Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam

Beam Beam Helicopters Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Who's Got A....

Scale AvantGarde yet?...So have any of you HeliFreaks done a scale conversion of this bird yet? If so can you post some pics and details of where/what you used to complete the conversion please?

Im wanting a scale heli in my fleet and would prefer it to be a larger, rather than smaller, heli but i only have so much room so its looking like i may eventually turn my 600 into a scale.

Any help most appreciated.

Regards & Cheers
scanner62 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably the thing to do is measure the distance from the main rotor shaft to the tail rotor, the height from the bottom the frame to the swash area. Distance from the plane of the main rotor to the boom etc. and then compare those dimensions against something we know has fuselages made for it. So for example there are fuselages for the Raptor 50, some that fit the Trex 600, the ones by Century I guess fit the Hawk mechanics etc.

Some time ago I got a Vario Flash fuselage with the plan of fitting Robbe Futura mechanics in it but I quickly realised that where the boom needed to be was much lower than where the boom is on the Futura, so I eventually sold the Flash on.

The Beam should be good as scale mechanics because it's light and narrow and fairly compact in general so I'd think it's mainly down to where the boom is relative to the main rotor, the length of the tail because if you had to go shorter or longer the tricky part would be finding a belt, stuff like that.

My guess would be a Jet Ranger or AS350 squirrel will be in the ballpark as far as the relative position of things, but that's just a guess.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for that background on required measurements Trillian, hadn't occurred to me about that. Funny you mention the AS350 And Jetranger as they are the two of my most preferred fuse's. Be a while away yet before going this path but good to know my preferences make the list of possibilities.
Just wait and see if someone else goes this path.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner62 View Post
Thanks for that background on required measurements Trillian, hadn't occurred to me about that. Funny you mention the AS350 And Jetranger as they are the two of my most preferred fuse's. Be a while away yet before going this path but good to know my preferences make the list of possibilities.
Just wait and see if someone else goes this path.

Cheers
The only thing is that it's so good as an aerobatic / 3D pod and boom that it's almost a shame having that potential restrained by a fuselage. :-)

You could do a BO105 with a four blade head and learn all the moves the Red Bull helicopter does! (that's what I was going to with my Trex 500 but it soon became the 'beater' and has served very well in that role).
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
You could do a BO105 with a four blade head and learn all the moves the Red Bull helicopter does!
Yeah i see your thinking, but i just dont like the look of the Red Bull heli..... it looks like a flying pig to me loll. As noted i prefer the look of the Ecureuil, AS350, JetRanger or LongRanger.(just me)

I will be initially flying in its designed format while i get orientations and specifics down pat, but as i only have room for one large heli, im either reduced to selling the Beam and buy a gasser or modding the Beam.

Id really like a gasser for a more realistic model, but as i already have all electric, i feel putting a fuse on the 600 would be my cheapest, quickest and easiest (for me) way to achieve a scale heli.

I will still have my 2 or 3 450's in p&b format for throwing something around the air as a basher, but as my intent is more circuit/aerobatic only without 3D i can live with the change of setup on the 600.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I get a moment I can take a few measurements and compare them with the same measurements on my Raptor 50 V2 and then you'd have at least some idea if it might fit a fuselage for the Raptor.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

As Trillian says, it's a shame to waste the 3D capabilities, but the low weight and clean head design would suit scale.

I never thought that I'd want a scale machine, but true scale flying is a test in itself.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3D v's Scale

Hey trillian, if you could do that for me that would be great as there does appear to be many designs suited/built for the TT range (more so for nitro/gas sure but also elec.)

Yeah i understand the performance design of the Beam 600 but hey, theres a lot of 3D trex's out there in scale too, among others. With the low parts/weight combined with the torquey motor ive got, its a perfect combo for a scale project.

3D just isn't for me, I can't even keep up with watching the heli's in the air doing it by another pilot let alone run the sticks that way for it myself. No, it won't be "true" scale with FBL and i will end up with a 3 blade head also if i go the scale path. In the end all i wanted was a clean design, solid construction, reliable flyer that looks like a "real" helicopter.

If i had $$$ to spare id probably go for a JR 7-800 size heli, but i don't. My flying progress will be a slow path concentrating on rigid performance and stage by stage progression, im really not one for flailing all over the sky, so the stringent requirements of scale more so fit the bill of what i want to do in the hobby. Thats not to take anything away from the requirements and standards of 3D, just not where i wanna be, is all.

Regards & Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in