Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nitro Governor Setup Why So Difficult

I am still having several issues with getting the governor setup. I keep trying different things and still get the same result every time. Can someone help me out. I have recorded a video on my iPhone to give a better description of the Live Data and what the servo is doing. I have no idea how to post the video. If someone could help in getting the video up. I can email or text it whatever will work best. Basically it all works correctly when the usb is hooked up. Normal goes to 40% open on the carb, idle 1 60%, idle 2 100%. Then I unplug the usb. Then all settings stop at what appears to be 60% which is idle1. Normal goes to 60% open on the carb, idle 1 goes to 60%, and idle 2 goes to 60%.
I have read and read on the subject and tried several things. Seems like it should be something small to fix the issue I just cannot pin point it.

Last edited by joallen001; 01-08-2013 at 09:20 AM..
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you scaled your sticks and set maximum throttle and idle? For nitro I set max first, then idle.

Similar to what I said it the other thread - do a test - disable the gov (don't just unplug the sensor), set a linear throttle curve, scale the sticks, set max and idle. Then test with usb disconnected.

Post the results so we know if the servo is responding. Don't skip a step or adapt them - so do them in this order.

It should be a straight forward setup with no issues and same as electric gov setup.

Last edited by thefrog; 01-07-2013 at 02:23 AM..
thefrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have gone through the wizard steps it should be fine. The skookum go's to 70% if it dosnt see a sensor working, just make sure your idle and th are correct

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
pugdavey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you've set it up right... Once you've unplugged the USB it only opens the carb a little as the governor isn't engaged.... If you've got throttle hold working just go out and test it. It should be fine. If not, throttle hold is your friend! Report back mate... Luck
dee cee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

=] check the sensor is being seen in the "view" tab > voltage and rpm data, but I agree with these guys, until you fire it up there is no real way of knowing....

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgi UK View Post
=] check the sensor is being seen in the "view" tab > voltage and rpm data, but I agree with these guys, until you fire it up there is no real way of knowing....
I did double check that. Seen where you had mentioned that in another post. Sensor looks to be working. Also I have fired it up. It just doesn't seem right to me. A couple of guys that fly beast x said it didn't seem right either. I will try again tonight to check stick movements. As far as idle up 1 And 2 go. When the USB is unplugged. Should the carb open up to the right position or does the engine have to be running.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
As far as idle up 1 And 2 go. When the USB is unplugged. Should the carb open up to the right position or does the engine have to be running.

Here's thing - with the governor enabled the throttle behaves differently. In normal mode (with USB unplugged obviously) the throttle will move from closed to open smoothly as your Tx curve should be more or less 0,-,30,-,30. In IU1 and 2 the throttle is controlled by the SK unit so you have no direct control. It typically opens to around 60% - 70% when you flip the switch with the motor off. Remember when the motor is running the rpm will increase and if the sensor is working then the SK unit will manage the throttle based on the rpm feedback it is getting from the sensor and what you programmed into the gov.

I'm trying to understand if your hardware is working properly - that's why I've asked that you disable gov and set a linear throttle curve first (as I described in a previous post) - this will tell us if the throttle and Tx are set up and whether the servo is working.

If this is all ok, then we can run through the setup again (which should be right based on what you've described previously). Have you actually fired it up and run the motor up to governed speed?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I did fire it up and try idle up one but not two. Idle one seems right. I did not try and fly in idle up 1 though. It just made me nervous cause normal is bouncing around. Normal bounces up to what idle one is. And it is not smooth at all. I will re check everything again tonight.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
Here's thing - with the governor enabled the throttle behaves differently. In normal mode (with USB unplugged obviously) the throttle will move from closed to open smoothly as your Tx curve should be more or less 0,-,30,-,30. In IU1 and 2 the throttle is controlled by the SK unit so you have no direct control. It typically opens to around 60% - 70% when you flip the switch with the motor off. Remember when the motor is running the rpm will increase and if the sensor is working then the SK unit will manage the throttle based on the rpm feedback it is getting from the sensor and what you programmed into the gov.

I'm trying to understand if your hardware is working properly - that's why I've asked that you disable gov and set a linear throttle curve first (as I described in a previous post) - this will tell us if the throttle and Tx are set up and whether the servo is working.

