Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
I agree, for you Shawn that would be so, you are an expert pilot used to flying very high power setups. I suggest that there are many more of us beginner/intermediate/sport flyers with bent thumbs, poor perception, lousy coordination or just less experience for whom the many benefits of an A123 solution far outweigh (pun intended) the affect of a few extra grams on a heli this size. Besides, you can choose between weight and flight time by choosing how many cells to run.

As you can see from the figures above, one could have three 6s A123 2300 packs giving comparable performance to a single 5s 3300 or three 5s A123 2300 packs for comparable performance to 3 6s 2500 lipos. Flight times would be about 1/3rd less but you still come out ahead in terms of flights/hour (3 packs each of which can be charged in under 20 minutes compared to 1 pack that at best charges in 40 minutes). Add in no fires, 10A charging and 500+ cycles and that's pretty compelling for some of us, but it certainly is not for everyone.

I agree that for anyone wanting maximum performance LiPo is still the best option.
Ok well I do see your point and you are correct. My apoligies, I guess I am one tracked minded towards ballz out power and performance. Honestly as well I can admidt I have not ever ran or tried a A123 setup, I am just going by the weight is all. Be well. By the way I certainly do not consider myself an expert by any means, lol. :wink:
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually, I don't think the weigh would be that bad. The 6S 2500 set up will weigh about 425g on EVO25.
My old 4S A123 pack weighs 330g. At 6S A123, it will be 495g. 70g difference on a 1800g heli is about 4%. I don't think you'll even notice that it's there. To match voltage for voltage, 7S might be needed. That will give it a 577g, that's around 150g more. 8% difference in weight.
rcboosted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #223 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I video'd Andy flying it today!!! Will have the vid up tomorrow AM

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Bob for keeping us updated.

Ken
Nyther is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #225 (permalink)
RH>

hello, do you guys think itīs gonna come in 4 or 6 cells ?? or both??
i hope i 4 cells.. beacuse if i doesenīt, i have to buy new charger and balancer.

but what do you think??
RH> is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 05:08 AM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

4S with a single pack or 6S with two 3S 2100-2500 packs connected in series. Keep your charger.

6S 2500 packs will obviously do the trick as well, but it would suck to wreck a cell in a crash on such a pack.
rotary65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 AM   #227 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH> View Post
hello, do you guys think itīs gonna come in 4 or 6 cells ?? or both??
i hope i 4 cells.. beacuse if i doesenīt, i have to buy new charger and balancer.
but what do you think??
It is not clear what you mean ? All the 500-class helis we have seen so far can be flown successfully on 4s setups, typically 4s 3700 is a good choice. I am sure the T500 will have wide enough gearing range to support flying on 4s through 6s with the appropriate choice of motor and pinion. My guess is that the stock kit will come with a pinion suitable for 6s since the expectation is that many folk will use two existing T450 3s packs in series.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #228 (permalink)
RH>

my mistake.. but i donīt know so mutch about the eletric heli yet, only had nitro heliīs.. just started on the 450 for a cupple of months ago..
but can the ESC both run on 4 cells, and 6 cells?? or??

(sorry, my english is not so good)
Rasmus
Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH> View Post
my mistake.. but i donīt know so mutch about the eletric heli yet, only had nitro heliīs.. just started on the 450 for a cupple of months ago..
but can the ESC both run on 4 cells, and 6 cells?? or??

(sorry, my english is not so good)
Rasmus
Hi Rasmus, Most if not all ESC's only have a maximum number of cells so if it can handle 6 cells, it will be perfectly happy with 4.
bugdozer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #230 (permalink)
RH>

ahh okay. thats sounds good. my charger only handle up to 5 cells. so thatīs just perfect.. canīt wait to get one, itīs just like something missing between my 600 and 450 .. but we proberly have to wait severals months here in denmark.. we first god 600N in late august

Thanks anyway for the answers, it a cool forum you got here, i often got info from here
Rasmus
Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #231 (permalink)

Guys,

I'm flying a Lepton and have tried 4s-6s setups. The 4s-5s setups have been using 3700mAH Evo 20s and the 6s is using 2 3s packs in Series. Most pop and overall enjoyable 3d flying is with 6s. 4s and 5s is OK for FF but in 3d, you have to be gentle with the sticks or it bogs. I'm not sure how the upcoming Align motor will give in terms of Torque but my 4s and 5s setups were always lacking. It wasn't until I started 6s that I was actually happy to fly the Lepton. I'm looking forward to the upcoming 500 but will probably fly this in 6s also.
docjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering of what's the safest way to wrap or tie 2 3s packs and put it on the battery tray of the heli. Any good tip or advice on this? Some pics will be really cool.
Thanks a lot for any tip i can get.

Best regards,
Rich
heliboy88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #233 (permalink)

I have 2 velcro straps just on the 2 batteries themselves and then have 2 velcro straps to strap the combined batteries together. When I was running 4s batteries in parallel on my Lepton, I had some velcro on both batteries and then just strapped that to the heli. Either way should be fine.
docjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for the heads up, really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Rich
heliboy88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in