Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thinking About Warp 360

Hey gang,
Like the title says, I'm really in my comfort zone with 450 size machines, just seems like best fit for my flying fields (soccer pitches), and I'm tired of tweaking my old Trex450 SE turned FBL frankenheli....
Excited about new Gobby380, but time is a wastin" thinking about picking up a Warp 360 kit in the interim and ditching the old Trex450....
Is the Warp 360 still readily available? Don't want the same thing to happen once I got a Furion 450 kit....Never built it, then MA goes out, and I have a nice kit for someone needing spares...

Anyway, I think this is a great flying model, and just hoping it is still viable to buy, build, fly, and repair...

Any ideas or opinions would be great...
I currently fly a DX8 and an Ikon/Brain controller which I have gotten dialed in pretty well with the Trex450.

Thanks!
Franz in NJ
Assistant to the assistant manure spreader at Middle Creek Stables, LLC
VonRecktofen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few months from now there will be some others. KDS Agile, and the Goblin look strong.

Right now the Warp360, miniprotos and Gaui X3 are on top. The miniprotos is having pinion problems right now, so that leaves two.

I did a lot of research and just bought the Warp360 because it is quieter then the X3. Otherwise it was a tie.

I don't think there will be a availability problem for a few years. My opinion only FWIW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also in the process of researching a 450 running 6S that I intend to be my primary park flyer and also to most likely replace my 450Xs.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Warp and X3... Actually asking for feedback here on the Warp forums and via PM from folks who fly the Warp (and in another case, also the X3). Let me first say that the feedback I got were all very helpful.

Based on what I gathered, the Warp appears to be perfect for my needs... Which as stated is primarily a park flyer that is quiet, flies better in windy conditions than my 450Xs, plus more reliable to boot. I am not really after too much performance and I actually intend to run this at lower to normal headspeeds. This is more for practicing moves and for longer flight times.

The only reason I have not yet fully made up my mind on the Warp is because all my helis, aside from the 450Xs are Compass. Make no mistake, I like my Compass helis... they fly well and are very reliable. Sometimes I just feel maybe it is time to try another heli from a different brand.

Getting an X3 would be an easy decision if it were not for the fact that the Warp is quieter which is what I gathered from my research.

Another 6S 450 I was looking into was the KDS as mentioned by Distructor but, and this is just my opinion, it is relatively new and I really don't want to take the risk that there might be teething problems on a newly released heli... Just like when the Warp was released.

EDIT: Regarding availability of parts, I have been flying Compass for 2 plus years and have had no major issues. There were parts that were out of stock from time to time but I was able to source them from different dealers. The longest I had to wait was around 3 weeks for the part I was awaiting for to be in stock and delivered. I have a few helis so waiting 3 weeks for a part was not too big of a deal.

I also like the fact that Compass competes in the HeliMasters even thought they don't win. Also they keep refining and updating their product line and in many cases the updates can be retrofitted to existing models.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Warp is great, but at this point, I'd personally wait for the Chase 360. Supposed to be in stock and shipping by the end of the month. It'll support 385's out of the box and the battery space is next to none... lots of room for experimenting, if you're into that. I'm getting one. You won't be locked into one battery size to maintain cog, and rear loading batteries... no canopy to remove.

The Warp is quiet. The Chase will probably be pretty quiet because it's mostly belt driven (unless you opt for the torque tube, if that's actually going to be a production option, I dunno).
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
The Warp is great, but at this point, I'd personally wait for the Chase 360. Supposed to be in stock and shipping by the end of the month. It'll support 385's out of the box and the battery space is next to none... lots of room for experimenting, if you're into that. I'm getting one. You won't be locked into one battery size to maintain cog, and rear loading batteries... no canopy to remove.

The Warp is quiet. The Chase will probably be pretty quiet because it's mostly belt driven (unless you opt for the torque tube, if that's actually going to be a production option, I dunno).
I am actually looking forward to field reports from the early adopters of the Chase 360. If it can go at least 100 flights (unless crashed) without needing to replace anything (I am a bit leery of the longevity of its belt drives), is relatively quiet at non insane headspeeds, and can get at least 4 minutes, preferrably 5 minutes from a lipo then I will definitely consider getting one.

One thing I forgot to mention above is I also want to experiment in low headspeed flying and again from my research this is one area which the Warp excels in. I am in no hurry and can wait another one to two months before pulling the trigger.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the belt drive, the X3 is quieter than its initial torque tube release.

