Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those both sound like really good ideas, I'll try that! But one more question, when increasing the electronic gain in you radio how much is too much? Correct me if I'm wrong but the more gain you put in the more your servo has to work, so you could possibly over work it and burn it out?
helinut4ever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it's too much when it wags...
mysticmead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As M says when it wags it's too much. With too much gain it's trying to hold at an infinate setting it can't reach.

The servo shouldn't work any harder when set properly...but it should hold acurately and stop crisp from a piro.

So much affects how the gyro works....gearing, head speed/tail speed...servo arm length....and especially servo speed.

You will not get the same results form a slow servo as a fast one.....try and put the best you can afford on the tail....several are using the hyperion with good results....(including me)

Also....the linkage HAS TO WORK FREELY...any crimps or rough spots will translate into wags or poor performance. I also opted for the "chineese weights" on the blade holders. (there's a thread somewhere on it) but esentially weights on the blades holders help reduce the torque required by the servo to make pitch changes. I was surprised by how much when I ran up the tail (no mains attached) how much less it took

Two retired Gaui 550 hurricanes (Sold)
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

There seem to be two schools of thought re how much gain do you want one as put forward by Mike and Mystic - turn it up till it wags then back off a couple. The other (that I heard put forward by Finless) is just enough so that when you do a punch-out the tail doesn't step out. I find the adjust it till it wags and then back off easy to do.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK guys, thanks to your help and some fine tuning I'm almost there! I've got the tail to where it seems like it's holding alot tighter and stoping alot crisper, but more so in one direction than the other. If I'm flying the heli tail in and I sweep the tail to the right then it stops really crisp, but when I sweep it to the left( same way the blades turn ) it's just not as crisp when it stops. Any ideas on anything I can try?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure if it will ever be as crisp in both directions......

Does anyone else have any input.....can it be the same in both directions?

With one....the heli is trying to turn that way all the time....and the tail just relaxes it's hold. The other way it has to overcome main rotor torque...then relax it and stop the tail where you want it.....no easy task.

All in all...our gyros like the 401 work unbelieavable.....I tryed flying helis back in the 70's with no gyro, slow servos, basic Kraft 4 channel....It was not Pretty

Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may be right with the dynamics of the heli and the way they're designed. But I noticed that I still may not something right because I turned my electronic gain on TX up as high as 90 and I still had no tail wag. Does that sound right?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut4ever View Post
You may be right with the dynamics of the heli and the way they're designed. But I noticed that I still may not something right because I turned my electronic gain on TX up as high as 90 and I still had no tail wag. Does that sound right?

What gyro, HS, tail servo.....?
I have had times when I could not get a wag either.....

Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using a 401/9254 combo and my gearing is 13/50/20/61 so I think my headspeed is around 1800 or 1900, does that sound about right? I'm also using a flat 98% throttle curve in SW1.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looked back through your post and didn't see what motor your running.....but that may be your proplem.....

If your running an 850kv your at about 1400 rpms.....

and an 1100 motor about 1800......

I would try to move up to a 14t pin and see if that doesn't help a little.

what motor are you using?

If you haven't already done so.....download the HS calc from the thread in my signature.....it works great and it's a "fill in the blanks" type.....

maybe your HS/tailspeed is just a little low.....

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the Z20-980Kv and using the Hyperion G3 packs. Two 2500Mah 25c in series I'm getting about 8mins of time flight.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm running the Z20-980Kv and using the Hyperion G3 packs. Two 2500Mah 25c in series I'm getting about 8mins of time flight.
As MJDee mentioned, that could be your problem - you are only turning about 1,600 headspeed and it may be that your tail speed just isn't fast enough to give you a sharp tail.

