Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A little aggravated!

It may be a little to early to be aggravated, but I'll post anyway. I purchased the mcpx v2 yesterday. This is my first CP heli so I know out the box I'm gonna have to get used to the new controls. I'm very new to heli flying, about 2 months in now, I have a little 3 Chanel bird that I fly around the house pretty well. Anyway, after trying to bind the heli for about 30 minutes I finally get my solid LED and get excited.

So I get all prepared, nervous as all get out, throttle up and this thing is just going all over the place. Is this normal for a CP heli? I mean it wants to roll, tip, spin all while sitting on the ground with me only using the throttle. Also, every time I change the battery I have to rebind the heli. I love this thing and I'm excited to learn to fly it its just a little aggravating that I can't even get it off the ground without it going nuts. I'm using the stock radio at this time with it. Am I a little to premature in my aggravation with this thing. I know this is not going to happen overnight but I'd at least like to get the thing hovering.

Any tips, tricks, criticism welcome!
Cmcdonald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok, few things going on here which some experienced pilots could help you out with. First thing is yes... Welcome to cp helis. They are inherently unstable, and they will go wherever the hell they want to unless you can correctly control them.
However, it sounds like you may have an extreme case. If you have to rebindevery time, there's something wrong with that board. As long as you are doing it correctly, however. Just make sure you turn the transmitter on first, every time. If you turn the heli on before the tx, it will look for a bind.

Second thing is you should ditch that stock tx. Get yourself a dx6 at least, you will have much better control, and be able to tune it alot as well. It will save tons of frustration, just by getting a better radio.

Last thing is that you may have bitten off more than you can chew. Don't take it the wrong way, I don't know how fast of a learner you may be, however I know very well how steep of a learning curve helis come with. Going from a 3 channel straight to a cp, especially something as squirrely mcpx, is like riding a bike with training wheelsthen going straight to a 1200 street bike. As convenient as the mcpx is, believe it or not a raptor 30 is a much better first cp bird to start with.

That being said, don't give up on the mcpx. Get yourself at least a dx6, and try to get with an experienced pilot in your area, because we can help online, but theres nothing like somebody to learn from in person.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, and yes I probably did bite off more than I can chew but I'm ok with that as long as it's what is supposed to happen with the CP Heli's. My next investment is the 6i, I just didn't have the cash to put out for them both yesterday when I picked up the heli so I figured I would try the stock radio with it and see how it goes.

Looks like I've got a lot of practice ahead of me, but that's fine. The little bird looks hellafun to fly. I thought I may be ready for it after mastering that little 3 channel bird but boy was I in for a rude awakening lol. Anyway, it's all good, I love a good challenge. And as far as having to rebind all the time I think you answered that as well, I've been plugging the battery in on the bird first then the radio. Thanks for the help, any other info or tips would be more than welcome.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply, and yes I probably did bite off more than I can chew but I'm ok with that as long as it's what is supposed to happen with the CP Heli's. My next investment is the 6i, I just didn't have the cash to put out for them both yesterday when I picked up the heli so I figured I would try the stock radio with it and see how it goes.

Looks like I've got a lot of practice ahead of me, but that's fine. The little bird looks hellafun to fly. I thought I may be ready for it after mastering that little 3 channel bird but boy was I in for a rude awakening lol. Anyway, it's all good, I love a good challenge. And as far as having to rebind all the time I think you answered that as well, I've been plugging the battery in on the bird first then the radio. Thanks for the help, any other info or tips would be more than welcome.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea, always have the TX on first. The binding procedure on eflite helis is to plug in the bird first then the tx.
Hang in there, you're in for a hell of a ride with this hobby.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 to what gitbse said

Don't be discouraged. Some people buy mCP-X as their first (and only) rc helicopter and learn to fly with it. Difference between mCP-X and 3 channel heli is like difference between bicycle with or without stabilisers!

It won't stay on the spot on its own. Even then, when people got first mCP-Xes they said it is one of the really stable small, perfect learner helicopters. It still is!

Take is easy and one step of the time: don't try to 'fly' it all around in one go within one battery. Get used to the why it behaves and put enough time into acquiring muscle memory needed for hovering it tail in first. Fly over soft grass, don't fly it too high and don't give up.
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default In the same boat ... err, heli..

