Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion

KDS Helicopters General Discussion KDS Helicopters General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Could use some advice on KDS!

I am thinking about getting back into the hobby. I flew for 3 years about 4 years ago and had everything from a Mini Titan 450 to a Trex 500 to a Logo 600. I have flown probably 20 different helis in my time. I just recently bought a V911 fixed pitch for fun around the house and got the bug once again.

I have missed a lot in 4 years and see there are a ton of new helis, electronics, and other crap. When I left the hobby, KDS was just still new and hadn't proven itself as a good brand. I am guessing they have gotten a lot better now. They used to be a knockoff brand. I don't want anything big as big is expensive and had enough of that back then. I want something cheap, yet good to fly. I saw the KDS 360 and thought it looked cool. I am guessing its a 450 sized heli by the looks of it. The kit online seems decent since it comes with a scorpion motor, servos and such. I will probably buy a used FBL system, maybe a beastx? I need some advice though. I honestly don't want to spend over $650 bucks for a heli fully done. Would I be able to do the 360 at less than that? I want some options for cheapest way possible, but yet with decent equipment. What do you guys suggest? Also, any other small helis like a 500 size you would recommend that aren't badly priced? I am open for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The KDS setup is a great setup if you get the full kit. I have not seen one in person yet or flown one so I can not say yay or nay but it seems like everyone that has gotten one is happy with it. It looks to be an awesome heli and will most certainly meet your needs.

Another option is the X3, I built mine initially for around $500 with batteries and blades. After upgrading a few parts its closer to the 600 mark, but, at $200 for the bare kit it is not hard to keep it as a budget heli.

For either heli there are tons of great electronics out now. The Stock stuff that comes with the Chase 360 seems to be good quality stuff and wont really need much for upgrades.

The Hobbywing Platinum V3 is awesome and is the one that comes with the chase kit, the Scorpion 2520-1880 motor is a beast on any 450 and very impressive. The servos I believe are similar to the KST 215's/TGY 306G's which I am running on my X3 and are awesome.

The Chase kit seems like a great package deal and I don't think you can go wrong! If I was in your shoes I would probably go for it!

I don't know anything about the ebar so I won't comment on that, there are many great FBL options out now and price ranges from $30 to $500+. I am a huge fan of the Spirit FBL due to it having an excellent rescue, tons of other features, flying amazing without much setup, and costing $250.

I'm sure others will chime in but welcome back!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
The KDS setup is a great setup if you get the full kit. I have not seen one in person yet or flown one so I can not say yay or nay but it seems like everyone that has gotten one is happy with it. It looks to be an awesome heli and will most certainly meet your needs.

Another option is the X3, I built mine initially for around $500 with batteries and blades. After upgrading a few parts its closer to the 600 mark, but, at $200 for the bare kit it is not hard to keep it as a budget heli.

For either heli there are tons of great electronics out now. The Stock stuff that comes with the Chase 360 seems to be good quality stuff and wont really need much for upgrades.

The Hobbywing Platinum V3 is awesome and is the one that comes with the chase kit, the Scorpion 2520-1880 motor is a beast on any 450 and very impressive. The servos I believe are similar to the KST 215's/TGY 306G's which I am running on my X3 and are awesome.

The Chase kit seems like a great package deal and I don't think you can go wrong! If I was in your shoes I would probably go for it!

I don't know anything about the ebar so I won't comment on that, there are many great FBL options out now and price ranges from $30 to $500+. I am a huge fan of the Spirit FBL due to it having an excellent rescue, tons of other features, flying amazing without much setup, and costing $250.

I'm sure others will chime in but welcome back!
I appreciate the response. Never heard of the Ebar either and haven't seen anyone post anything on it. I know the old classics are still good such as the Vbar, Futaba FBL, Beast, etc. I'll probably go cheaper and go with the Beastx. Glad to hear the helis electronics are pretty good.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades345 View Post
I appreciate the response. Never heard of the Ebar either and haven't seen anyone post anything on it. I know the old classics are still good such as the Vbar, Futaba FBL, Beast, etc. I'll probably go cheaper and go with the Beastx. Glad to hear the helis electronics are pretty good.
I would buy the kit with esc and motor. Then pick up some KST servos and purchase your FBL of choice. You should be able to get the kit close to $600 going that route.

Citizen 266
HeliSoCal is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Ebar is great. And only 150.00 if you were to buy one separate. KDS is a great company. We have a warehouse here in the states which is nice. Support is great as well. However I am not sure the Chase is what you want. There have been several issues with it and they are working to correct it but it might be worth waiting a bit yet on it. If you want a 450 sized heli the X3 is a good choice. The new Goblin looks good to but there you have to deal with a brand new heli. The Align is good too.

I have a hard time recommending anything but KDS though. I love the 5.5 and 7.2 and the Ebar is the easiest to set up IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in