Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion 1360 kv - Roxxy 960-6 issue?

First of all I'd like to thank all of the helpful people at hf. While it took a lot longer to sort out my problem with my newly built Warp 360 then i hoped, I got several hints here of what it COULD have been.

On my maiden flight after about half a minute of flying all of a sudden the motor stopped working. I was hovering about 4m over the ground and was so shocked, that I did not move any sticks at all. So it was not possible for me to decide if my ar7200bx had gone into failsafe because of lost connection to my dx6i, if my governor Roxxy 960-6 was responsible for that or if the relatively weakly rated internal BEC of 3A continuous current wasn't enough.
But I didn't notice any blinking of the ar7200bx status led.

My first guess was that I should better have installed a satellite, because the warp was side in in such a way, that the antennas of my ar7200bx where hidden by the carbon side frames.
So I installed a spectrum dsmx satellite an changed the position of the main antennas.

2nd to fourth flight no issues. Then in 5th flight one stock tail blade suddenly went off during flight. Crash and lots of mechanical damage to my bird. Replaced stock tail blades by kbdd 61mm ones. These are working fine for me.

Some few flights later the motor stopped working again. I than (electrically speaking) grounded the tail boom and installed the WR hercules mini pro 10A continous external BEC.
While I started to trust my Warp during the following 10 flights or so I once flipped it and stayed hovering inverted about 2m over the ground. Unfortunately not only went the motor off one more time but my bird fell down into the one and only 2m x 0.5m puddle on my huge flying field

I admit that I started to feel a little bit lost that moment...

Then I replaced the Roxxy 960-6 governor and the external BEC by a YGE 90lv and added the DC-Up mark II from fromenco.

Now 19 fligths since then without any motor stops or other issues. All flights finished whith the third blue led on the DC-Up flashing, so the DC-Up assisted BEC seems to be strong enough. So may I or may I not: ?

So I have these questions:
Does anybody else have experienced a similar behaviour with the scorpion HK 2520 1360kv motor and the 960-6 Roxxy governor (with or without WR hercules mini pro 2.0)?
If somebody has these components working flawlessly together: What are your governor settings for timing, response of governor, acceleration, governor mode.
(Mine were: 5°, normal, slowest, on).

If somebody too uses the same motor and the YGE 90lv: What are your governor settings for PWM and timing, I use 6 kHz and 18°.

Any feedback on this appreciated - thanks in advance.
warpy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

warpy,

I don't believe too many of us run that model, I personally have not even heard of it. I see that you are in Germany so this is most likely a model that we don't get stateside (or in Australia, since a bunch of HF users seem to be from down under).

Just throwing this out there, but the Scorpion 2520-XXXX series motors are 10 pole and 12 slot stater motors, they require a high switching rate which some ESCs in this size category cannot deliver due to software and possibly even hardware limitations. I know the Kontronik Kobe has this issue, and I believe other Kontronik and YGE ESCs had the issue at some point but were fixed due to software updates.

Any specs on this ESC?

EDIT: regarding PWM, I believe Scorpion recommends 8khz on all of their out-runners.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi bacon,

thanks for your answer.

Yes, Scorpion recommends 8 kHz for this motor.

Roxxy - 960-6 Specs:
Dimensions: 66 x 25 x 10 mm
Protection mechanisms: PCO, POR, TP, Rx-Filter, Cool Power FET
PWM: 32 kHz
weight ca.: 49 g
pulse current: 70 A
continuous current: 60 A
cell-count: 6-18 NC/NiMH or 2-6 LiPo cells
BEC: 5,5V 3A / pulse 5A

I was aware of the fact that the PWM of 32 kHz of this roxxy governor is far more than scorpion recommends. But can this cause a running motor to stop? I would never have run it with a PWM much below 8 kHz. Please correct me if I should be wrong.
The governor didn't even feel warm.The temperature of the motor was pretty warm but not really hot. Indeed the motor gets at least as warm as that with my new YGE governor.

The roxxy governor remembers average and maximal head speed on a per flight basis. According to it they were about 2400 rpm / 2600 rpm. (I use to fly 5 cell packs)

On my blade 300X I have about 220 flights using a similar roxxy 940-6 (this means at most 40 A continous current) governor and a scorpion 2213-16 motor. Works great there.

If my YGE continues to work well on my warp I'll probably put this roxxy away. So hopefully this is more kind of historical interest now.

By the way: What a cool bird, the warp!!
warpy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in