Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy Belt CP not working...help!

Just a quick reiteration: This heli is new, received no more than 2 or so weeks ago, and I am new to the hobby helis (though I have logged many hours on simulators). When I first got it I was too anxious and turned off the TX before unplugging the battery, resulting in an unfortunate crash that lead to a new Align main shaft and Align Pro blades (325mm). After putting it back together, the motor would spool up with no problems, but I never took it up. Then there were times that the heli just beeped and beeped, and I would unplug, and replug...etc. It would eventually start to work again. I figured the battery was just low and that was when I realized my battery would not charge. Ordered new 2200 mAh Zippy (USA warehouse).

Fast forward one week later, and my new battery has arrived, charged perfectly in my charger and was ready to go. Problem is, the motor won't go. Servos work perfectly, but the motor won't turn. The battery is 100% charged. The heli just goes beep...beep...beep...beep...da-da-da-da-da...beep...beep...beep..beep...da-da-da-da-da...etc. Light is on at the top of the gyro. It was beeping like that with the old battery like I said, and I kept plugging and replugging and it finally worked. Now it won't work no matter what I do. The throttle and trim are at it's lowest position when I plug up the heli. I checked connections and to the best of my limited knowledge, things look fine. Where should I start with the troubleshooting? Is my ESC bad already? Bad gyro? I know if the gyro doesn't initialize, the motor won't work. Should I unplug gyro?

Ok,. I read the sticky 'Beep Beep Guide.' Does it sound like my brake is on? I'lll have to check it out when I get home from work tomorrow.
Dynam ESC, Trex flybar, Trex paddles, Trex/EXI canopies, Align 325 Pros, SG90 cyclic, Esky tail servo, Flightmax and Rhino LiPos, Tech 450 metal V/H fins, 13T Rhino pinion, CNC tail, Trex 450 tail rotors, EK2-0704B HH gyro, DX6i and AR6200.

Last edited by kanexx2; 03-14-2009 at 11:33 PM..
kanexx2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

brake only affects how quickly the motor stops when you cut the power. do the swash servo's move correctly when you move the collective stick up and down.?
Ian 777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is your idle-up switch off? That's the top-left switch, it needs to be pushed away from you.
3 crashes (so far)
kronin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sometimes they wont intialise if the rudder trim isn't exactly centered. Try that too.
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Is your idle-up switch off? That's the top-left switch, it needs to be pushed away from you.
Ok...this was the problem. Probably need to read the owner's manual. I actually got it to lift off the ground about 8 inches or so. It was spinning wildly, but I flipped the switch on the gyro and it stopped spinning. The heli got a little sideways and one of the blades struck something...so that was the extent of my experience today.

The motor was just spinning (after the crash) and I noticed it wasn't meeting up with the main gear. Then the motor just came on out all together...holding on with the wires. Where the motor was sitting, there is one screw, but that's it. The main gear is stripped, so I will be ordering more parts. Do I need a motor mount or something. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If the main blades hit something, you probably bent your feathering shaft as well (and maybe the main drive shaft). Grab the 2 blade grips and rotate them. Do they stay perfectly in-line or do they turn like they're on a bent rod? If not in-line, then you need a new feathering shaft.

"Where the motor was sitting, there is one screw, but that's it" Do you mean only one screw that used to be holding the motor to the mount? Or do you mean one screw holding the motor mount into the frame?

Yes, read the manual. Then read all the stickies at the top of this forum. Then ask questions. It's imperative that you set your helicopter up right, else it won't fly worth a darn. Main shaft must be straight. One-way bearing must be installed correctly. Gear mesh between main gear and motor must be correct. With motor disconnected, idle-up switched on, and throttle at 50%, the servo horns for the 3 servos connected to the swashplate should be perpendicular to the body of the servos. Then, following the servo rods up to the swash, the swashplate should be level. The washout arms should be level. You should have 0 degrees pitch on the main blades. At full throttle in idle-up, you should have +9 degrees pitch on the main blades. At zero throttle in idle-up, you should have -9 degrees pitch on the main blades.

Ensure your tail drive shaft is straight. Does it wobble, even a tiny bit, when the helicopter is spun up? If so, replace it. Make sure the tail blades are spinning in the correct direction. When looking at the left side of the helicopter, they should spin counter-clockwise. The blade towards the front of the helicopter should be moving up. Make sure the belt going to the tail is tight enough, but not too tight. Hold the head still and try to spin the tail. Do they hold together or can you feel the belt jumping teeth on the drive gears?

Lightly lubricate the main drive shaft where the swashplate and washout assembly glide over it. Do the same on the tail drive shaft where the pitch slider moves.

