Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default alternative for delrin rod linkage ?

Does anybody know an alternative for the round part you click on swash plate
I mean , just the ball link

Mine broke after crash, I tried I Mikado one but thoser ar 4 mm longer, so too long !

the tread is 3mm

Greetings Gert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	139.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	677813  
Oxy 5
soulman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

Those are 2.5mm ball links. The correct part number is 02-0709S but that seems to be discontinued.

You could try out the 02-0709ST instead. You might have to shave some of the edge off it to prevent rubbing the swash on full pitch. These links might also have to be cut to get zero pitch with the swash level tool.

If you can cut your Mikado links you don't need to buy new links
Can you please share the part number of the mikado links?

cheers,

Last edited by stark; 10-30-2016 at 05:44 PM..
stark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anybody happen to know what that Mikado part might be?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've started to service my Atom after its winter sleep and wanted to replace the FBL link delrin rod and ball link. The new delrin rod (08-0139S) came with the ball link but it was almost impossible to push it onto the swash ball. Even the JR link sizing too was tough to push into the ball link.
However with a lot of force I could get the JR tool in and size the link. Get it off and then push it into the swash ball. However, when pushing it into the swash ball the ball link cracked. This happened to be with both the FBL links.

Fortunately I had some spare 02-0709S links, which look identical to the ones that came with the FBL links.

Again same thing. Hard to push JR tool. Eventually I do manage to get it in and resize it. Then when pushing it to the swash ball it cracks again .

The 02-0709S ball links are not only difficult to resize but also not a good fit for the Atom cause they are too fat and rub on the swash.

I'll be ordering and trying out the 2.5mm ball links from Mikado.
http://shop.mikadousa.com/01565-Ball...eces_p_34.html

If there are any other better alternatives please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried looking for Atom parts at the Compass shop? You can also PM Lighty... he mentioned he had spares for Atom including Atom 550.

I myself am still undecided if I should get parts for my crashed Atom 500 or just save the parts that survived to use as spares for my Atom 550. Too bad because the Atom 500 is my favorite beater heli... I get 6 minutes plus flight times with 3300 mah lipos which is great for practicing moves.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cyclo,

Compass shop has 02-0709ST in stock. I'm not sure if that is good for the Atom.

I suppose it is the same one provided with the exo kit.

Below picture from Scott's thread
Old 03-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can confirm that the Mikado 2.5mm ball links (01565) are a much better option for the Atom 500 than the Compass offering.

I had to cut the Mikado links short and shorten the delrin rod by a few mm at the FBL grip end though. Also the Mikado links have holes for 2mm rods so I had to drill 2.5mm holes into them.

(Tip: It is much easier & cleaner to cut the delrin rod with a strong and sharp utility knife)

As the Mikado links are slimmer at the ball, the swash rubbing problem is much lesser than the Compass links. I didn't have to resize the link either.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stark,

The eXo linkage is rigid, which is fine on the eXo as the spindle-less head cannot flap.

The spindle on the Atom flaps, so there has to be some give/flexibility in the linkage (that is why the flexible drive tubes on the Atom).

Even if the eXo linkages could be adapted to fit the Atom, it would not end well.

Good thought though sir.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I myself am still undecided if I should get parts for my crashed Atom 500 or just save the parts that survived to use as spares for my Atom 550. Too bad because the Atom 500 is my favorite beater heli... I get 6 minutes plus flight times with 3300 mah lipos which is great for practicing moves.
Well, I have a slightly used Atom 500 that I am looking to get rid of. I ruined my Delrin tubes trying to cut them with a dremel-type saw. They sorta fit, but I never finished my head setup completely (read, I don't really know what I am doing). I put it in a nervous 3-foot hover for a few seconds and then landed from two feet off the ground onto concrete and broke a landing strut.

I replaced the landing gear and put it on the shelf as nothing is wrong with it except the Delrin tubes. I didn't want to fly and crash it as replacement parts are hard to come by. I have 450 sized helis that I fly (and occasionally crash).

Anyone interested? Frame or the whole thing for cheap. I figure I'll get around to another 500 sized heli one day.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayevergreen View Post
I ruined my Delrin tubes trying to cut them with a dremel-type saw.
Power tools are overkill when dealing with these tubes. I shortened mine with a kitchen knife (cut about 3~4mm). The finish was not stellar but was good enough, and the tube's integrity was preserved.

Just stick the tube in a vise (vice?) and saw it manually. I got two tubes done in under 10 minutes, and I was not in a hurry.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Razor saw or even a regular Xacto will work too. They were easier to cut than I expected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in