Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help with pinion install

Just received my brushless setup and the motor shaft looks long. How do I get the pinion on past the end of the shaft so it lines up with main gear and how far do I push it on?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x frame 002.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	300741  
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I take it you have a press-fit pinion.

I'd set it nice and squared in a vice and press it on until it's flush to the end of the shaft then drill a hole in a piece of wood to press it the rest of the way.

It's important that you press it squarely straight on because it's easy to bend the shaft if the motor/shaft and pinion are not squared to each other in the vice. Using a sloppy vice is not recommended.
Micro-Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pinion install

Use a spare bearing placed over pinion and sqeeze n a vise
Incarus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are using a press fit, be VERY careful as those c05M 1mm shafts can be fragile.

I highly recommend a slip-fit pinion from Dylan along with some Loctite 609. No worry about shaft bending, and easily flying 5min after pinion install.

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ent-1mm-shafts

http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ts/loctite-609
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a little trick I learned that works out well if you don't have a press. I don't and that is how I figured this out. You can take a drill bit that is just a bit smaller then the shaft opening in the pinion. Insert it in the hole in the pinion and then roll the pinion back and forth on a rubber surface like a handle of a set of pliers that is flat while holding the drill bit on either side. It will open the hole up enough to be able to slide the pinion on and not make the hole out of round. Take your time and do it little by little because you don't want the hole to get too big. Then just Loctite it like you would any other slip pinion.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig
Here's a little trick I learned that works out well if you don't have a press. I don't and that is how I figured this out. You can take a drill bit that is just a bit smaller then the shaft opening in the pinion. Insert it in the hole in the pinion and then roll the pinion back and forth on a rubber surface like a handle of a set of pliers that is flat while holding the drill bit on either side. It will open the hole up enough to be able to slide the pinion on and not make the hole out of round. Take your time and do it little by little because you don't want the hole to get too big. Then just Loctite it like you would any other slip pinion.
Probably a #60 wire drill. Found a chart of sizes here. 1mm = .0394" #60 is .0400"

3/64" looks a tad large, 1/32 too small. Somewhere I have a cleaning tool for my cutting torch that has a bunch of wire files. I'll try to find it here in a sec and see if it has the right sizes for 1mm and 1.5mm shafts.

Found mine, and it does have the right sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/WYPO-Standard-...2376564&sr=8-9

Might be helpful for cleaning the pinion hole for reinstall also.

Thanks for your tip too Craig.
Error401 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error401 View Post
Probably a #60 wire drill. Found a chart of sizes here. 1mm = .0394" #60 is .0400"

3/64" looks a tad large, 1/32 too small. Somewhere I have a cleaning tool for my cutting torch that has a bunch of wire files. I'll try to find it here in a sec and see if it has the right sizes for 1mm and 1.5mm shafts.

Found mine, and it does have the right sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/WYPO-Standard-...2376564&sr=8-9

Might be helpful for cleaning the pinion hole for reinstall also.

Thanks for your tip too Craig.
You want a ream to cut that little, http://www.mcmaster.com/#reamers/=grkwjl many here, plenty of other places too. They have a #60 as well as a 1mm. For that small a hole these can be spun pretty easily in a pin vise.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Closed Account

Not disagreeing a bit, but $14 for a tool that may be used a couple times is, well, extravagant. Precise, but... OP said he had in hand a press fit pinion and asked how to make it work. If it were me, I'd do the best I could with a cost effective tool to fill in the time till a pinion from Dylan came in. BTW, I booked that page, thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error401 View Post
Not disagreeing a bit, but $14 for a tool that may be used a couple times is, well, extravagant. Precise, but... OP said he had in hand a press fit pinion and asked how to make it work. If it were me, I'd do the best I could with a cost effective tool to fill in the time till a pinion from Dylan came in. BTW, I booked that page, thanks.
Sure, and after you've spent hours tearing out your hair trying to find the source of the the vibes from a pinion you hacked up with a file, you think the $14 is cheap money. Not everyone knows the right tool for the job, which this is. Sometimes that costs money.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Closed Account

Like 7 of these:
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...ent-1mm-shafts

I'd say yes, get a ream, if you're going to mod a boatload of pinions. But if not, do a quick fix while you wait for the right part to come in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in