalibrate, which is impossible in-air.

It has been observed that the use of both BEC leads (master+slave) will increase the risk for a cutoff caused by overvoltage. On the other hand we cannot pass on the 2nd lead because we need a source resistance as low as possible.

A buffer battery can help here also.

"Generator servos": JR, Savox, Align (OEM), some HiTec also. "Less generating servos": BLS e.g.

See also http://62.153.249.80/jlog/jlog2-en/f...upport-battery.

Tom
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
But this can be dangerous anyway, especially for FBL systems, except of Vbar, because the stabilisor w'd try to recalibrate, which is impossible in-air.
The vbar can make a Hotstart within a few 0.1's of a second. it will reinitialize based on the last good cold start.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What are your recommendation for me then.
Just run the stock voltage setting?
1 lead or 2?
Or add an out board bec?
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Run 6 volts if you like to.

In any case use TWO leads.

But also: Use a buffer battery, a pack of 4x Eneloop 800mAh w'd be sufficient.
(Power up sequence: First the BEC, then the battery.)

--- And, please: We're not talking about an autorotation to make on that battery.

This BEC is extremely strong and reliable.

Tom
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
(Power up sequence: First the BEC, then the battery.)
Doesnt matter.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Doesnt matter
Does matter. How do you know?

No good to inject into the not running BEC causing the JIVE's processors to run on that voltage.
Why? Because all the power-up procedures would run against a hardware not supplied (drivers, switching FET bridges).

------
Hey, this is now the second time... Tell me please, what sources you refer your better knowledge all the time? Experience as a user? Experience can be deceiving sometimes..
Just because something several times had no negative impact, that does not mean that it is correct.

"Take over" here, I'm anyway since longer tired of forums. My little JLog support forum is enough.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoney View Post
So are there any known issues running the internal bec at 6v?

I've heard mention that there are some issues running 6v but wasn't sure if it was the HeliJive that had the issues.

I have run the seond/slave rcvr plug to help ditribute the amp load.

My Jive 80HV is new running version 9.

My equipment is 3-8717's a 251 and a vbar w/ rcvr.

12s w/ a HKIII4025-500 on a Furion 6

Thoughts or suggestions?
Rob,

Those servos are so bloody fast you won't notice the difference in 5.6v and 6v. Especially as awesome as you fly! A lot of the 6V issues were from the old v7 firmware.

Run both leads, don't shorten them and 5.6V will help to eliminate any of the back EMF stuff the other really smart guy was talking about!

Im running one at 5.6v with two leads and never had an issue with the Align servos or the Futaba ones I'm running now.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Does matter. How do you know?

No good to inject into the not running BEC causing the JIVE's processors to run on that voltage.
Why? Because all the power-up procedures would run against a hardware not supplied (drivers, switching FET bridges).

------
Hey, this is now the second time... Tell me please, what sources you refer your better knowledge all the time? Experience as a user? Experience can be deceiving sometimes..
Just because something several times had no negative impact, that does not mean that it is correct.

"Take over" here, I'm anyway since longer tired of forums. My little JLog support forum is enough.
I ve been doing it for 1 year on all my jives without problems. good way to test the bufferpack.
And I'm talking about 500flights/startups per jive.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Off topic. Sorry.

Quote:
I ve been doing it for 1 year on all my jives without problems. good way to test the bufferpack.
And I'm talking about 500flights/startups per jive.
That's what I meant.
How can you know that it will work with all firmware versions of the JIVE so? At least you did not differentiate on the firmware version.
I understood it correctly? No diode, or similar, which is to avoid current flowing into the BEC?

Okay...

Now tell me please, why in the world, I should waste my time by trying to answer questions from the perspective of a bit more inner technical knowledge? There will always be people like you that argue that as a user, they knew better. --- Parable: Ten times already I've been standing during a thunderstorm with a long, vertical metal rod in my hand in an open field. Nothing happened. So you can do it.

I know why I actually left all the forums, I forgot that apparently only for a moment.
You would also explain to me the operation of the JLog from the definitive knowledge of the user where I know every bit to his name.

This is a combat against windmills.. -- Carry On. I no longer want. Am not in a huff, I only was just forgetful. -- "Peace, joy, pancakes", as the German says.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It has nothing to do with the firmware, as the hardware in the jive is capable of accepting it.

There actually is a diode in the BEC of the jive
Old 08-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, guy, but you're hopeless clever fellow!
Quote:
There actually is a diode in the BEC of the jive
Aha... BS, completely.

You know nothing. Do you know the circuitry of the JIVE and functional details of the firmware of the processors? Hardly. Are you an experienced electronics engineer? Quite obviously not. I don't like to say such thing, but when I graduated, you're probably still running with the tin drum around the Christmas tree. tss tss tss... This is all quite annoying..

---
And also: You simply do not understand. But thank you that you have reminded me that it really makes no sense to post in forums. - Thus it is clear: I am not here to run a "professional" dispute about how Kontronik ESCs work. Such disputes I have with Kontronik, but not with users. Ergo, it's just an annoyance, if my statements are tough negated by posts from users like you. Information that I have to give the sense of this board, are devalued as a result, distorted, fogged. The whole thus makes no sense. I will just continue, from to time to write a FAQ article under "Related" on J-Log.net, which is definitely more efficient.

I'm gone. Congrats, dear friend.
That was my last post in this board. I Kontronik already said that I will not go on here. K should "send a substitute", if they want. Maybe RH will do it, but very likely no one.
Ciao.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoney View Post
What are your recommendation for me then.
Just run the stock voltage setting?
1 lead or 2?
Or add an out board bec?
Geez. Confusing Thread.

5.6V is fine, you will not notice any difference in flight between 5.6V and 6V with 8717's anyway.
Absolutely run both leads from the Jive to the Vbar/Rx.
Buffer pack is just added safety, and Kon. Recommends. 8717's are very amp hungry servos.

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in