If this is all ok, then we can run through the setup again (which should be right based on what you've described previously). Have you actually fired it up and run the motor up to governed speed?
Governor disabled. Set my endpoints on throttle back to 100%. Stick scaling done again. Linear throttle curve set and it works just fine when usb is unplugged. When it is plugged in throttle servo does not move at all but the (inputs from receiver is working) Throttle in the wizard goes from -0% to 100%.

Tried to start all over and go through all the wizards again. Except for the initial wizard. (tired of having to unplug all the wires and start over) Now my throttle only works if I unplug the usb. No response from throttle with usb plugged in but pitch is working. Appears I am making things worse I even went through and manually set the stick scaling. Then adjusted the endpoints on my radio so everything was at 100% in the wizard on inputs. I am now getting green 100% on full negative collective, and red 100% on positive collective.

Last edited by joallen001; 01-07-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, you're not making it worse - you're winning here.

1. So the throttle servo works when you have the gov disabled and linear curves -
2. With the USB plugged in the throttle doesn't move - this is correct as the throttle channel is disabled in setup mode (think danger of electric spoolup) -
3. You say the RPM sensor is being picked up (you checked via View > RPM and Voltage) and appears to be working -

let's see if Georgi has anything to say, but I think it's working just fine and the setup appears to be correct.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

=] I would like to see a video of this, upload it to youtube and post the link here....

Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should I go back now and change to governor mode. Then setup normal curve back to 0-40%, idle 1 straight 60, idle 2 straight 200. Any other specifics to check.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

sk540 Nitro Governor (0 min 34 sec)

Video quality is not the great since it was done on the iPhone. The first part of the video shows normal, idle up1, idle2 while usb is connected. The last part shows normal, idle 1, idle 2 when unplugged from usb. Kinda hard to see the normal bouncing up but you can see normal goes to around 60-70% when unplugged, verses the 40% open when plugged in to usb. And idle 1 and 2 goes to the same place as normal when unplugged.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That looks right to me. Unplugged from the USB it's looking for rpm so opens the throttle.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That looks right to me. Unplugged from the USB it's looking for rpm so opens the throttle.
What about when the engine is fired up and in normal though? Should the throttle not max out in normal at 40% as it was doing when the usb is plugged in. Normal and idle up 1 both go to the same stopping point when I am at the field. When I was testing two guys were there but they run beastx. They said something just does not seem right. The throttle should not be jumping up and down like that in normal. It should be smooth. As the throttle stick is pushed up all of a sudden it just jumps open, same as if throttling down. I am going to order the lcd terminal so I can make changes at the field.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

As I understand it the throttle will move according to the programmed Tx curve before it reaches the governed region, then it will ramp up according to the ramp settings and the detected idle up mode. So in normal it should not jump to 40%, it should move smoothly as you move the Tx stick from 0 to 40 (at mid-stick). When it reaches 40% in the Tx then the SK takes over and ramps to the governed speed.

Why not fly it and test instead of worrying about what some BeastX users say? I think you're over complicating things and trouble shooting a problem that isn't there.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

=] I agree with Froggy, it looks fine!.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
As I understand it the throttle will move according to the programmed Tx curve before it reaches the governed region, then it will ramp up according to the ramp settings and the detected idle up mode. So in normal it should not jump to 40%, it should move smoothly as you move the Tx stick from 0 to 40 (at mid-stick). When it reaches 40% in the Tx then the SK takes over and ramps to the governed speed.

Why not fly it and test instead of worrying about what some BeastX users say? I think you're over complicating things and trouble shooting a problem that isn't there.
This is making more sense now. I was thinking if normal is set up 0,30,40,40,40 that the carb would stop at 40%, but instead at 40% the sk540 is hunting for the rpm of 2300. Since my rpm setup is 2300,2500,2700. Maybe I need to adjust something to make it ramp up smoothly. Trust me I want to fly it but I want to be on the safe side. No one here has a sk540 so all I see is the beastx and it does not react like mine does in normal. I was expecting it throttle up in normal just like the beastx. Then again I like to fly some in normal to for testing so maybe I just need to test in idle1 to keep the throttle from chopping. Thanks so much for all the help from everyone. Will test out again when I get a chance.

Last edited by joallen001; 01-09-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

In normal you want the 40% flat line from mid stick so the engine has time to run up. I never had a problem with my ys56 in the velocity, just did the setup wizards and checked the rpm sensor was working. On the teat flight it was tacked and the head speed was spot on

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
pugdavey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in