I know how you feel! I am myself struggling with the exact same issues! Yesterday, I was feeling 'taken in' by this hobby and got PO'd. I am convinced that the heli's are created as a device to part me and my money. I was naive at first both as to what it took to fly a heli and to my own ability. I devised a strategy and purchased a Blade mCX2, mSR, and the mCPX. I also purchased a DX6i as one radio to bind them all. I also have the Phonix simulator with the DX6i as the controller and all these model heli's are in that sim. I am having a lot of fun AND learning more from the mCX2 as it is definitly is NOT a toy! it has quick moves and is much more capable than the 'toys' in the Mall.. The mSR gets me into the single-blade, fixed pitched learning curve, and then ... of course... the mCPX as the bane of my existence. I will not buy any larger Blade heli's until I have masterd these three! I wsill NOT fly outdoors until I 'graduate' as I don't need to add the wind as a complication at this stage!
You will DEFINITELY want to get at least a Spektrum DX6i to program in parameters to tame the heli down to your skill level. Everything you will need to know for this is on this forum! I have gotten mine tamed down to where it is not trying to destroy itself on my floor. I have all mine with differing settings ... even the mCX2 ... programmed into the DX6i.
Lastly, take your time! You are attempting to 'rewire' your brain! You may not remember what it was like to ride that bike or drive that car for the first time. I leanred to drive on a stick with a clutch. Wow! I didn't know what to do next as I had to use my brain to THINK first before working the controls. I bet now you can do that kind of thing asleep and make the moves without thinking. That is the point. You must train until the 'moves' to keep the heli controlled are instinctive and your brain is removed from the equation.This TAKES TIME!
Devise a plan, a strategy, and stick with it. You will need a lot of sim and stick time to get to where you want to be. Get comfortable with that fact and relax!
Good Luck .. you will not find a better resource for info, advice, and help than this forum!
bchick1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I did manage to get airborne a few times with the heli but it was rather windy out so I didn't get to play much. I think I'll actually set this one to the side until I get a better radio for it. I'd rather start off learning with a much better radio than the one that came stock. This seems to be a great place to read and learn, very nice folks from what I've seen so far. Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even though 'proper' radio helps a lot - that doesn't mean you'll be able to control it much better. It might be slightly easier or easier to do something you wanted (like tiny circuits at some point) but in general skills needed to hover it are such that you'll need to get them no matter of transmitter...

Take it easy and don't try to do too much at once - just tiny hops and radd's school of rotary flight kind of things and you'll get used to CP heli you have...
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcdonald View Post
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I did manage to get airborne a few times with the heli but it was rather windy out so I didn't get to play much. I think I'll actually set this one to the side until I get a better radio for it. I'd rather start off learning with a much better radio than the one that came stock. This seems to be a great place to read and learn, very nice folks from what I've seen so far. Thanks for all the help!
I followed the exact same path you have just a few months ago... co-axial three channel toys straight to an mCPx. I did, however, do a lot of research on the net before purchasing the mCPx. Because of this I got the DX6i with my BNF mCPx. Without this and the research I think I may have given up trying to control the little dragon fly!!!. Three months later I now have purchased a Blade 130x and then a T-Rex 450, built it, and love flying them. My point is, don't give up because you will look back in a few months and laugh! I will say the site http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ was the most helpful beyond Heilfreak. Enjoy the bug!
Goblin 500, IKON, Edge 100, TM1000
ThomasHumble is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

don't give up. I started out with the same problem with the msrx and am feeling comfortable flying my Trex 450 now. Make sure to add some Dual Rate in there. I think I run 30% on my mcpx. Try 40 if you need.
alexd1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DX4e really is terrible, and it teaches terrible habits - the throttle kill switch is on the left hand side!! Try flipping the left switch with your DX6i and you'll spin the motor up to full 100%!

You made a smart move by setting it aside until getting a DX6i, try finding a used one on craigslist locally, or on HeliFreak for sale forums here.

Then you can really tame it down.

In the mean time, read up on throttle curves, pitch curves, idle-up switch, and throttle-hold switch.

Basically your left stick's up and down motion controls both the pitch of the blades collectively, and the throttle percentage that the motor spins at. The "curve" of each is what tells it what to do at the current stick position.

