Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FPV with 300X

Is FPV possible with the 300? Or would I have to get into a 450? I would love to get into FPV and I'm wondering if the 300 would carry my GoPro 3 Black a small CCD Camera, transmitter and another battery supply?
johnnyfive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default FPV with 300X

Is FPV possible with the 300? Or would I have to get into a 450? I would love to get into FPV and I'm wondering if the 300 would carry my GoPro 3 Black a small CCD Camera, transmitter and another battery supply?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It could probably, but you'd get about 20 seconds flight time.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

what's the total weight of all your extra equipment?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't have it. Just wondering if it's possible
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Over 3 years ago I mounted 1080i Sony Bloggie with swivel lens on Blade 400, and made quite a few attempts to dampen the vibrations later. The general conclusions were:
  1. It's near impossible to eliminate the 450 vibrations to make recorded video decent, not worth the effort IMHO.
  2. It has plenty of power to lift ~200g video gear, and when you slow down the HS it doesn't even affect the flight time noticeably.
So pretty much useless for recording, but very much suitable for 100-150g fpv camera / VTX combo. The problem is for real FPV I feel one needs a relatively sophisticated stabilization system, preferably something with GPS lock and/or RTH in case you get into trouble. I can't even imagine putting the goggles on with pure FBL controller on a 450. All this means 300 seems way too small to carry all this gear, and 450 feels like a minimalist platform for fpv.
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

would be surprised if it couldn't. Just don't expect it to fly well or long.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=507877
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been flying my 130X with my gopro with stock motor and batt so I was just curious. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are thinking of spending the money and getting a 450x to do FPV, you might be better off getting a multirotor. Lot less vibration, almost done with balancing the props; you dont have a lot of mechanical going on to chase down a vibration- all you have is props on the motor; long flight times; with a good controller you can spend more time enjoying the view versus having to keep up with the helicopter. I have the DJI F450 with Naza with GPS and if things get to squirrely just let go of the sticks and it will hover, try doing that with a helicopter. Not saying you cannot have a good time doing FPV with a helicopter but there is a reason why a lot of people are using a multirotor. And you can see from this guy's video you can get a little crazy.
FPV - twisted vine (2 min 50 sec)

TBS Discovery with Naza w/GPS; DX9 radio
Sailingeric is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingeric View Post
If you are thinking of spending the money and getting a 450x to do FPV, you might be better off getting a multirotor. Lot less vibration, almost done with balancing the props; you dont have a lot of mechanical going on to chase down a vibration- all you have is props on the motor; long flight times; with a good controller you can spend more time enjoying the view versus having to keep up with the helicopter. I have the DJI F450 with Naza with GPS and if things get to squirrely just let go of the sticks and it will hover, try doing that with a helicopter. Not saying you cannot have a good time doing FPV with a helicopter but there is a reason why a lot of people are using a multirotor. And you can see from this guy's video you can get a little crazy.
FPV - twisted vine - YouTube
... I see you are in Oregon, I miss home! Just moved out to the midwest a year ago from Oregon and I sure miss it.....

While everything you said is all true, Quads can't fly aerobatics with extended inverted (yet) and they cannot auto. While I enjoy flying quads, FPV helis have way more to offer if you want to get crazy with it. Plus, there is nothing quite like doing a nice smooth controlled decent with a heli, not something you can easliy pull off with a quad. I guess it depends what kind of flying you want to do, for low and slow and through the trees Quads all day, for ripping it up and doing aerobatics, helis can't be beat!

I would not hesitate to use the 300X, but I would leave my GoPro at home and just keep it simple and record on the ground, just like this setup on my FPV Rave

FPraVe 3D FPV heli (4 min 36 sec)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
... I see you are in Oregon, I miss home! Just moved out to the midwest a year ago from Oregon and I sure miss it.....

While everything you said is all true, Quads can't fly aerobatics with extended inverted (yet) and they cannot auto. While I enjoy flying quads, FPV helis have way more to offer if you want to get crazy with it. Plus, there is nothing quite like doing a nice smooth controlled decent with a heli, not something you can easliy pull off with a quad. I guess it depends what kind of flying you want to do, for low and slow and through the trees Quads all day, for ripping it up and doing aerobatics, helis can't be beat!

I would not hesitate to use the 300X, but I would leave my GoPro at home and just keep it simple and record on the ground, just like this setup on my FPV Rave

FPraVe 3D FPV heli - YouTube
Very good flying!

TBS Discovery with Naza w/GPS; DX9 radio
Sailingeric is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in