Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofl1001 View Post

Guess what I just did? OMG
I went in the underground parking where I practice my hovering, and I think I managed to adjust my tail servo so I don't have it spinning anymore. Then I keeped in a nice hover, landed, throttle to minimum(closed), then I thought: let me switch to mode 1 on my gyro, I switch it then a loud noise like something shredding plastic....
I hit the idle up...yes, I'm the biggest noob, how could I do this ???
I think that on idle up by having the throttle to minimum I had -7 degrees negative pitch pushing the heli into the ground? I guess.
Now I have to change the gear
Any guiding regarding this? Do I have to remove the main blades and open the chassis in half?
Please post any useful links regarding this since I couldn't find any clear info that I could digest...
Thanks again
I promise you that you are not alone. We should ask Tom, and you could ask me. Tom was far less fortunate than you and I were. I have done it more than once, and like you just ended up with a shredded main gear, which actually is no big deal. I'll leave it to Tom to describe his misfortune, as I doubt I could do it justice. By the way, after you have been in the hobby for a while you will find that shredding a main gear is something that happens all the time, it just happens in different ways when you start out.

In the early days, if I had little tip overs, then the main gear was stripped. This was fixed by upgrading the gear, but soon after I found new and better ways to crash, such that an upgraded gear was of no benefit anyway. Once I got better, so did my crashes, and at this point I could go back to the stock eSky gear, as it didn't matter what I had on, I just stripped them anyway. In other words, you stop hitting idle up by mistake, and you stop tipping over as you take off or land, so the only way to spoil the gear is to pile it in, and when you do that it always goes, so the cheaper eSky gears became an option again.

In all my days, I have never, ever, stripped a tail drive gear. The slightly smaller one under the main gear, so if you are going to stock up on spares, do not put one of those on your list. On the odd chance that you do break one of those, then I guess you'll have to wait, but the odds are not worth carrying one in advance. I never bother with them for any of my helis, and if I did break one, well, that's the chance you take when you work out what spares are required to be in stock. The maingear, is one such item that you should have in stock. I usually have two or more in stock, or to put it another way, when I get down to two I will re-order. There are upgrade options, and in the begining they are well worth considering.

Once you have checked the link, and followed the advice, you will be able to swap one out in double quick time, especially after you have done it 100 or so times, lol.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
In all my days, I have never, ever, stripped a tail drive gear. The slightly smaller one under the main gear, so if you are going to stock up on spares, do not put one of those on your list. On the odd chance that you do break one of those, then I guess you'll have to wait, but the odds are not worth carrying one in advance.
I broke three of them in fairly quick succession. One probably indirectly a casualty of a stripped main gear. The two after, I have no idea why they went. All three suffered a single tooth breaking off completely. The daft part is, the leftover "root" of a broken tooth looks just like the tooth is still present until you really get a light shining in at just the right angle. The clue is the ticking noise and weird tail behaviour. I have two "in stock" but haven't broken any more since (sod and his law, as I have two spares!).
Buzzfly BE (aka Walkera 4#3B)
wulfrun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Go figure! There's always one, lol. Bet you never break another one again and didn't have them in stock when you did, lol.
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gee, me break a main gear? Thanks, Sut!

Honestly, I've stripped main gears on just about every heli in my fleet.

Look at it this way, it's a perfect opportunity to inspect your bearings.

To change it, it's a pretty simple and straight forward process.
Pop off all your links to the swashplate from the servo's.
Pull out the jesus bolt from the gear.
Remove the locating pin from the swash or the guide, and lift the whole shaft and all off.

Just be sure you don't twist the link eyes and everything should assemble the same. Get into the practice of double checking your set-up, though. Good insurance.

The 450 EFlite main gear is more durable, maybe less wobble, too.
If you go that route just make sure you get the one with the bearing installed.

I absolutely hate the stock main gear.

Make damn sure you set the back lash when changing out the main gear or you'll be in for a world of hurt.
Loosten up the motor to the frame, put a piece of paper inbetween the main and the pinion gear, push the motor up against the main and tighten back up.

Afterward, rotate it by hand and see if you can detect a high spot where it gets rough. This signals you that the main gear is not concentric.
If you find it is not concentric, the repeat then process with the main gear at that high point, so it has enough clearance.

When you rotate the paper out of the main gear, examine it for tears in the paper. If there is then you are too tight.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
Go figure! There's always one, lol. Bet you never break another one again and didn't have them in stock when you did, lol.
Of course I didn't have spares when I broke them - like I said, Sod and his law

Keeping two spares almost guarantees no more break...
Buzzfly BE (aka Walkera 4#3B)
wulfrun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 to the blade 400 gear, with bearing. Always ran smoother, and a little stronger than the stock gear
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in