Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Need help with strange issue: needles swapped for OS 55 to run OK

Ok I'd love engine gurus to chime in on this one.

I've been troubleshooting the origin of a nasty leaning problem I have where the HS on my 600N just goes crazy above 40% throttle. in normal mode (0 40 80) I get 2450 RPM at hover..... With gov on same issue.

This is after 5 tanks break in after engine rebuild.
I have checked all lines, filter, pressure nipple, tank, clunk, clunk line, carb tight, head bolts, back plate, needles settings, gov, magnet, gov bypassed, muffler tight

Strangest thing is I swapped the needles thinking maybe I had them wrong on rebuild, problem seems to be solved, engine idles good, spools up, holds gov HS, sweet. Only problem: the needles are not in their correct location (the mid is on the high and Vice versa)

Any Idea?
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle lever on carb barrel loose?

Bonjour,

I'm definetly not an engine guru - hopefully they will stick in to help.

As you wrote, you rebuilt your engine. I can only think of 3 possible reasons:

1.) your carb barrel got loose (screw on the throttle-lever) - your throttle lever on the carb shows you the same position as usual - meanwhile the barrel itself turned to higher opening? Disengage the throttle link and turn the carb barrel by hand to check. Thanks to the marks on the carb this should be easy to check.

2.) Did you disassemble the carb completely? The mixture-control-screw on the OS-55 (I guess it's the same as on the OS-50?) turns a small barrel inside the carb. Did you dissasemble this part and put it together correctly?

3.) Some leakage - check engine screws, carb fixing, glow plug/thread - leads to a lean running as well

I have an Align-55, but as a pretty new engine I did not have to rebuild it, so it's difficult to say, what can be incorrectly done by rebuilding it. Correct me if wrong, but a HS of 2450 rpm means for a T-Rex600 Nitro an engine rpm of about 20'ooo (= throttle completely open) ?

J'espère bien que quelqu'un puisse t'aider mon ami,
Meilleurs Salutations,

Oliver

P.S: J'ai pas noté jusqu'à présent, mais quesque c'est la différence entre l'aguile mediane et l'aguile qui control le maximum? Je ne les ai pas étudié en détail, mais ils me semblent de la maeme taille?

Last edited by Raptor30_V1; 03-10-2010 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: HS 2450 x 8.5 = 19'600 rpm
Raptor30_V1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just a couple thoughts.

First, what governor are you running? Did you happen to setup the governor to kick in in normal mode? Have you verified the headspeed setting on the governor? Have you watched the throttle arm to see what it is doing when the headspeed goes crazy?

Second, did you happen to move the throttle arm(if you removed during rebuild)?
DustinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor30_V1 View Post
Bonjour,

I'm definetly not an engine guru - hopefully they will stick in to help.

As you wrote, you rebuilt your engine. I can only think of 3 possible reasons:

1.) your carb barrel got loose (screw on the throttle-lever) - your throttle lever on the carb shows you the same position as usual - meanwhile the barrel itself turned to higher opening? Disengage the throttle link and turn the carb barrel by hand to check. Thanks to the marks on the carb this should be easy to check.

2.) Did you disassemble the carb completely? The mixture-control-screw on the OS-55 (I guess it's the same as on the OS-50?) turns a small barrel inside the carb. Did you dissasemble this part and put it together correctly?

3.) Some leakage - check engine screws, carb fixing, glow plug/thread - leads to a lean running as well

I have an Align-55, but as a pretty new engine I did not have to rebuild it, so it's difficult to say, what can be incorrectly done by rebuilding it. Correct me if wrong, but a HS of 2450 rpm means for a T-Rex600 Nitro an engine rpm of about 20'ooo (= throttle completely open) ?

J'espère bien que quelqu'un puisse t'aider mon ami,
Meilleurs Salutations,

Oliver

P.S: J'ai pas noté jusqu'à présent, mais quesque c'est la différence entre l'aguile mediane et l'aguile qui control le maximum? Je ne les ai pas étudié en détail, mais ils me semblent de la maeme taille?
Hi! the high end needle has 2 o Rings and a thinner taper. It also has a groove cut where the splines are. The mid is thicker, one O ring, no groove.
1) checked
2) never touched
3) all checked...

Yes, the HS picks up like crazy, it goes from like 1700 RPM below mid stick to 2450 in one second or less, really scary

Nice French BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinB View Post
Just a couple thoughts.

First, what governor are you running? Did you happen to setup the governor to kick in in normal mode? Have you verified the headspeed setting on the governor? Have you watched the throttle arm to see what it is doing when the headspeed goes crazy?

Second, did you happen to move the throttle arm(if you removed during rebuild)?
I'm running a Multigov Pro, pretty confident with the settings as it was running great before. No gov in normal mode.
The throttle arm just behaves normal, it opens in a linear fashion, and all of a sudden the HS gets sick, though I'm positive the servo and arm don't go full. Throttle arm / end points also checked.

This is driving me crazy guys
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try again and watch the throttle arm when it transitions. I can't see any other reason for such a huge jump in rpm all of the sudden at the same point. I'm almost certain it has to be something with the gov.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

there was a guy who has a Multi gov pro on a YS56 and having a similar issue with over revving.

not sure why though. Call/email aerospire. They are usually great with service
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on give them a call. Just for giggles though, completely disconnect the multigov and run on your normal curve first.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have already bypassed the gov completely (trottle servo directly in receiver), does the same.... It's not the gov.
Also swapping the needles fixed the problem, which leads me to a mixture issue
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default carb issue - agree

Bonjour,

I agree, this seems to be a carburetor issue. Correct my if wrong, but anyway most other parts can't be rebuilt the wrong way? (Piston and rod excluded)

Just an idea I had yesterday, maybe the OS-50 Hyper carburetor might fit the OS-55 (most of us have an OS-50 Hyper?) - I know it's not perfect, but if so, you could check whether this strange behaviour really comes from the carburetor? If, by hazard, you have a 2nd OS-55, try its carb then?

Some further thing influencing a lot is the muffler. If muffler e.g. has broken parts inside or e.g. is full of dirt, fuel etc. the outcome can be pretty strange engine behaviour too, looking like someone sits on the throttle lever and playing around with it

I hope, this inconvenience will be solved pretty fast - on the other side I'm curious as well, because such things add a lot to all of our learning curves.

Meilleurs Salutations,
Oliver

P.S: Sometimes it helpes to have more detailed information on hand, as what engine/muffler combo, how where your needles (3) settings before the rebuilt, what was the reason for the rebuilt, what did you dissasemble and which parts where exchanged, needle settings after the needle-swap .. etc..
Raptor30_V1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in