Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC

Outrage RC Outrage RC - and XP Li-Po Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2 of 4 New Torq Servos failed.

Recently I went looking for new servos for my X5. I must admit the Torq 9180/9188 servo set looked like a good group. When the servos got here they were so smooth and looked like such good quality units that I decided to put them on my new Rush 750 and the Savox servos I purchased last fall for the Rush into the X5.

I wasn't done setting up my heli on the bench before one of the cyclic's ate it's gear train sitting on the bench with no load other than static on it. I figured anything at any price CAN fail so I gave them a pass and had the LHS owner send the servo back for replacement. I was just happy to have found it before flight. At this point I pulled all three cyclics and put the Savox servos on the head of the Rush. I probably had 12 to 15 flights on this heli when today as I lifted off the tail suddenly juked about 90 degrees. I brought the heli back in and as I was landing completely lost the tail. I was able to get TH and fortunately get the heli down without damage. The tail servo gear train had failed and stripped. I will be putting the Savox tail servo on as well I guess.

One other thing. After inspecting the servos I can find no evidence of the following claims of helical gear use made in the marketing of these servos which honestly was a factor in my purchase decision.

"Featuring Helical Gears in the first two gears of the servo, this Helical Gear setup allows for less slop and greater power transfer down the gear train, which improves centering and overall functionality. Simply put, your servos center better, holding your helicopter exactly where it should be throughout every crucial maneuver."

I actually brought this to the attention of one of the support team at Prestige Heli and he seemed unaware, unconcerned that their marketing was false and frankly more interested in why a retail customer would have the nerve to call their wholesale devision.

I asked the LHS owner to send all four servos back to Prestige as I do not believe a 50% failure rate on servos designed to go on a dangerous machine like a 700 class heli is reasonable.

I generally try not to air dirty laundry in public like this but I'm pissed and more than a little scared of what could have been. If you're running these servos I recommend you keep a close eye on them for your own safety.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So seemingly not only is Outrage out of the heli bussiness they are evidently also out of the servo business. At least they got the name right. Outrageous and OUT of business at least for me
Old 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly at a field that is largely dominated by those servos. I asked around this weekend, and nobody had ever needed to open one up to look at the gears. They just don't have problems.

I do believe however that the first version of these servos did not have helical gears, and were proned to frequent issues. Is it possible you got some really old stock?

FYI: I'm still getting responses from Outrage using their support/ticket system, have you tried them yet?

Chad
MichaelChad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Chad,

They were ordered from Prestige by the LHS so who knows how old they are? I would think fairly new?

The LHS is sending all four servos back to Prestige so I'm only out time and effort. I was nearly out a helicopter. I will see if he wants to have Prestige look into the gears and will forward any feedback I get here. I actually did get ahold of an individual at Prestige and he told me since they are a wholesale only operation they would not talk to me and I should handle the returns through the LHS. That is fine. What bothered me about that conversation is he didn't seem at all concerned about the fact that I didn't get the helical gears.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sadly, he may not have known what "helical" meant, or more importantly what it means to us! LOL

You never do know what kind of experience or level of commitment to service the "person" on the other end has. Seems like the situation has resolved nicely. Glad you got away un-scathed!

Don't take it the wrong way, not making any assumptions about your skill or knowledge, but just to be sure; Did you have the pulse width and frame rate set properly on the tail servo before you plugged it in?

Chad
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChad View Post

Don't take it the wrong way, not making any assumptions about your skill or knowledge, but just to be sure; Did you have the pulse width and frame rate set properly on the tail servo before you plugged it in?
Yeah thanks,

This was my first Vbar so I spent a lot of time using the simulation software before I started the setup. The pulse width issue I've been aware of for quite awhile.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Roger that, never hurts to check. . Well that's all just very strange then, not my experience with Outrage to day the least. In any case, you get 20pts for putting it on the bench and identifying the issues in the pre-consequence phase!

Chad
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember that the 9080 servo's had some failures but This is also the first I have heard of the 9180's failing especially two of them. Most of the guys i fly with use them with no problems. Good call on sending them back to Prestige. keep us posted.
Tone
Team Lynx
tS8103 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in