Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #321 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony521 View Post
Ok, Thanks Superbee, i had already downloaded and extracted the files , so now when i'm ready, i'll just click on the silabs flash link and then browse to the esc that i select and go from there. What it was, I thought that i had to actually download the esc hex file by it self, and that's when my comp was giving me this other page to download. I am not too good to some things on the comp, so bear with me.
You do need to download the hex files. When you click on the link to download the hex files, if you get a dialog box with options to "Save" or "Open", make sure you select Save. If you select Open, you'll go through the "Select program to open file,,," nightmare you've been going through.

If your web browser doesn't give you the "Save" option, do this instead...

Right click on the link to the hex files, then select "Save target as..." option.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #322 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712 View Post
Why not use this tool : https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=269
It is very easy to use...
Very true, but even to use this tool, he has to successfully get the hex files downloaded to his hard drive first.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #323 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I have exactly that setup on one of my helis. Flies great, the ESC handles heavy flying!
Great, thanks again. Hobbyking XP3A's should be here any day and I'm ready to go.
Cujo22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #324 (permalink)
Registered Users

@Steffen+@all:

are there any wishes, what else (parameters, handling) to integrate into the BlHeli Setup?

Next Version from me will contain a Parameter: Eep_Gov_Rearm_Start, which will allow to disable the Re-arming of MAIN BESC at every Re-start of the motor.
4712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #325 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great job sskaug and 4712, thanks for your hard work! And the detailed instructions and the application to program the ESC are all very easy to follow. I love it, if for nothing else simpler wiring without the converter.

I got a esc flashed and was able to get a few flight in.... and then my tail motor died so haven't really got a good feel for flying with the governor yet... I did notice the throttle drop a bit on hard pitches before it caught up again? I assume I can increase the P and I gains to have the governor a bit more aggressive? Then again it could have been my dying Sr120 tail motor drawing all the power away from the main also? Btw using a rewould hp08 motor similar to Don's rewind.
fretman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #326 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I worked on finding the "sweet spot" for a governed hp05s...

87% appears to work very well. Enough head speed for instant pop without worrying about much bogging. It's also a good speed for the BLHeli BL tail. The brushless tail really likes faster head speed (just as Dylan said it did) and is much faster/more accurate above 80% on the hp05s.

Anything below 85%, and the tail started hunting. Bogging still not bad, though.

Steffen, did anything change in the latest release concerning throttle resolution? I now appear to have 100% throttle resolution, whereas with my last xp7a, I didn't.

It could have been the esc, though; it completely lost the ability to detect a throttle signal eventually (i'm still using the same throttle signal wire with my new xp7a that I was using with the one that won't recognize throttle signal).
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #327 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another huge props to Steffen and Dylan

Only brought my first heli with me to Florida, so decided to double BL my 915 .Got parts from dylan for my seconds birds HP06v2.

Honestly It took a while to finish everything from start to finish. Especially upgrading and fitting the new wires for the HP03T (I used the largest size in the radio shack 3 pack of magnet wire, 22 AWG I think). I also cut the stock wires pretty close to the motor, so hopefully it gives better current flow to the motor.

So far hovers amazingly well at 70% and 100%. Piro's perfectly, and stops on a dime. Pitch pumps held great, but indoors are very limiting for obvious reasons

Outdoor flight tomorrow!

Hopefully the 915 works well with the BL tail during hard 3D. Otherwise Ill be swapping the HP06V2 in.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #328 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Dp3a for tail

Anyone know if the dp3a performs well as a tail esc once flashed? I have one that I had tried on a walkera long ago but removed it immediately because it was just too slow. I see it listed as one of the esc's here but wonder if flashing with blheli code will fix that and turn it into a suitable tail esc?
fretman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #329 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi sskaug,
Thanks again for your great job.
Which one, Atmel or Silabs flashed with your blHeli code you feel more better than other for mcpx main and tail motor?

thx
wong272 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #330 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjah413 View Post
Another huge props to Steffen and Dylan

Only brought my first heli with me to Florida, so decided to double BL my 915 .Got parts from dylan for my seconds birds HP06v2.

Honestly It took a while to finish everything from start to finish. Especially upgrading and fitting the new wires for the HP03T (I used the largest size in the radio shack 3 pack of magnet wire, 22 AWG I think). I also cut the stock wires pretty close to the motor, so hopefully it gives better current flow to the motor.

So far hovers amazingly well at 70% and 100%. Piro's perfectly, and stops on a dime. Pitch pumps held great, but indoors are very limiting for obvious reasons

Outdoor flight tomorrow!

Hopefully the 915 works well with the BL tail during hard 3D. Otherwise Ill be swapping the HP06V2 in.
Awesome stuff mate - I ordered all my double brushless stuff from Dylan the other day, eagerly awaiting the delivery of my HP06V2 + HP03T!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #331 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post
Anyone know if the dp3a performs well as a tail esc once flashed? I have one that I had tried on a walkera long ago but removed it immediately because it was just too slow. I see it listed as one of the esc's here but wonder if flashing with blheli code will fix that and turn it into a suitable tail esc?
It will work fine, same basic hardware as the XP-3A just lower quality FET's.
Dylwad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #332 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post
Great job sskaug and 4712, thanks for your hard work! And the detailed instructions and the application to program the ESC are all very easy to follow. I love it, if for nothing else simpler wiring without the converter.

I got a esc flashed and was able to get a few flight in.... and then my tail motor died so haven't really got a good feel for flying with the governor yet... I did notice the throttle drop a bit on hard pitches before it caught up again? I assume I can increase the P and I gains to have the governor a bit more aggressive? Then again it could have been my dying Sr120 tail motor drawing all the power away from the main also? Btw using a rewould hp08 motor similar to Don's rewind.

