Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default You HAVE TO try this mod... mSR and CB100 blades

I have many old lipos from mSR. They were unusable on Nano due to higher current draw.

I was curious. I tried to put mSR's and Walkera CB100 blades on Nano.

Result is.. amazing! You have to try this.

- CRASH RESISTANCE INCREASES DRAMATICALLY mainly due to much lower RPM - in around 100 flights I did not break any parts!
- old lipos are flyable again!
- much lower usable revs in normal mode
- longer flights, much lower current draw. Does 8 minutes sound good?
- fies well in idle up as well (I did not try flipps and rolls yet, but in general they are possible with assymetrical blades on 600 class so Nano should be able to do this as well)
- piro rate is faster : )
- You can easily tame Nano to behave as mSR X
- flying with mSR baldes is LOTS OF FUN because control is more precise (VERY GOOD MOD FOR NEWBIES)

Walkera CB100 blades can provide even more fun
- they are very light
- they are longer so you have bigger rotor disc
- revs are even lower at hover in normal mode comparing to mSR's blades
- Caution - Walkera blades are more delicate - fly carefully
- flying with Walkera blades is little more difficult than with mSR blades but still easier than with oryginal Nano blades

Advantages of assymetrical blades are so big (easier on lipos, mechanics, longer flights, increased stability and precission), that I want to try assymetrical Spinblade blades on my 700 and 600 : )

Have fun... Nano is really great platform for experiments. Keep it light weight while doing any mods.

Last edited by utrinque; 12-31-2012 at 06:51 PM..
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just can't seem to figure out why you would want to put fixed pitch blades on a collective pitch heli?

I guess you could fly it around like a FP if you wanted but why? I really don't understand how flips and rolls would work well at all. If it does work I can't imagine how it would be an improvement from stock.

But, I guess if you just like to experiment As long as your having fun
- DX8G2 and DX7S
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Nano cpx is very similar to the MSRX, which benefits from MSR blades cut down. The benefit is flight time. I got my 5 minute msrX flights up to 8m or so with msr blades.

Does the nano get extended flight time in idle down from these blades? The asymetrical blades will be far worse for 3d however than the nano or MSRX blades.
tchilds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just tried it . My gf just flew the nano , first time ever on a cp , no crash . Way easier . Good one lol
outlikealight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrinque View Post
I have many old lipos from mSR. They were unusable on Nano due to higher current draw.

I was curious. I tried to put mSR's and Walkera CB100 blades on Nano.

Result is.. amazing! You have to try this.

- old lipos are flyable again!
- much lower usable revs in normal mode
- longer flighst, much lower current draw
- fies well in idle up as well (I did not try flipps and rolls yet, but in general they are possible with assymetrical blades on 600 class so Nano should be able to do this as well)
- piro rate is faster : )
- You can easily tame Nano to behave as mSR X
- flying with mSR baldes is LOTS OF FUN because control is more precise (VERY GOOD MOD FOR NEWBIES)

Walkera CB100 blades can provide even more fun
- they are wery light
- they are longer so you have bigger rotor disc
- revs are even lower at hover in normal mode comparing to mSR's blades
- Caution - Walkera blades are more delicate - fly carefully
- flying with Walkera blades is little more difficult than with mSR blades but still easier than with oryginal Nano blades

Advantages of assymetrical blades are so big (easier on lipos, mechanics, longer flights, increased stability and precission), that I want to try assymetrical Spinblade blades on my 700 and 600 : )

Have fun... Nano is really great platform for experiments. Keep it light weight while doing any mods.
Did you run it fixed pitch or with a curve? If you did use a curve, what was it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchilds View Post
The Nano cpx is very similar to the MSRX, which benefits from MSR blades cut down. The benefit is flight time. I got my 5 minute msrX flights up to 8m or so with msr blades.
I've heard others having success with the msrx on cut down msr blades, but it never worked for me, I cut them first length wise getting progressively narrower and also took some off the length. I'd always get quite a wobble coming from FFF or banked turns into hover
My pet theory is that the msrx has weighty blades, some of that inertia disk stability is lost with lighter blades

If the nano flys well on msr blades, I could see it being a great FP trainer, the msrx always did have issues when rudder is used during hover or slow manoeuvring

I'd bet that the motor life is better too
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
I just can't seem to figure out why you would want to put fixed pitch blades on a collective pitch heli?
Few reasons:
- I can use many old used lipos and fly all day long...
- It is fun to fly with such low rews
- I do crash 10 times less indoor in confined space because it is much more stable
- Imagine 9 minute flight instead of 4-5 minutes...
- I like to experiment
- oryginal Blade blades : P are not particularly cheap

Try it, you will see why it is fun.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I really don't understand how flips and rolls would work well at all. If it does work I can't imagine how it would be an improvement from stock.
Just trust me...

Watch:
inverted flight practice (2 min 58 sec)
Old 12-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I understand I am just not looking for any of that with my nano though. I bought mine to practice inverted orientations and circuits over the winter and I don't think that is gonna work well with FP blades.

