Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cheap monitor system

Continuing my budget build I had to dump the casio TV 980 due to very poor connectivity and it was impossible to see in the sun. We picked up a 8" dvd player with av inputs and couldn't be happier with the picture quality and versatility. It can read memory cards so we can also use it as a digital portfolio for showing prospects sample pics or even picking which view they want. It was $100 at Radio shack but you can get them on ebay for a little less. We hooked it to our "spy cam downlink" receiver, the other end is modified to hook to the Olympus fe-115 camera (chose for the anti-shake and price). First tests showed very promising, every picture we took was of the intended subject. Eventually an Optio A10 is in order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8170046.jpg (3.51 MB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg p8170042.jpg (3.51 MB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg p8170040.jpg (2.24 MB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg dsc01762.jpg (1.47 MB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg dsc01757.jpg (1.35 MB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg dsc01760.jpg (1.35 MB, 129 views)
enigma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

enigma,

Would you please enlighten on your hookup? Which camera did you use for the aerial photos? The "spycam"- you used it as a "spotting" camera that feds a downlink to the monitor? Do you have 2 cameras on board (spy cam and the Olympus)? WHat is detail of your onboard electronics and radios? Thanks - I know it's a lot of questions but I am really interested.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The camera is an Olympus fe-115 set on the anti shake setting. The spy cam is no longer a working camera, just a transmitter (see the DIY Downlink post). I spliced the video out from the Olympus into the tranmitter side of the spy cam so it's a real time view thru the camera lens. The Brifcase contains an old radio section that holds 8 AA batteries for the video receiver which is hooked to the dvd player. The pictured radio controls the shutter servo and eventually tilt/pan.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had read and posted about the DIY downlink after I saw this post- great idea! You are using a separate 4 channel radio for camera control - thanks for the photos to clarify. Really like your setup.

I also have a Phillips DVD/monitor - but I like the idea of being able to play memory sticks better - wish I had waited a little longer to purchase.

My camera is a Kodak Easyshare V550 but only using in MPEG4 movie mode at this time (just turn it on and record the whole flight- will record for about an hour at 640x480 at 30 fps). I keep looking for a camera with continuous burst mode (take a still picture every second or so for the whole flight) - have you seen anything like that anywhere? Mine will only do burst mode for 5 frames without re-pushing shutter release. I think that continuous would be better than using a shutter release. Heli is just a trex with askman mount - can't have a big bird yet....
Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Why are you not using a shutter trigger. Running a 401 and no extra channel? On my rex I run a 240 and use channel 5 to trigger my shutter. This new set-up is a two person deal, my wife watches the monitor, communicates to me and handles the camera. It's much easier to concentrate on just flying and holding steady for the shot this way! Good luck, if you need any help let me know, I also started out with a trex.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just thought that no shutter trigger would give me a wider selection of photos I could choose from - lots of them are bound to be interesting and enlightening- they are digital and easily erased- no expensive film- and you would get shots you would never even think about! Plus my 2 GB memory stick can hold about 400 ea 5 Mpixel pics.

I noticed in your gallery that you use the DX6- on this AP?
I am running a JR g500T gyro - but might need to get a 240 like yours- I tried running with the control disconnected - and still wonder if I could mechanically set it up to control the tail- but not yet.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought the Accurian 8 DVD Player. Works very nice indeed for video and DVD's. When I look jpg's they look pretty bad. What's your secret?
lowandslow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

The jpgs are not the best quality but it works very well as a live feed off the camera and the jpgs do give you an idea of the composition and overall quality of the photo that is to be printed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in