I would guess the rewound HP08 is too hot for proper governing with the Hyperion 550, the 915 is at the upper limit IMO. I measure 10 amps at full pitch with the HP06V2/9 tooth, can only imagine what the 915 and such are trying to pull from the system, battery being the weakest link, especially if it wasnt cared for properly. I notice a huge difference in Gov performance between a good 550 and abused one.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #333 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong272 View Post
Hi sskaug,
Thanks again for your great job.
Which one, Atmel or Silabs flashed with your blHeli code you feel more better than other for mcpx main and tail motor?

thx
They are quite similar in performance, but the SiLabs have a few advantages:
- Damped tail mode is supported.
- Main headspeeds should go to 9000rpm+ (Atmel is limited to about 5500rpm).
- There are only 3 wires required for flashing (Atmel needs 6).
- The BLHeli Setup software can be used with SiLabs.
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #334 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
I would guess the rewound HP08 is too hot for proper governing with the Hyperion 550, the 915 is at the upper limit IMO. I measure 10 amps at full pitch with the HP06V2/9 tooth, can only imagine what the 915 and such are trying to pull from the system, battery being the weakest link, especially if it wasnt cared for properly. I notice a huge difference in Gov performance between a good 550 and abused one.

Dylan
Dylan, I suggest you try the Lectron Pro 600 mAh 35C battery.
I have yet to test them thoroughly, but first impressions are very good, definitely better than mine Hyperion, which however are a little used.
A valid comparison test should include new batteries, but unfortunately at the moment I don't have any new 550 Hyperion battery.
liftbag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #335 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftbag View Post
Dylan, I suggest you try the Lectron Pro 600 mAh 35C battery.
I have yet to test them thoroughly, but first impressions are very good, definitely better than mine Hyperion, which however are a little used.
A valid comparison test should include new batteries, but unfortunately at the moment I don't have any new 550 Hyperion battery.
I have 8 new hyperions on the way, maybe if you order that battery for me I can test them
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #336 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you would like to build ultra lightweight ESCs for your mCP X, you can do like this:
Start off with one of the small ESCs, the DP 3A, the XP 3A or the Supermicro 3.5A (the lightest one).

Then replace the FETs with good FETs, like for instance the DMN2041/DMP2035:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...ICT-ND/2182586
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...ICT-ND/2181234

For the main you "piggyback" a second set of FETs on top of the first.
Such an ESC with double DMN2041/DMP2035 is better than an XP 7A and only weighs about 0.4g.
Thanks you so much Steffen for your amazing work and making this possible!

I'm interested in replacing FETs but can't seem to find both FETs shown above here in the UK. Are there any equivalent FETs that could be used?

Also sorry if this is a silly question but how do I tell which FETs are N or P channel on the ESC when replacing them?

Also I have a couple XP 3A ESCs that are not working. They respond to programming but no output when throttle is applied. Could this possibly be faulty FETs causing this problem? If so is there a way to test the FETs to tell which ones are faulty?

Thanks again for your help!
microheliaddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #337 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, perhaps look for:
IRLML6244 = N-Fet
Si2333CDS = P-Fet

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XP-3A rear P-N-FET.jpg
Views:	5612
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	303024  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #338 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by microheliaddict View Post
Thanks you so much Steffen for your amazing work and making this possible!

I'm interested in replacing FETs but can't seem to find both FETs shown above here in the UK. Are there any equivalent FETs that could be used?

Also sorry if this is a silly question but how do I tell which FETs are N or P channel on the ESC when replacing them?

Also I have a couple XP 3A ESCs that are not working. They respond to programming but no output when throttle is applied. Could this possibly be faulty FETs causing this problem? If so is there a way to test the FETs to tell which ones are faulty?

Thanks again for your help!
If you don't find Achim's proposals below, you can search for SOT23 fets that have low on resistance specified at 2.5V. That is the basic criteria for a 1S ESC. If you are going above 1S, you also need to look for maximum voltage that the fets can handle.

As for the ESC not responding to throttle signal, are you sure you have chosen the correct hex file? Maybe a dumb question, but I have done the error myself The input signal is on different pins on the various ESCs. I do not think faulty fets cause this. If one or more fets are faulty you will generally have a motor that "wiggles" but does not run.

There is also a notice of caution on choosing the right hex file, as some erroneous combinations of hex file and ESC can burn fets.
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #339 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712 View Post
Hi, perhaps look for:
IRLML6244 = N-Fet
Si2333CDS = P-Fet

HTH
Thanks 4712 this helps a lot!

Quote:
If you don't find Achim's proposals below, you can search for SOT23 fets that have low on resistance specified at 2.5V. That is the basic criteria for a 1S ESC. If you are going above 1S, you also need to look for maximum voltage that the fets can handle.

As for the ESC not responding to throttle signal, are you sure you have chosen the correct hex file? Maybe a dumb question, but I have done the error myself The input signal is on different pins on the various ESCs. I do not think faulty fets cause this. If one or more fets are faulty you will generally have a motor that "wiggles" but does not run.

There is also a notice of caution on choosing the right hex file, as some erroneous combinations of hex file and ESC can burn fets.
Thanks for the info.. the ESC is not responding to throttle response before even flashing with BLHeli code. Will try flashing as soon as I get my Toolstick and hopefully they will work unless there is a faulty component! Is there a way to test if FETs are faulty with a multimeter? Seems like all the caps and resistors are fine and nothing looks burnt.
microheliaddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #340 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did You bear in mind, that the original XP-3A is not capable of processing PWM signals from mCP X?
It is only able to react to Servo signal (PPM).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in