When going to fly, have a routine. Before you leave to fly, do a once-over on your helicopter checking for any loose screws. Once you're ready, turn on the transmitter, ensure idle-up is off, throttle is at zero, antenna is extended. Put the battery in your helicopter, ensuring center of gravity is correct, and connect. Leave helicopter untouched until after gyro initializes. Test your cyclic and rudder servos and make sure they're all functioning correctly. Put the canopy on. Fly! Take canopy off. Disconnect battery. Turn transmitter off. Do this every single time so you minimize the possibility of mistakes. If you have a transmitter with throttle-hold, use it.

I think that's enough for now
3 crashes (so far)
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanexx2 View Post
Just a quick reiteration: This heli is new, received no more than 2 or so weeks ago, and I am new to the hobby helis (though I have logged many hours on simulators). When I first got it I was too anxious and turned off the TX before unplugging the battery, resulting in an unfortunate crash that lead to a new Align main shaft and Align Pro blades (325mm). After putting it back together, the motor would spool up with no problems, but I never took it up. Then there were times that the heli just beeped and beeped, and I would unplug, and replug...etc. It would eventually start to work again. I figured the battery was just low and that was when I realized my battery would not charge. Ordered new 2200 mAh Zippy (USA warehouse).

Fast forward one week later, and my new battery has arrived, charged perfectly in my charger and was ready to go. Problem is, the motor won't go. Servos work perfectly, but the motor won't turn. The battery is 100% charged. The heli just goes beep...beep...beep...beep...da-da-da-da-da...beep...beep...beep..beep...da-da-da-da-da...etc. Light is on at the top of the gyro. It was beeping like that with the old battery like I said, and I kept plugging and replugging and it finally worked. Now it won't work no matter what I do. The throttle and trim are at it's lowest position when I plug up the heli. I checked connections and to the best of my limited knowledge, things look fine. Where should I start with the troubleshooting? Is my ESC bad already? Bad gyro? I know if the gyro doesn't initialize, the motor won't work. Should I unplug gyro?

Ok,. I read the sticky 'Beep Beep Guide.' Does it sound like my brake is on? I'lll have to check it out when I get home from work tomorrow.

Wow that sounds like quite a week or two, sorry where's my manners
Hello and welcome, when first reading this i thought that it was throttle position but it would appear this is the RTF version with TX is this correct and if so i've never had one like it but do you still need to set the throttle range so the esc can correctly reconise top and bottom throttle positions?
This is done (in the case of spektrum anyway) turn on TX throttle to the top turn heli on wait for the beeps and put the throttle in the low position
Another beep ready to go!
Any help?
lex7919 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, upon closer inspection, both screws that hold the motor to the motor mount are there (one was pushed through), and the mount is still bolted to the frame. I think that's odd that the motor just came out like that. I'll have to look closer to see if the threads are stripped. If the motor's threads are stripped, I could just use the other two holes I'm assuming. (4 holes on the bottom.) Probably should replace the motor mount (or at least replace the screws.)

As far as the feathering shafts, I was going to replace those anyway...following the encounter that I had the first day I got my heli...just to be on the safe side. I have extra main shafts, so I'll just pop in another one, but I will need more blades. Main gear it toast.

So the tally following this crash : I'll need feathering shafts, blades, main gear and a new motor mount kit (or just screws, but the kit is really inexpensive.) What type of lubrication is recommended for the main shaft at the swashplate and washout? Any light oil? Where is the best (and quickest) place to gets these parts online?

Thank you again for all of the advice. I didn't set this heli up correctly preflight oviously, and it was angling off to the right. I'll be more patient once my new parts arrive, do more research and do it right.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

llk
lex7919 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So far, I've bought most of my parts from helidirect.com. I also get parts from ushobbysupply.com and discountrctoys.com.
3 crashes (so far)
Old 03-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=125438
BigCraig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ouch!!! It looks like you're learning to fly the same way I am -- by crashing multiple times!!

Trust me, it's not a good way to learn! Although you do get really good at rebuilding it multiple times -- and is an excuse to get upgrade parts.

Maybe try experimenting with a smaller fixed-pitch bird before working the Belt CP?

karen
"Tarbosaurus" HDX-450 SE v4 flown 96x crashed 7x 2221-8 v2; D202MGs; 2100T+DS290G belt cp 450 fl/cr 35:11x HK-450fl/cr 22:4 e-smart 600 fl/cr 13:1 Lama V4 fl 7 HK-T500 fl/cr 5:1 3026-1210; HS-225MGs DX6i Total flights: 171; crashes: 24 "Accident Free for 1 Flights!" --- www.tarbosaurus.org
nasukaren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in