Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios > Hitec Gyro/Servos

Hitec Gyro/Servos Hitec Gyro and Servo Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hitec 5065 vs. HS65HB flight comparison

I promised that I would post a flight comparison between my HS65HBs and the new 5065 digitals when I got them installed. Well, I just got back from the first flight with the 5065s on the cyclic and I really like them.

First of all, I have to say that there are a couple of other differences now in my set up than before. I am running an external CC BEC now, set at 6V and a step down for the 9257 on the tail. When I was running the HS65s before, I was using the internal BEC on my CC 45A ESC that puts out 5V. This time I also used a swash leveler to check for and program out any interactions (Very little interaction, but eliminated by adjusting the endpoints on a couple of servos.)

All that said, I felt more "connected" to the heli with the digital servos. It was very stable, responsive and a little quicker on cyclic, posssibly due to being able to run at 6V instead of the 5V I was running before. The heli also rolls much more axial than it did with the HS65s. It felt more locked in and precise. I still think the HS65s are great servos especially for the money, but after flying the 5065s can definitely recommend them. After talking to a tech rep at Castle, I would suggest running an external BEC if you are going to use digital servos on the cyclic.

The only other change I made on this rebuild is to put on some KBDD tail blades. I like them so far. Seem to have a little more holding power as I had to turn down the gyro gain with them from where it was with the stock tail blades. Held very well on the few manuevers I was able to do before it got too windy and cold.

Hope this helps anyone considering the 5065s.
R0t0R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmmm...If I ever need to replace one of my 65-mg's, I'll have to go with the 5065's, as long as they are still $115 from readyheli. If I were building a new one, I'd go digital for sure.

A quick question, I'm just assuming you might be able to tell me off the top of your head, making it easier than me searching for it...

What is the current limit for the internal BEC on the CC 45A ESC vs. the Align 35X ESC?

Back to your post, I have that problem myself...I never change just one thing at a time, so I don't know what made the most difference. The servo specs are definitely better at 6V than 4.8V, but from what I've read, it isn't that noticable of a difference in flight. Also, I've been running the KBDD blades, and now I don't know what I'm going to do with those spare batman blades now...

I flew in some cold wind today also. These little 450's handle the wind just fine as long as you can handle the heli. Yesterday and today I flew in ~20 mph winds. Once you get used to it, it isn't bad. Yesterday, when I took the heli out of the case and set it on the bench, the wind blew it over while I was chasing my blade holder tumbling away in the wind...Almost didn't fly when I saw that, but I'm glad I did.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Can't find the specs on the in BEC for the Align 35X ESC. When I talked to the CC tech rep and told him my previous set up, ( 3 HS65s, 9257 on tail) he said that I was right up on the limit of the internal BEC of the CC 45A ESC and suggested an external BEC if I put digitals on the cyclic. Looking at the manual that came with my CC ESC, it shows the BEC can handle 4 standard or micro servo on a 3S LiPo pack, so with a digital on the tail like the 9257, you are probably right on the limit. The manual shows that the internal BEC can only handle 2 high torque or digital servos on a 3S pack and to NOT use the internal BEC with more than 3S.

To answer your question, I don't know the current limit in amps for either BEC portion of the ESCs you asked about. I think the info from the CC manual pretty much tells the story though. For $22, the CC 10A external BEC is worth the peace of mind for me and is easy to install. I did the rebuild this time because of a radio failure last time and didn't want to take any chances again. Even sent my AR6100 into Horizon for the free firmware upgrade. (Was V1.2, now V1.6)

There is a noticeable difference in how the heli feels with the digital servos. Just wanted the disclaimer at the beginning so everyone can take it as subjectively as it was meant to be.

Yup, these helis do pretty good in the wind. I was chasing my canopy across the field before I could get it put on. I have no problem with flying in the wind, I just didn't know the weather was going to be nice and don't like to leave packs charged, so only had time to charge 2. Problem was more the cold. With the wind blowing like it was I start to loose feeling in my hands before my fun meter is fully pegged!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice to know the difference between the 65's and 5065's. I don't know the diffence since I had HS-55's, but I love the 5065's and now there is a servo programmer that doesn't cost 140 bucks to program out those little annoying interactions http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...6&cat=0&page=1
Old 01-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the servo programmer! Have you tried it yet?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, I have not. but I will eventually buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in