I was exactly where you are now just several months ago, but reading HF every day has helped me tremendously!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcChip View Post
You made a smart move by setting it aside until getting a DX6i, try finding a used one on craigslist locally, or on HeliFreak for sale forums here.
Others might disagree but you may want to go ahead and get the DX7. I ran into an issue with my T-Rex 450 and the 3GX where the 3GX doesn't map the gyro signal in such a way that I could use the 3GX without my 6210 receiver and still get the functionality of the gyro switch on the DX6i, I could have just plugged in a satellite receiver to the 3GX if the gyro signal was mapped correctly in the 3GX. (Space problem). Maybe someone has other reasons to use the DX7 versus the DX6i, or not. Don't get me wrong, the DX6i was definitely the right thing to do for the mCPx. I also agree with PcChip about the Throttle Hold switch... It will become your friend in that it allows you to kill the throttle with one switch if things go wrong (and they will in a hurry) to prevent more damage when you hit the ground. i.e. broken main shaft, stripped main gear, broken blade grips... One other thing, I found it cost effective to purchase a BNF (Bind-N-Fly) mCPx as a parts heli versus buying each part individually, gives you a better chance to have at least one heli flyable. I think if you buy the mCPx in parts it costs around $440 versus around $169 for the BNF version.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simple - don't use 3GX, I hear it's terrible anyway. I reccomend hb800 or beastx.

And yes, you're not the first person I've seen buy a new mcpx to only use for parts, it's cheaper that way (but makes you look crazy to your sig-other)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Simple - don't use 3GX, I hear it's terrible anyway. I reccomend hb800 or beastx.

And yes, you're not the first person I've seen buy a new mcpx to only use for parts, it's cheaper that way (but makes you look crazy to your sig-other)
The jury is still out on the 3GX. I have taken the trouble to send it back per their request to test it due to a backward drift issue. If they say the unit is ok then I haven't ruled out vibration as I have some data points that indicate vibration is a factor. If a few more tweaks don't fix the issue then I'm going beastx asap! And it was a little dicey convincing the sig-other that purchasing another was the right thing... Not sure she didn't just give up versus really agree.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The good news is if you once you learn to fly the MCPx you can just about fly anything. Larger helis with a good flybareless controller will take off straight up without any movements in the controller in fact even with the MCPx the more you move the sticks the more the gyro tries to adjust. You will find if you raise the collective (throttle) slowly to between quarter and half stick than quickly move it up until its in the air between half and 3/4 stick you won't need corrections. Once you move the sticks while its on the ground you will continue to fight the gyro until its in the air. Many of us can help you with good beginner settings once you get another radio. I agree with above if you plan to do more in this hobby the difference between the dx6 and dx7 isn't bad and the 7 is a much better radio. I set up helis on both every day and either will work but I find as people progress they sell their 6 and buy a 7 or 8. If you can afford the 7 it will save you money down the road.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Genuinely curious as I still have a DS6i (dsmx) - what makes the 7 and 8 better besides the extra channel(s)?

And what's the difference between all the different 7 models?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Genuinely curious as I still have a DS6i (dsmx) - what makes the 7 and 8 better besides the extra channel(s)?

And what's the difference between all the different 7 models?
To keep this a little shorter I will give the main things. First difference in the dx7 and dx7se. Either will work with helis or planes but the dx7 is set up with the switches placed more for fixed wing flying. The throttle clicks each spot you move it up like a ratchet. The dx7 se has switches set for heli pilots, has a smooth throttle and faster rate for servos. Differences in the dx6 compared to 7 and 8. The 6 has a 10 model memory, the 7 has 20, and the 8 has 30. The next is the 7 and 8 have more swash type setups. The 7 and 8 have 2 idol up positions and 3 duel rate positions compared to the 6 with 1 idol up position and 2 duel rate positions. The 7 and 8 have a lot more mixing capabilities for both planes and helis. If you hold a 6 and a 7 or 8 you will see the 6 does not have a good weight or feel to it. There are 3 trainer options on the 7 and 8 compared to 1 on the 6. The 7 and 8 come with a NiMh battery and an optional LIPo can be added. The dx6 uses AA batteries. With all that said the dx6 is a good radio if its all you can afford. I have set up plenty of 600s for people on the 6.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I managed to get the heli up and move around the living room a few times but not without some crashes lol. Had to replace the swash already and have now split the tail boom, but hey those are easy fixes. Still trying to get used to how fast this little thing reacts, it's much different than my previous 3ch coax bird but it is much fun. Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started the same way. Move crash repeat. It will come. I think I took a week or two I'd this just to learn to hover.

Once you get better parts start lasting a lot longer.
alexd1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in