Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocivicsi View Post
can anyone tell me the basics of parallel and series.

im new at this and i would love to save money not buying new batteries if i can mix them together. for example i bough a new trex 500 esp and i have 6 3s 11.1v 2200 mah and the trex requires 6s 22.2v and at least 2200mha. so what can i do with this batteries?? thanks.
In series, aS + bS = (a+b)S

You can wire two identical 3S batteries in series to make one 6S battery. They should each have the same capacity (2200mAh each), and the total capacity of the new 6S battery is the same (it doesn't get bigger). Ideally, they should have the same internal characteristics and age, like C-rating and how many times they've been charged. If not, the weaker cells will drag down the performance.

Wiring in series is easy: the negative of one battery is wired directly to the positive of the other. The remaining two poles are your new discharge to the machine. (This is why you usually stack AA cells in one column, or they sit side-by-side in opposite directions.)

In parallel, aS * aS = aS2P

You can wire two identical 3S batteries in parallel to make a larger 3S battery. Your new battery would have the same flight power as the individual 3S batteries, but it would be heavier and would have, in this example, 4400mAh total discharge capacity. Again, a weaker cell can ruin the whole performance and stress the stronger cells.

Wiring in parallel is easy: both negative poles on your batteries are merged into a single negative pole for the machine, and also both positive poles on your batteries are merged into a single positive pole for the machine.
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks SPOK. you have no idea how much i needed your answer. thanks a lot man.

you da man.
carlocivicsi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

another quick question. if i series the 2 3s 11.1v 2200 mah together i get the point that would make it a 6s. my question is:::: IT MAKES IT A 22.2V RIGHT???? i know it might be a dumb question but im new at this parallel and series thing.

thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
thanks SPOK. you have no idea how much i needed your answer. thanks a lot man.
No problem. Halley also made a good point about the importance of starting with well matched packs.

Quote:
another quick question. if i series the 2 3s 11.1v 2200 mah together i get the point that would make it a 6s. my question is:::: IT MAKES IT A 22.2V RIGHT???? i know it might be a dumb question but im new at this parallel and series thing.

thanks.
Not a dumb question. Yes, the voltage is additive when you add cells in series. What you have in front of you are two packs that each have 3 cells already mounted in series. Each cell is 3.7V. That gives you a 3S 11.1V pack. When you add two of those packs together in series you'll have 6 cells in series. That'll give you a 6S 22.2V pack.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

halley and spok thanks alot.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

dont know if this has been posted but for any one wanting to know more and i mean WAY more you can check out these MIT couses on it
here are the frist lectures from 2 of them
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3omwHv3Cmog[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQxyVuLeCs[/ame]
if you can stick with it youll know just about all you ever wanted to know lol
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HI! I decided to delete my post. Have a great day.

Last edited by cvdiver; 07-08-2010 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: has been previously posted
cvdiver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdiver View Post
HI! I decided to delete my post. Have a great day.
I thought it was a perfectly good post that helped to clarify an issue that sometimes confuses folks. The stuff you're studying in dynamics now is exactly what lets us build a wind powered vehicle that goes directly downwind, faster than the wind (but I'd still give even odds that your dynamics professor would claim it's impossible).
Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I thought it was a perfectly good post that helped to clarify an issue that sometimes confuses folks. The stuff you're studying in dynamics now is exactly what lets us build a wind powered vehicle that goes directly downwind, faster than the wind (but I'd still give even odds that your dynamics professor would claim it's impossible).
I was worried I was being a bit preachy. Oh well. On your example, there would seem to be lots of things to consider there. Assuming the area of the sail collected enough wind to overcome (substantially) the frictional force opposing the forward motion and the force on the forward portion of the vehicle itself from it having to move through the air (Drag, i think). I wonder what he would actually say?
Geez, the more I think about the problem the more variable that I come up with, crap! This is going to keep me up all night.........
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
dont know if this has been posted but for any one wanting to know more and i mean WAY more you can check out these MIT couses on it
here are the frist lectures from 2 of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3omwHv3Cmog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQxyVuLeCs
if you can stick with it youll know just about all you ever wanted to know lol
I love this guy's lectures. He helped me through Physics. I just wish that I could actually have been in one of his classes. He's really awesome.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdiver View Post
Assuming the area of the sail collected enough wind to overcome (substantially) the frictional force opposing the forward motion and the force on the forward portion of the vehicle itself from it having to move through the air (Drag, i think). I wonder what he would actually say?
Geez, the more I think about the problem the more variable that I come up with, crap! This is going to keep me up all night.........
I don't want to takeover this thread, but you can see all about it in its own thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=24303&page=25
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by celter View Post
The Volt would be the height difference between the water level in the tank and the end of the hose. A bigger tank would not increase the pressure (Volt)
Actually the higher you fill the tank with water the more pressure at the bottom of the tank. Think of it like the deep end of a pool. The farther down you swim the higher the pressure and therefore the more your ears start to ache. This is because of the weight of the water above you. It works the same in the tank. If you have 20 feet of water in the tank above the opening you will have more pressure at the bottom then if you only had 10 feet.
triplelindy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great article. I also had electrical course work in HS, then 2 AAS degrees in computer sciences and a BS in computer science and some master degree course work as well. I am by no means an expert but that pdf is a very good easy to read document. Well done.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheel510 View Post
The problem with using water "pressure" and water "flow" to explain potential (voltage) and current (amps) is that many people who don't understand electricity don't understand water either.

Saeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in