But, like I said as long as YOU are having fun.
- DX8G2 and DX7S
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrinque View Post
Wow very cool I must say Now if you were doing that in your living room I would be super impressed Not to mention that isn't a nano lol.
- DX8G2 and DX7S
Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight View Post
Just tried it . My gf just flew the nano , first time ever on a cp , no crash . Way easier . Good one lol
Exactly, thanx

I would highly recommend Walkera CB 100 blades.

Main advantage is complete lack of tail oscilation.

On Nano we can not decrease tail gyro gain. Walkera bades are longer and Nano behaves better with CB100 blades.

With mSR's blades I noticed some oscilation of tail in hover.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
Did you run it fixed pitch or with a curve?
I use DX4e LOL. I use normal mode (curve from 0 to 100% on throttle I supose and 50 to 100% on cyclics) I have turned off expo. You can find on the Internet how to do this with DX4e.

I was flying 4 mCP Xes in the past. Hundteds in not thousands of flights... I did not feen any need to use computerised radio o rmodify curves.

On bigger helis (450, 600, 700) I use TGY 9X with ER9X od Open 9X firmware. Now I can buy transmiter module DSM2/DSMX in HobbyKing for 30$ to use on 9X or move transmitter from DX4e to 9X.

I just love custom firmwares. ER9X is my fovourite one now.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd bet that the motor life is better too
Definitely, yes!

Last edited by utrinque; 12-21-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I bought mine to practice inverted orientations and circuits over the winter
So do I. Unfortunatelly 700 in much easier to fly than Nano. I have Nano for since Wednesday so I want to practice aerobatics outdoor first to avoid crashes which can become money pit like with mCP X.

Since I fly 600 and 700 I do not crash anymore. With ultra micro and micro helis I still crash occasionally. Nano turned out to be extremely crash resistant.

Weakest point are blades in my opinion. I did not loose motor yet. Usage of assymetrical blades is solution for both weakneses...

I just hope others will enjoy this mode as much as I do already.

Last edited by utrinque; 12-21-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thats cool that you did it with the DX4E

I guess one great benefit of a computer TX is the ability to vary the throttle/pitch relationship

I may try some msr blades, not for me (I have a nano for the same reason as nytflyer), but as a good FP (ish) trainer for my son

I think that I would either run a much shallower pitch curve, as it would only be for his upright flight training (25% pitch travel ?)
and/or maybe reset the pitch with subtrim so that full stick would then be equivalent to the pitch on an msr
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow very cool I must say Now if you were doing that in your living room I would be super impressed Not to mention that isn't a nano lol.
Sure I know. I am just curious. Definitely I will try inverted hover with Nano or at least flips&rolls, but outdoors first. Now when I return from the office it is dark and very cold.

I really consider assymetrical Spinblades for 600 and 700 now. Flight times are much much longer...

I can not hover Nano inverted under my bed like others,,, YET
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats cool that you did it with the DX4E

I guess one great benefit of a computer TX is the ability to vary the throttle/pitch relationship

I may try some msr blades, not for me (I have a nano for the same reason as nytflyer), but as a good FP (ish) trainer for my son

I think that I would either run a much shallower pitch curve, as it would only be for his upright flight training (25% pitch travel ?)
and/or maybe reset the pitch with subtrim so that full stick would then be equivalent to the pitch on an msr
I think in this case more important than curves is good amount of expo. Even around 40%.

On mCP X even with brushless motor I was lacking power during fast aerobatics, so I would not decrease throttle curves anyway.

I had better experience on mCP X without expo because those tinny head was difficult to setup precisely and often I preferes to have more positive than negative angles for fast forward flights in idle up.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any chance we could see video of this? I am thinking about getting a nano after the first of the year when I get an extra cash kick from a week long training where I eat cheap and pocket the remainder of the stipend. I have a non-op mSR with a couple packs of spare blades and four batteries. It sounds like this would tame the heli a bit for indoor flying and also let me use parts I have around.
HeliStorm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStorm View Post
Any chance we could see video of this?
Sorry I am to lazy today... Imagine Nano stable like 600 class. I am able to keep it 10cm from my face in the air and look for vibrations. Outdoors with assymetrical blades on full throttle it can be crazy fast... Inverted hover would be impossible with those blades I have checked up thrust while keeping it inverted in my hand.

I was able to do loops in normal with mCP X so some aerobatics are nor excluded but I would attempt it high.

Even in room 7x8 meters, flying with stock blades can be a challenge (it crashed to often and was little to fast for me). It is possible but was not very comfortable for first 2 days. With mSR or CB100 blades I was flying this all day long and did not break anything. It behaves better than mSR. It is just so much fun... I did some aerobatics outdoor today. Nano did not flip@roll as fast as mCP X but I used bullet blades and DX4e can have not optimal throttle curve. Personally I would decrease throttle for 3D (stock motor).
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries. No hurries. I would just be curious to see with my eyes. This sounds awesome! I really haven't progressed to 3d flight, and prefer more of a scale flight style anyway. This sounds like it could be the ticket. Thanks.
HeliStorm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Check this:

It is best proof of stability, until I make a movie : )

It was my first attempt to land Nano CP X on Nano box with Walkera CB 100 blades:

I use Solo Pro 2 canopy (ugly but cheap).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in