I run a Z20A 980 and have a 15T pinion - works a treat, though I get 6 minutes flight from 2 x 2150 3S in series as a 6S
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys I think I finally figured it out and now my tail is snappy enough to suit me! It's holding like a rock and snaps like a Dragons tail, man I'm really starting to love this heli! It's huge but I've got it flying like a 450 size. After getting the gyro to hold right the other key was in the end point adjustment for the rudder( piro rate adjustment ), I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Anyway it flies just like I want it to and I'm loving it! I'm even considering trading my T-rex 500 for another Hurricane 550!! Anyway, thanks for all your help!!! One more question, I want to put some color on this thing. So where can I get some colored paddles, tail blades, fins, and landing gear? I guess Helidirect has the best prices on canopies with the Fusano?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

glad ya got it sorted out... yes, add some color.. tail blades and paddles can be found at helidirect or readyheli...look for the K&B DD product line.. for landing gear... most of us use the Trex 600 gear...or Raptor 30/50 gear...both can be painted.. for canopies, either get the Gaui type B fiberglass canopy and paint it yourself or get a Fusano...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm assuming that I would use the paddles and tail blades for a 30?50 size? And has anyone tried using the T-Rex 600 Carbonfiber tail fins, are they a direct fit on the Hurricane tail?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

get the paddles for a 3mm flybar... yes the T600 CF tail fins fit... you will need to adjust one mount hole though..
Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Guys I think I finally figured it out and now my tail is snappy enough to suit me! It's holding like a rock and snaps like a Dragons tail, man I'm really starting to love this heli! It's huge but I've got it flying like a 450 size. After getting the gyro to hold right the other key was in the end point adjustment for the rudder( piro rate adjustment ), I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.

Hey Heli Nut

Can you share your End Point adjustments? I have beenhavin the same problem as you Snappy in one direction but mushy in the other.

If your looking for Stability the Trex600 Flybar fits well and you can use the Trex paddles as well. If your looking for visibility and loads of room for batteries you can also fit the Trex 600 Canopy!!

But the boys round here wouldnt be seen dead flying a Trex600!!
Go figure.

Ben
Borneoben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzer View Post

If your looking for Stability the Trex600 Flybar fits well and you can use the Trex paddles as well. If your looking for visibility and loads of room for batteries you can also fit the Trex 600 Canopy!!

But the boys round here wouldnt be seen dead flying a Trex600!!
Go figure.

Ben
Hey Ben, I would have no problem flying one if you are gonna buy it for me.
Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ben

I'm like you and I don't think you'll ever get rid of that totally, but I have found that setting End Point Adjustments on L-115 and R125 makes the tail quick enough that you don't really notice it. At least for me it's good enough because it's a whole lot better than it was!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzer View Post
Would that be the 600 Canopy for the Electric or Nitro? I understand they are a bit different in shape...

Been trying to figure this out but whenever anyone makes a claim of modding a can for the Hurri they never mention which of the two types they used...

All I have for my recently acquired Hurri is the cheap plastic (type A?) one (not painted except for the black "window").

Having gone slightly overboard on the batt's mAh (4400 mAh) I'm having trouble comfortably fitting the canopy onto the bird (It can be done but it is not a pretty sight).
Besides, even without the batteries in there, the front servohorns and pushrods grind against the canopy walls. Seems like I need a canopy that is not only taller in the front, but wider overall too...

I hear that the GAUI type B canopy is bigger, but from the pictures on the web, I really don't see it? Can someone confirm that it is bigger? Besides I think the B-type is fiberglass (= expensive). Having never flown a CP helicopted before in my life, I'm hoping to keep the cost down by bying a plastic canopy, as I am bound to put this bird in close combat with the ground sooner rather than later.

So I have been looking for an alternate canopy that I can use, but the only mod I have been able to find is the Can for T600 (E or N?).
Anybody used or heard someone use anything else ? Outrage 550 can perhaps ?
Should be about the same size, shouldn't it.

I realize ofcourse that nothing except GAUI's will be a "straight fit". There will always be some cutting and modding involved...

Regards
/Stefan

PS. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but after being a regular lurker on this forum for a couple of months now, that seems to be the way things go around here DS.
guldur2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in