Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC

Outrage RC Outrage RC - and XP Li-Po Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Electric vs Nitro....

OK...
I love my Outrage 550 pro, but I'm jealous of the guys with nitro's who get twice as much flight time on a tank of fuel as I do with my $140 5000 mah battery. Then to add injury to insult, they just refuel while I have to find another battery or wait for that one to recharge

I still love my 550, but I am seriously considering getting a nitro bird for the fleet.

How many of y'all have both?
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If I had the money I'd have both.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm flying the much less expensive lipo's and paying only half of what you quoted with great results. That has gotten me interested in electrics again!

Goblin 770 Comp, XXtreme 800, XXtreme 700, Kraken 580, TRex 450 Dominator, GooSky S2, Futaba CGY760's and 32MZ
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could get on the high watt charging system bandwagon. I now charge four 6s5000mah packs in 25 minutes at the field. That equates to less than 7 minutes per pack. Or I can do one at 4C in 8-10 minutes while I fly. No need to wait for charging.

But I agree 5-6 mins of flight time is a bit low. No way to fix that until they come out with better lipo technology.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had both nitro and elec at one point but my vel 50 and 90 kinda chased the other brands outa the house,im waiting for a fusion 50 .
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a nice mix of electric and nitro. I love them all.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Id stick with electric or have both.
Stilezzzz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you realize that flying electric with good batteries is no different than buying all your seasons requirement of high nitro all at once you will find that it is cleaner, more powerfull by miles and less maintenence. I am one of the guilty ones who occasionly just take my 450 with multiple packs and my 550 with 2 packs but find myself flying the 450 fbl twice and charging the 550 fbl on the same pack in the heli. A no no so everyone says but if you have appropriate charge stuff the likley event of a mishap is very unlikely. Are you on the computer with a laptop being constantly fed by a charging lipo? I see so many guys charging there 12 series big helis all over the fields I visit and do it this way. They dont bother with multiple packs and buy batteries that can take a high c rate charge and fly all day on the same 12 series(2- 6 series packs in series) Just with an appropriate cool down between flights. Also 6 + minutes of hard banging stick time is easily reached as long as you use the correct set up and appropriate batts. If you fly that hard you need a ten minute break between flights and high charge rate batts will charge in that time easily. The correct charge equipment becomes the expense . And by todays high power electrics, nitro does not come close, but I still love the smell of nitro in the morning HA!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had both but am currently flying a nitro Rave Env. I mainly went nitro because there is no electricity at my local field. I feel like it is pretty expensive though as It costs me about five bucks a flight (about 6 flights/gal @ $25.00/gal). I believe next season I will switch my Rave to electric and run one or two sets of batts with a high current charge setup and a couple deep cycle batts for power supply.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Both here and a 450 on the way.. yeh Im back in the damn hobby full force ;( lol..

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
I have a nice mix of electric and nitro. I love them all.
x2
TREX 450 PRO-MCXP BLADE - JR-11X-love this
hijakdgtr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 2 Velocity 50's and now a Fusion 50 which I hope to maiden this weekend. I got the Fusion for a similar reason. I wasn't as concerned with flight time but I was jealous of all the power the electrics have. It was time for me to keep up with the latest.
heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I got offered a deal I just couldn't pass up. Got a 50 nitro with everything I need to fly it for a really good price. This will be a test period of sorts... to see if I clearly prefer one over the other and for what reasons.

Will let y'all know!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

i did the same got a velo 50 at a steal and didnt know if i would like nitro but so far i love it, its a little different feel than electric but the sound and smoke r awesome
Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

well after getting some more flying time with the velo 50 i have to say i love nitro. i still have alot to learn but its awesome dont know why i waited so long. the flight times r the best 8 minutes at 2150 headspeed
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar78 View Post
well after getting some more flying time with the velo 50 i have to say i love nitro. i still have alot to learn but its awesome dont know why i waited so long. the flight times r the best 8 minutes at 2150 headspeed
Have you tried a gasser? 20min flight times are not uncommon with a gasser and the fuel for doing so costs like 40 cents
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzaun View Post
Have you tried a gasser? 20min flight times are not uncommon with a gasser and the fuel for doing so costs like 40 cents
there sure are some nice once on the market. Only issues are that they lack a bit punch in comparison to a nitro - might be good for many - just not for most folks. Other common issue is that some gasser are a bit high on vibration.
Still good choice for sports flying and if looking for longer flight times.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 4 E birds and HAD a suitcase full of batteries to take out, well all of a sudden the internal resistance starts to go up, performance starts to go down and they start to get a salt water bath when one cell starts to drop voltage at the end of a flight. Now I'm down to 9 batteries and all are up to 20 MOHM and they are starting to feel lacking in punch.
I just bought my first VELO 50 and getting the 55HZ-R. I wanted another bigger helli but the expense of replaceing all my batteries as well as getting new ones for another tipped the scales.
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
If I had the money I'd have both.
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

3 electrics and 2 nitro's, and 1 nitro on the way from santa
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in