Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Maintenace For Protos 500

Hello

Im new to the Protos 500 I had purchased one from a HF member a few months back and as I get closer to a total strip down and re fresh of heli hardware I wanted to know.... what lubricants are out there to oil bearings and how do you go about cleaning, and general maintenance of the heli during the season. I have a Hyperion motor and I was told by the last owner to oil every 10 to 14 flight to keep the bearings happy. But what is the best product out there to use .. Whats your maintenance schedule like for your Protos 500?

Last but not least... the previous owner had the heli grounded with few wires I plan to either replace or do without. I have a carbon fiber version.. is this a wise idea to take off some of the wires and keep the tail boom grounded to the airframe/ motor mount as well as the esc? The owner said I could also use pure silicon on the belt to help keep the static charge issue to a minimum...

Solex227
solex227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any light oil will work on the bearings. I use 3-in-1. Use grease on the thrust bearings and shafts. I use lithium grease on all my helis, including the dampers, shafts, servo gears, and thrust bearings.

I strongly recommend you keep the grounding wires. The previous owner put them there for a reason, and the Protos is know for creating lots of static issues because of the plastic tail case.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Dr M
A little thread surfing here and I found a thread on the whole issue by the previous owner (awesome) and found my answer thank you .

Solex227

Last edited by solex227; 11-24-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned User

I would lube the motor bearings every 5 flights or so. The 3 pulley bearings and the tail shaft bearings including the slider bearing and the tail shaft itself every 10 flights. Dont forget the big swashplate bearing too, I give that one a drop every 10 flights.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Kavic5150 I plan to pull the heli down this weekend and do all the lube and re loctite all metal to metal screws and freshing up some of the nyloc nuts that seem a bit worn. They should be replaced being they really work in this application a dozen times before the start to wear out and a few on the heli look due.

Solex227
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by solex227 View Post
Thanks Kavic5150 I plan to pull the heli down this weekend and do all the lube and re loctite all metal to metal screws and freshing up some of the nyloc nuts that seem a bit worn. They should be replaced being they really work in this application a dozen times before the start to wear out and a few on the heli look due.

Solex227
You dont need to replace loctite unless you remove the screws, it does not wear out (at least not in the lifespan of any heli).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned User

You probably already know this, but nyloc nuts and loctite do not mix.

Good old Finless.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One more thing that came up in the main forum: never lube the one way bearing. It will cause it to slip. And be careful if you oil the radial bearings that bracket the OWB in the pinion, lest oil leaks into the OWB...
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
One more thing that came up in the main forum: never lube the one way bearing. It will cause it to slip. And be careful if you oil the radial bearings that bracket the OWB in the pinion, lest oil leaks into the OWB...
You shouldn't really need to oil those bearings, they dont spin very much (only when the one-way is not locked) so the lube they come with should last ages.

IMO best bet is not to lube em at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
You probably already know this, but nyloc nuts and loctite do not mix.

Good old Finless.
Thanks! Yeah know this already ..Use would defeat the propose of using a nyloc nut in the first place.
Yes Finless Bob videos are priceless!! love watching them even on helis I dont have!! Just good Information!

Quote:
Thanks Dr M I read that thread I wont oil the one way for sure! As for the radial bearing bracket I would very lightly oil before I installed it to the motor shaft and no where near the one way. Getting oil on the one way doesn't sound like a god idea from what I read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
You dont need to replace loctite unless you remove the screws, it does not wear out (at least not in the lifespan of any heli).
Thank you also desertstalker, Your right ! But for my piece of mind being new to this heli Im treating this heli as if it was factory built and I will pull it down and re loctite any metal to metal surface and replace grub screw and nyloc nuts as needed. ( On the side of caution you should check because you never know what you may find.. owner might had back off screws to get to something and didn't mention it... Better safe then sorry later)

