Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NX4 with Gaui T-10

I'm interested to hear from people who have done 3D with the NX4 and the T-10 gasoline engine. I'm not a smack 3D pilot but certainly do stuff that requires heli's with power. I'm curious to know if it really can work with it.

My logic would be to only fill it with enough petrol to do 4 mins so the disc loading was light. I'm also not afraid of a little modification.

Any information greatly received.

Mike
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

everything that i saw at IRCHA, including talking to some of the top pilots that flew both of them, indicates that in this special case, the gas motor may actually be more powerful than the nitro counterpart.....

they did a great job of designing this motor.

you can get 15min out of a tank of fuel....with the same weight as a 4 min flight of nitro.....

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's really interesting, thanks. Might have to seriously look at this.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to everyone who has been successful with this engine, breakin is the key. Several threads on this and other forums to read about this.
I've not received mine yet, but people say that care through the 1st couple gallons will result in an engine that will last you a long time.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

that is exactly right. just like with any gasser, it takes around 5 full gallons to truly break one in. this motor is esps hard too, i think you have to actually idle 2-3 tanks out of it.

break in is def key. take your time, and you will be rewarded with an amazing motor that runs cheap and powerful.

i have seen post like the one above "people who have been successful", but i still have not seen or heard a bad review.

again, with a gas motor, break in is key. for people coming from nitro with no gas experience, i can see how they may have issues though. break in is long, and boring. very long and very boring. think about it. 15 min a tank. 15 tanks a gallon......5 full gallons before she is truly broken in.....thats a lot of orientation and hover training...lol

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-10 break in

I'm planning on building an NX4 gasser this winter, and looks like there are 100s of ways to break in gassers, and the T-10 requires even more special treatment. What did you guys with T-10s use for oil? Dino during break in then synthetic ever after? Sounds like lots of people are using Lawn Boy and Pennzoil. Anyone use an engine stand to idle the first tank fulls?

I'm thinking of using Bel Ray 2T Mineral, then H1-R. I'm thinking of setting it up on an engine stand and idling a tankful in the morning, letting it cool, then another in the afternoon. My neighbors will wonder what the heck I'm doing, but hey. With that process I figure it wouldn't be too hard to idle gallons if I need to. Thoughts or suggestions on what worked for you? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

At an idle... My Heli took over 2 hours and 20 minutes to 'idle' through a single 9 oz tank of fuel!!!

I had to keep changing rx and cdi packs during the process... About every 45-50 minutes...

I'm mixing 10:1 ratio of supreme pump gas and Dumonde tech premium racing castor oil... It's what I used back when I used to race 2 stroke Dirtbikes and I love the reminiscent smell my helicopter makes!!! Lol

Hover training/break in I get roughly 21-22 minutes of flight at 2500ish Rpms... She's got tons of power and with the gear ratio it doesn't feel like bogging will EVER be a problem!!

I'm not a hard 3d guy myself yet... But I already fly this bird like I fly most of my others.. I think I only made it through 3.25 tanks at an idle before I started hovering/flying it... I've had the motor out and apart a few times trying to diagnose some problems I've had... Which turned out to be a clutch hub nut backing off, and a small piece of a rubber o-ring that cut itself off and wedged itself into the low needle center... I've even stripped the motor down and inspected the piston/crank at the field .. Then put her back together and got another flight on her before the sun went down!

It's a very simplistic motor overall... Not at all what I would have expected ! A little bit of a learning curve to figure out tuning methods on the needles... But adjusting them while doing the 'idle ' break in process helps a lot! I notice I tune the low needle EVERY time I fire it up, then again when it's warm, then tune the high needle the first flight.. Then it seems to hold those settings for the rest of the day... But, I keep a mini flat head screwdriver in my pocket at all times... It's not really that tough when you get the hang of if !

Last edited by Hot Apple Pie Guy; 12-07-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Hot Apple Pie Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like more pictures of nx4/t-10 builds. Specifically ignition module placement in relation to receiver. Futaba receiver and antenna placement. Dual battery placement. My nx4 gasser is getting rather crowded.
Ideas needed[emoji3]
Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
again, with a gas motor, break in is key. for people coming from nitro with no gas experience, i can see how they may have issues though. break in is long, and boring. very long and very boring. think about it. 15 min a tank. 15 tanks a gallon......5 full gallons before she is truly broken in.....thats a lot of orientation and hover training...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Apple Pie Guy View Post
At an idle... My Heli took over 2 hours and 20 minutes to 'idle' through a single 9 oz tank of fuel!!!
I had to keep changing rx and cdi packs during the process... About every 45-50 minutes...
Dang, this sounds extremely painful

I'm new to gassers so I'm wondering what the heck I'm getting myself into this time

I didn't think about RX, TX and CDI batts... I'm gonna try to figure out a way to do a couple gallons with an engine stand and AC/DC regulator, otherwise I know I'll 1) kill some Lipos/Lifes and 2) run out of patience and just go fly the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Apple Pie Guy View Post
I'm mixing 10:1 ratio of supreme pump gas and Dumonde tech premium racing castor oil... It's what I used back when I used to race 2 stroke Dirtbikes and I love the reminiscent smell my helicopter makes!!! Lol
I also love the smell of burnt castor oil, brings back great memories!

Now if they can only bring back that expansion chamber sound instead of weedeater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by distructor View Post
I would like more pictures of nx4/t-10 builds. Specifically ignition module placement in relation to receiver. Futaba receiver and antenna placement. Dual battery placement. My nx4 gasser is getting rather crowded.
Ideas needed[emoji3]
+1 I'm just starting to read about CDI emissions and also worry about how much of a problem it might be on this little guy.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cdi hasn't been much of a problem overall... Just run two sats...

I was also informed that I could run the engine with just a cdi battery... Which has very minimal consumption in comparison to the rx... But , I just couldn't bring myself to allow the Heli to run without my tx in control... FYI , when the rx batt had depleted and browned out(setting the Heli into safe shutoff mode~50 mins).. The cdi pack had only been depleted to roughly 80%...

Doug Darby is the king of info on this little machine ... And I've seen his 'bad gas jr' fly amazingly well! And mine has surpassed ALL of my expectations! I'll try to chime in more as I get the time... It's not as complicated as it seems... And this little gasser motor is completely different of just about everything I've ever read about the gassers of yester-years... It's no longer a sluggish, underpowered , over-weight, long running motor that they used to be... These appear to be compact, simplistic, powerhouses compared to their older counterparts... It truly is a LOT of fun... Just in a different way than we are used to seeing with Electrics and Nitros... It's always a big hit at the funflies!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I have a Taranis install with telemetry all figured out. Will post pictures when I have it all dressed up.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

FYI, the best setup info I've found would be Doug's comments during the 2014 IRCHA Gas Powered Thoughts session.

Gas Powered Thoughts & Modified Gas Heli Engines : Live from IRCHA 2014 (1 hr 25 min 22 sec)

The whole video is about gassers in general, but Doug's Gaui NX4/T-10 comments about breakin at the 15 minute mark and some good comments at the 42.5 -> 49 minute mark caught my attention
Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui T-10 motor Information

PM sent...
mrcarbon is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by distructor View Post
Ideas needed[emoji3]
Shortened the wire to the spark plug by about half too.

Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you read this thread
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=715664

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in