However, the tail on the X3 starts to get sketchy under lower head speeds. This is definitely not the case with the Warp. The X3 could really use a smaller tail gear for low head speeds.

But I agree with others, if you're not in a hurry I'd wait for the new helis coming out.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I am actually looking forward to field reports from the early adopters of the Chase 360. If it can go at least 100 flights (unless crashed) without needing to replace anything (I am a bit leery of the longevity of its belt drives), is relatively quiet at non insane headspeeds, and can get at least 4 minutes, preferrably 5 minutes from a lipo then I will definitely consider getting one.

One thing I forgot to mention above is I also want to experiment in low headspeed flying and again from my research this is one area which the Warp excels in. I am in no hurry and can wait another one to two months before pulling the trigger.

Well, I won't discount the possibility of initial release issues. There's always a possibility.

All I've seen are insane headspeed flights, but judging from it's sleek and minimalist design is that the heli itself is gonna be really light and battery space is going to be immense. I'm getting 8 minutes out of my 500x, so using the same 3000mah batteries, I'm hoping I can stretch an extra minute or two of flight... but I'm not going with 420s, I want to run 3-blade 385's at around 2200-2400 rpm... but at this point the idea of a 3-bladed head has only been toyed with... I'm trying to keep that discussion alive.

My only gripe with the Warp is that it's battery finicky because of the placement. The Chase doesn't look like it'll have this issue... in testing they rigged 4 3s batteries into a 12s, ran 6s up to 2650mah and many other configurations.

So I know it'll be an extremely light disk loading heli if you want to run it that way... I don't mind it a little heavier. All I do is big air, no real 3D, so I'd rather have air time than insane smack power.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Things are getting busy in the 360 arena
Which is a good thing...
The Warp is a terrific flier. Stable, agile, silent, smooth, reliable and with a tail authority hard to match (if possible).
But two new players are coming to the game, and it will be tough. The Warp is a 2 years (excellent) design, newer designs tend to have something new, in this case 380 blades will add some extra pop/stability.
If in a rush to build a proven design, well the Warp is the best around, not the cheapest but it flies the biggest
Then you will have a base to compare with any future build.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the input so far, like I said in OP, I'm excited about the Goblin 380, but it sounds like the release might be later in the fall, summer is still here for a few weeks, was seriously thinking about a Warp 360 to replace my out dated Trex 450SE with FBL, and I think I will...

What Castle speed controller would work with the stock Compass motor and 6S 1300-1400 Batts?
I'm not comfortable with using a Kontronic and separate BEC as of yet, and I'm just trying to whip up a Warp quickly in the next 2-3 weeks to replace my Trex450...

Any ideas or suggestions a Castle product would be great!

Thanks and keep the good info coming!
Franz in NJ
Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedontsurf View Post
Thanks for the input so far, like I said in OP, I'm excited about the Goblin 380, but it sounds like the release might be later in the fall, summer is still here for a few weeks, was seriously thinking about a Warp 360 to replace my out dated Trex 450SE with FBL, and I think I will...

What Castle speed controller would work with the stock Compass motor and 6S 1300-1400 Batts?
I'm not comfortable with using a Kontronic and separate BEC as of yet, and I'm just trying to whip up a Warp quickly in the next 2-3 weeks to replace my Trex450...

Any ideas or suggestions a Castle product would be great!

Thanks and keep the good info coming!
Franz in NJ
Sorry gang,
Just saw thread a few lines down about ESC choices....Nevermind...
Sounds like Hobbywing Platinum might fit budget better...I'll prolly get a Kontronic when I set up a G380 later this year or over the winter...

Lastly, will Hitec Mini servos from the Trex450 work ok, or should I go with a more accurate servo?

Thanks again!

Franz in NJ
Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The new breed of micro servos, are better in all areas: double faster, lots more torque.
Torque is welcome when spinning 360´s.
But you can always go with the Hitec and then upgrade, just to feel the difference
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
The new breed of micro servos, are better in all areas: double faster, lots more torque.
Torque is welcome when spinning 360´s.
But you can always go with the Hitec and then upgrade, just to feel the difference
++100

Charlie, if you buy and build the warp, you still not be disappointed...I also tried to keep mine on a budget, while trying to even out price to performance...I have to say...I used the tgy 306g servos from hobbyking and I have not regretted it since the first flight. These things are awesome, for what they are, and they can take anything that I can throw at them. I'm not crazy hardcore 3d pilot by any means but I get down when I'm flying and really advise the helis..lol...it's non stop from spool up to landing and I am so satisfied with this helicopter...