Thanks again
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're right, solex. I do the same thing to pre-owned birds and I've been, on occasion, appalled at the quality of construction others were flying. I've found dry dampers, thrust bearings installed backwards, missing washers, notchy motor bearings, etc. Other used birds I've bought were assembled to the same quality standard I would put into the build, but there's no way to know unless you verify.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by solex227 View Post
Thank you also desertstalker, Your right ! But for my piece of mind being new to this heli Im treating this heli as if it was factory built and I will pull it down and re loctite any metal to metal surface and replace grub screw and nyloc nuts as needed. ( On the side of caution you should check because you never know what you may find.. owner might had back off screws to get to something and didn't mention it... Better safe then sorry later)

Thanks again
Ah, didn't realise it was second hand, in that case I would rip it completely apart and re-assemble, just to be sure . Thought you were just asking about routine maintenance on a heli you built.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You're right, solex. I do the same thing to pre-owned birds and I've been, on occasion, appalled at the quality of construction others were flying. I've found dry dampers, thrust bearings installed backwards, missing washers, notchy motor bearings, etc. Other used birds I've bought were assembled to the same quality standard I would put into the build, but there's no way to know unless you verify.
Boy you nailed this one DOC! Guess what ??? well while working on the heli I decided I would take down the servo block and mess around and install the 3 cyclic servos for fun.. but with further inspection I found 3 badly NOTCHY bearing with the mid one being the worst. The shaft told the story of how the bearing race couldn't keep up and was slipping on the main shaft causing friction, power loss and wear. I guess Im in the market for 3 bearings and a main shaft now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Ah, didn't realise it was second hand, in that case I would rip it completely apart and re-assemble, just to be sure . Thought you were just asking about routine maintenance on a heli you built.
No Prob ....Yeah! I got this one second hand off of a HF member and looking for some guidance from you senior Protos owners. but im starting to find little sore spots as I start to take it apart ..... I hope I dont find any more from here out..
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought mine used and have had to strip everything down. I have had to replace alot of parts. I think it would have been quicker and eaisier to start new. Everytime I find something I have to wait for parts. I guess from what I now now I should have stipped it down totally made a list and ordered parts and reassembled. Originally thought I would not have to but everything I have taken apart pretty well needed attention.

Hopefully the last mechanical area. The tail. Should I replace the shaft ? I thought I should. It has some scouring on it. I ordered a new one. It was assembled without two of the washers and the new one comes with te washers I need. I will replace the bearings as well.

Then start programing !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07000.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	370644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	370645  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken View Post
I bought mine used and have had to strip everything down. I have had to replace alot of parts. I think it would have been quicker and eaisier to start new. Everytime I find something I have to wait for parts. I guess from what I now now I should have stipped it down totally made a list and ordered parts and reassembled. Originally thought I would not have to but everything I have taken apart pretty well needed attention.

Hopefully the last mechanical area. The tail. Should I replace the shaft ? I thought I should. It has some scouring on it. I ordered a new one. It was assembled without two of the washers and the new one comes with te washers I need. I will replace the bearings as well.

Then start programing !!

You are missing one washer.

http://www.msheli.com/Manual/MSH51330_Tech_Data.pdf
pani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unless you know it has been changed recently, I'd consider it cheap insurance to change the belt too. I had one fail in it's 170th flight.
sctholson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I have already put on a new belt, main gear, pinion, pinion brace, etc etc. I will replace the tail as well. Already installed new tail shaft. The only thing I haven't changed is the bearings in the rollers. Now I am wondering about them ?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Those are the fastest spinning and smallest bearings on the Protos. You should definitely check them.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just turned them by hand a first and they spin OK. After fixing or replacing everything on this heli I think I should take them apart. Can you replace the bearings inside and keep the rollers ?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken View Post
I just turned them by hand a first and they spin OK. After fixing or replacing everything on this heli I think I should take them apart. Can you replace the bearings inside and keep the rollers ?
yes you can, but it's not easy to get that center pin out. However, if you spun them by hand and didn't feel any notchiness, they should be good to go for another 100 flights before you need to check again. Don't forget to oil these on both sides from time to time.
Goblin Speed | iKon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in