Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned User

Post Of course I still fly my 550. Do you?

I guess I'm getting a bit spoiled by the new protos. I fly the 550 now and it seems a bit slow. I'm thinking of either upgrading to a 12s setup or selling the whole thing spares and all and moving on to an X5.

Either way I want a 12s setup. After going 6s on the 400 the longer flight times I get with HV appeal to me.

Does anyone have a trick for keeping those dampeners from slipping out? I either need to find a fix or replace them.

Happy flying guys.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

X5 head, green KBDD dampers. Works great with my stuff.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned User
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are those super stiff? I dont want too much dampening.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, they're stiff, but you can get either red or black Gaui dampers, too. Only thing is that to go with the different head costs more, but it works great.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, to answer the original question, yes, I still enjoy flying my Hurri 550. However, when I want to fly something with more speed and agility, I fly one of my Hurri 425's. With head speeds of around 3000 my two 425's fly great. Just saving up the money to upgrade one of them to a HeadHunter frame. I have a medium boomed Hurri built on a HH frame running 500mm blades and it is absolutely awesome. No need for an X5 after building that one.

When I really want to fly something challenging, I just pull out the old Gaui 200. It is fun to fly, but for me, it can be a handful sometimes. It flys like a PO'ed yellow jacket.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea maybe tomorrow i fly my 5550
PhillyD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying my long boom 550 a lot over the winter - I converted it to FBL and low head, and have dropped the head-height on my 500-bladed Hurri now as well.

Still loving them
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im still flying my 550 alot and i still love this bird - theres a special feeling flying this 550.

With the knowledge i have now i can only recommend a beginner to get a heli this size. Its easier to assemble when the parts are bigger. Its more stable in air. I started with Honey Bee King II and first of all it really couldn't fly from the start (RTF version) - it had to be upgraded a lot to be anything near flyable. For instance a new tail gearing + belt just to get some tail authority. So after spending quite a amount of doe on upgrading i could have gotten a better bird from the beginning. But the other way around it has given me a lot of knowledge and experience messing and dealing with the problems i have had with the choice i made as the very first CP helicotper.

After flying around and getting some confidence with my 550 i got a 450S. It has bin upgraded a little (CNC head), fiber blades and better servos. Its a fun little bird to mess around with and the cost after a crash is very low.

Only thing ive done with my Hurricane 550 is replacing the stock motor with a Z20 980 kv and getting a new original Gaui CNC Head. The plastic tail box works fine, but when i have used my spare parts (i got a lot on stock) i might change it for some CNC bling bling stuff.

My Hurricane 550 is good as new after the ESC decided to burst into flames. I have checked the battery and its all good. I got some heat-shrink from HK and the battery looks new again.

While i was at it, i did the landing-gear mod on my 550 as i did on my 600E Pro. I took the standard 600 gear on the front and the 700 size at the back. They are just as wide but the 700 is 10 mm higher or so. This way i get alot more tail clearance on my 600 and now i dont need the spacers on the back gear on my 550. It looks cooler imo also.

So in a few days i get my new CC Phoenix 100 A ESC and ill be in the air again with the 550.

regards
Align Trex 450L DFC Head, 3GX

Last edited by Sweetfrost; 04-28-2012 at 03:08 AM..
Sweetfrost is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default 550

Still fly my 550 at every outing...start with the MCPX to warm up, then fly the 550 to relax.
Then its time for the mid boom with 500 blades for a little faster action.
just built another mid boom but using 430 cf blades(left over from the EXI 500 and gaui 425)...this one though has the Z29 -980 and 18/50/20 for gearing and X5 tail grips with the big 550 tail blades...This one is a GOOD hot rod!
PT
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

..... the Z29 ?!? Really ? Awesome !

lol
Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...sorry, Typo...its a z20-980...PT
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with a 425 and was going to sell it, but after some thought and quite a bit of advice, I kept it and stretched it to a 550.

Had a few problems initially and with more advice (especially from mikej ) upgraded OWB and replaced the s**t motor with a gaui 950kv, stripped the heli down and rebuilt it, she now flies superbly!!

Also I have fitted a trex550 canopy and 600 landing gear and love the way it looks

I know its not the most agile but it suits my flying and am so pleased I stretched it

Happy flying folks!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still fly mine as much as possible.

MAAA membership AUS71789
B400 gy401 s9257 tail servo
HS 65 mg servos this thing rocks
Guzziman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

speaking of flying the 550 ...

Yesterday i had a minor crash when my brain suddenly desided to think of something else than flying the darn thing. It resulted in me coming out of a loop and the way down i somehow reacted weird (dont know why) and the heli hit the ground. Second crash this year - but the first wasnt my fault - the esc got the brilliant idea to burst into flames.

Damage report (again):

Blades
Main shaft
Flybar
Front gear
One pushrod from swash to mixingarm

The upper mainshaft bearing need to be changed also.

Had it all in spares except for the blades and bearings. I feel incredible lucky that nothing else happened - especially the electronics came out undamaged. The canopy didn't get any scratches either.
The seesaw on my CNC head is made of plastic - i ordered a CNC seesaw while i was at it. Its annoying to have a taping screw going thru the link into the plastic seesaw -its and accident waiting to happen - once the screw hast bin removed and inserted again the hole is not tight anymore and the screw will become loose over time. Can the screw safely be fixed with glue or something into the seesaw again?

So as soon the blades arrives i have the bird ready for air-spanking again.

Regards
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfrost View Post
The seesaw on my CNC head is made of plastic - i ordered a CNC seesaw while i was at it. Its annoying to have a taping screw going thru the link into the plastic seesaw -its and accident waiting to happen - once the screw hast bin removed and inserted again the hole is not tight anymore and the screw will become loose over time. Can the screw safely be fixed with glue or something into the seesaw again?

So as soon the blades arrives i have the bird ready for air-spanking again.

Regards
You can happily use CA
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your crash. I agree with Mike. A little dab of CA will help hold a screw in a plastic part.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Mikej and Jerrymac.

Okay guys i will try CA'ing the screwhole and see how things goes. But i have the CNC seesaw on its way and eventually i will mount it.

and i thank you both again for replying.

cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in