Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Think My Co-Pilot II Module Just Died

I was getting ready to change some settings in my CPII in preparation for installing a Hard Deck Module (auto trim to 0). Got a good test when I did the FUIM3 test. Turned on my transmitter and connect up the battery to the heli and all initialized okay at first. Went to open the CPII display software and got a red light on my TotalG (no receiver signal). Nothing I have tried will get the CPII to connect to the software (FUIM3 connected to IR port), it just remains blank. If I take the CPII out of the loop from the receiver to the FBL unit, the FBL unit will initialize again. Any ideas on what may be wrong?
pctomlin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
I was getting ready to change some settings in my CPII in preparation for installing a Hard Deck Module (auto trim to 0). Got a good test when I did the FUIM3 test. Turned on my transmitter and connect up the battery to the heli and all initialized okay at first. Went to open the CPII display software and got a red light on my TotalG (no receiver signal). Nothing I have tried will get the CPII to connect to the software (FUIM3 connected to IR port), it just remains blank. If I take the CPII out of the loop from the receiver to the FBL unit, the FBL unit will initialize again. Any ideas on what may be wrong?
Hi Paul ,
Sorry to hear about you problem. It may be a com port issue.
1. Without software running and the FUIM3 not connected to CPII, plug the FUIM3/usb into computer. The computer should make a sound that it recognizes the FUIM3. And the red led should be continually lit.
2. If the computer recognizes the FUIM3 then connect it to CPII and apply power to CPII
3. Now launch the Display software.
4. The display software should not show the version number.
5. If this does not work then you may want to again update CPII to V2.41. Follow the instructions in the update program making sure the altimeter is NOT connected to the ACC port.

Let me know if neither of the two solutions work and we will go from there.
Best of luck,
Jack
PowerLab 8
jdd1 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Jack,
Good to hear from you. I have tried #1 thru #4 with no luck (FUIM3 is working right), The CPII just stopped communicating with the FBL unit (red light lit up on TG) after it was all initialized and good (no light on the TG). I will try to reload the software and see what happens.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Jack,
Just got done reloading the software and everything came back to life. Thanks for the suggestions. Now on to getting set up for the HD module.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey Jack,
Just got done reloading the software and everything came back to life. Thanks for the suggestions. Now on to getting set up for the HD module.
Hi:

I'm glad to hear that a firmware issue may have resolved your problem. Jack's a smart one! But I just want to caution you that this could be an intermittent issue with the hardware as well. So I'd advise extreme caution moving forward. If you see any more issues like you described, stop, pull the unit out, and send it to FMA for evaluation along with a very careful note. Contact Howard Matos howard@fmadirect.com for further instruction and make sure he's aware of this thread.
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply Tim. I will watch things very close with the unit. Need to test fly the changes and move on to the HD set up.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey Jack,
Hi Paul,
Great news and good luck on the setup.
Jack
PowerLab 8
jdd1 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got a chance to take out my Outrage 550 with CPII again this afternoon, went 100% better than try #1. First time cost me a set of main and tail blades because of some set up issues (mainly auto trim on with a FBL unit). Did a lot more reading of the forum after the first try to figure out what did not go right. Biggest issue was the auto trim on with a FBL unit and also the on/off transmitter switch did not take during initial set up, the CPII was on all the time.
Checked the system with the IR router at power up and said all systems were a go. It showed I had -35 pitch and -32 roll when I looked? Took off and heli flew normally like I was use to, flipped on CPII expecting a pretty good jump because of the initial pitch/roll numbers and just had a drift to the left so turned back off and landed. Set roll to -3 and re-tested, much better. Final number of -5 on the roll and there was no difference between CPII being on or off in a hover, both held identical.
Kind of strange putting the heli in a very rolled and nose down attitude and letting go of the cyclic stick and watching the heli come back to level. I had the CPII gain at 60/40, I think I will reset to 70/50 and see if the recovery action speeds up a little.
Now on to setting up for HD operation. Just need to plug in the module and go through the set up.
Any ideas on the weird pitch/roll numbers? Unit was in a totally open area on power up with no obstructions for 100s of feet.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got a chance to take out my Outrage 550 with CPII again this afternoon, went 100% better than try #1. First time cost me a set of main and tail blades because of some set up issues (mainly auto trim on with a FBL unit). Did a lot more reading of the forum after the first try to figure out what did not go right. Biggest issue was the auto trim on with a FBL unit and also the on/off transmitter switch did not take during initial set up, the CPII was on all the time.
Checked the system with the IR router at power up and said all systems were a go. It showed I had -35 pitch and -32 roll when I looked? Took off and heli flew normally like I was use to, flipped on CPII expecting a pretty good jump because of the initial pitch/roll numbers and just had a drift to the left so turned back off and landed. Set roll to -3 and re-tested, much better. Final number of -5 on the roll and there was no difference between CPII being on or off in a hover, both held identical.
Kind of strange putting the heli in a very rolled and nose down attitude and letting go of the cyclic stick and watching the heli come back to level. I had the CPII gain at 60/40, I think I will reset to 70/50 and see if the recovery action speeds up a little.
Now on to setting up for HD operation. Just need to plug in the module and go through the set up.
Any ideas on the weird pitch/roll numbers? Unit was in a totally open area on power up with no obstructions for 100s of feet.
Hi:

Don't get too worried about anomolouse readings on the IRNet programmer when the unit is on the ground. Sensors might just be picking up heat from your body or something local. What matters is how it does when it's several feet off the deck. You're going about it the right way. Get the machine flying level, and up a mistake or two high. Then switch the remote ON and adjust from there.
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply Mark. My comfort level with CPII is way up now. I was very gun shy with it after my first try, but found the two mistakes I made in set up - auto trim on with a FBL unit and the on/off transmitter did not take during set up, CPII would always be on. This turned out to be a deadly combination for the main and tail blades. Too bad it is going to rain all day today or I would be trying out the HD module after getting it programmed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in