I'm also using the hobbywing 50,v3 and am more proud of that thing then the servos ! ! I fly 3 or 4 back to back flights before letting everything cool down and the servos and esc both come down barely warm...it is a breeze to set up although I will recommend getting the multi function program box because it makes life that much easier...

I also use the scorpion 2520/1360kv warp motor so the hobbywing can handle allot my friend...I fly with a v2 ikon and have had many 450s and they just do not compare..I hear allot of good stuff about the x3 but I haven't flown one so I can't compare but add for other 450s lie the b450x, our align 450 (older versions)...the warp is just a much better flier imho...

No matter your choice,I assure you, you will like the warp...and I'm sure even if you build ag380 over the winter, the warp will still get its fair share of flight time...

Good luck man and keep us posted...

Kevin
kev0712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

"What Castle speed controller would work with the stock Compass motor and 6S 1300-1400 Batts?"

The Ice 50 fits well. I do use a separate BEC, as the ICE's internal BEC puts out lower amperage as the number of cells increases. Castle could not tell me how much current the internal BEC puts out with 6S and suggested that I do bench testing to see if it was sufficient.

I opted for the external BEC (WR).

No battery balance issues on either of my Warps, by the way.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the replies, Folks!
Would a 60 Amp ESC from a Trex 500 work alright in a 6S Warp 360?
I've got one in my torn down Trex500 that I could use straight away when my Warp 360 kits arrives...
Also, is there any way to use larger size servos in the swash plate?

Keep the suggestions coming, I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

Thanks!
Franz in NJ
Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a YGE 60 in mine & it`s been fine. Never missed a beat. I use the same in my Protos stretch.
JR XG14
Rotary Lad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedontsurf View Post
Sorry gang,
Just saw thread a few lines down about ESC choices....Nevermind...
Sounds like Hobbywing Platinum might fit budget better...I'll prolly get a Kontronic when I set up a G380 later this year or over the winter...

Lastly, will Hitec Mini servos from the Trex450 work ok, or should I go with a more accurate servo?

Thanks again!

Franz in NJ
I changed the hitecs after 1 crash, they break easily and are expensive. Tgy306hv is working great here
Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

JR 285MG's are very stout.

Very hard to break a gear train in them!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also thinking of getting a Warp 360 or a Gaui X3 and have a few questions. I have been flying for about six months and want to upgrade from my Align 450 plus. I like the Warp over the Gaui for a few reasons first is the belt drive and the fewer parts count and simplisity of the way things go together. Which brings me to my question, with the rigid head on the Warp looks like it will be hard on servos and main blades in a crash, is this true? My second questionis how is it for a semi beginner? I have to slow everything down a little bit with the rigid head seems like it would be a little too responsive. I'm running a Ikon on my 450 plus and just turned the roll rate down and added a little expo to get it were I can handle it would this be the same with the Warp? Thank you for any help you can give me I felt this was a good place for this because the question goes along with the thead alread running.
Larry
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yes you are right about the warp but I think it depends on the servos. I broke 2 futaba s3156 on a small crash , didn't break the gears but ripped them through the plastic cases, I have since changed to the compass servos which are very quiet and metal cased and will have to wait to see how they fair in a crash, as far as the rigid head being too responsive , with the correct settings in my fbl(sk540) its really tame around centre , very stable and easy to fly but full stick is nice and fast, I let a friend of mine try it , he is a beginner just starting to learn backward circuits(only just and needed a lot of pushing) and he found it very stable and easy to control and see.
while the gaui is nice I think it needs a higher headspeed to make it nice to fly, I could be wrong about that its just what I hear, and also its a lot noisier although there is a belt kit for it which is supposed to make it a bit quieter.
just my thoughts
Anthony
Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am about to pull the trigger on an X3 to take advantage of the Labor Day sales. Note that ProStarHobby also has a 10% discount going on but the reason I am going with the X3 is because I have a spare HobbyWing Platinum 60A ESC from one of my Atoms which won't fit in the Warp but will fit on the X3.

If I was only after flight qualities, the Warp, based on many feedback I got from owners of both Warp and X3 will be in the lead. Feedback I got also mentions that it is more visible compared to the X3 and also quieter. If you are concerned about servos being damaged, just get the cheap KST servos (around 30 bucks a piece), or even the cheaper Hobbyking clones so it won't hurt the wallet too much to replace them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in