Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just took apart the 500M. I used a 3,5mm shaft to tap the motor shaft from the bottom. It wasn't so difficult to take it apart.

The lower bearing is gone,i was oiling the bearings every 6 flights.. Wear can be seen on the shaft at the place of the bearings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02831.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	160315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02832.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	160316  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidla View Post
I just took apart the 500M. I used a 3,5mm shaft to tap the motor shaft from the bottom. It wasn't so difficult to take it apart.

The lower bearing is gone,i was oiling the bearings every 6 flights.. Wear can be seen on the shaft at the place of the bearings.

Thanks for that! I just did it, very easy.

1. Grabbed motor with fist around silver section of motor, side with wires away from me. Held punch in hand with thumb and index finger of same hand. (Remember to loosen set screw that holds shaft. This is located on the end without the cables).

2. tapped punch with hammer a few times, shaft popped right out.

3. Put black cable end of motor into hobby vice with a LIGHT grip.

4. stuck JUST the end of the tips of two large screwdrivers between the black nose piece and the silver housing. Twisted slightly to lift the silver housing out. Twist slowly and EVENLY on both screwdrivers. This allows you to fight the magnetic field and lift out the silver housing.

Mine had slight lateral play, but very little wear, its only got three flights on it. Actually it wasn't even wear yet, just very light spin marks on the shaft.

Applied Green LocTite to both bearings and will see what happens from there. I did not remove the bearings, just put a drop of LocTite on either end of shaft near the inner race and let gravity make it enter the inner race of each bearing.

Again, thanks to Acidla for getting me started on this.

One more thing. I noticed when spinning the shaft that the bearings sound kind of noisy (before I put it back in the motor housing). This seems to suggest that the sealed bearings are not very well packed with grease. Didn't really sound like wear, just noise from balls rubbing against the race ways, like there is little lubrication. I'll probably be ordering a Scorpion soon as I scrape up some extra cash. I don't think the bearings will last through a lot of flights simply due to lack of lubrication. I don't like to lube sealed bearings, only makes them leak the grease out when you bust the seal and they get hot.

Another final note, since I just realized it. Set screw wasn't even tightened. I forgot about it and tapped the shaft out without touching the screw. It did have some LocTite on the screw threads.
jdacal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airscrew View Post
OMG.... dident,miniamal,lossening,meash,throug,befor,there ,shoulden't,there
I think It's something to do with spelling?!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jdacal, iam glad that my post was helpful for you

My motor had very few flights, about 30 and the lower bearing failed. So, you can order ceramic ones and have piece of mind. Boca bearings are said to be the top.

By the way, i ordered a Scorpion motor and ceramic bearings. I will fix the 500M and most probably sell it.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Jdacal, iam glad that my post was helpful for you

My motor had very few flights, about 30 and the lower bearing failed. So, you can order ceramic ones and have piece of mind. Boca bearings are said to be the top.

By the way, i ordered a Scorpion motor and ceramic bearings. I will fix the 500M and most probably sell it.
Sounds like a plan. I'll be doing that as well. You know what Boca part numbers you ordered for the 500M? I didn't see a kit on their site yet.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I guess this calls for a regular lubrication schedule for the 500m and other outrunner motors! My bearings obviously went dry and failed! Thanks for the procedure! Lesson learned! check your motors and keep them lubricated!
l-fever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ugh, I don't really want to deal with this. This was actually the purpose of me buying an align heli, to avoid this kind of problem.

What are you guys suggesting the problem is? Shoddy bearings?
Snuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really do think this comes down to the quality of the bearings. Prob just QC with Align as usual. Some of these motors will prob last years and others a few flights. I've been flying my 500 daily since I removed the play from the shaft and it is running great. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm also looking into getting a Scorpion motor if this one fails. Are the Scorpion motors a pain to maintain? Would you replace with same KV rating (HK 3026-1600kv)? Same KV but the out put wattage is a lot higher!

I don't have any experience with the Scorpion motors so any input would be greatly valued. Also looked into Neu motors WoooHooooo $$$$$$250.00 I'm sure they are awesome motors but you could buy 3 Scorions for that price!
TREX 700E FBL, SK720, 12S, Scorpion Comm 130A ESC & 4035-500 , 12T, WR Bec
Tisondm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacal View Post
Sounds like a plan. I'll be doing that as well. You know what Boca part numbers you ordered for the 500M? I didn't see a kit on their site yet.
The ceramic bearings are for the Scorpion(1600Kv). I dont know the Boca part numbers for the 500M and still i didn't manage to get the upper bearing out, its a tight fit. The lower one came out with ease.

I did a search on google to find replacement shaft and couldn't find, this is another disadvantage of the 500M..
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The ceramic bearings are for the Scorpion(1600Kv). I dont know the Boca part numbers for the 500M and still i didn't manage to get the upper bearing out, its a tight fit. The lower one came out with ease.

I did a search on google to find replacement shaft and couldn't find, this is another disadvantage of the 500M..

Well For scorpion if you search these dimensions in Boca bearings web page . They have many alternatives.
big one: inner=5 outer=13 width=4
small one: inner=5 outer=10 width=4

I prefer these they are ceramic ball and ultra seal lubed for life. (at least thats what they say)

big http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...MR695C-YUU_NB2
small : http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...MR105C-YUU_NB2

And for the 500M shaft it realy sucks to not find a replacement
nowadays Align's kits ( as I read from the forums and experienced it ,) is becoming like a lottery drawing. if you are lucky no problem if you are not then ......... well you read from most of them here
Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sundust, i ordered the exact bearings for my Scorpy

Well, he had bad luck with the Align motor, so, we have to move on.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another final note, since I just realized it. Set screw wasn't even tightened. I forgot about it and tapped the shaft out without touching the screw. It did have some LocTite on the screw threads.[/QUOTE]

The above is evidence of my discovery concerning these loose shafts, While putting my new 500M motor back together after reading about this problem and checking it out for myself, I found that the shaft detent ( the shallow hole where the set- screw locks into ) and the set screw holes DO NOT line up by approx. 1/16 of an inch! This makes it impossible to get a positive lock because the set screw bottoms out on the shaft surface. The shaft WILL come loose eventually. LocTite will not fix this.

I tapped the shaft farther toward the rear of the motor to align the holes. This caused the can to bind up against the stator portion of the motor. Grinding a flat similar to the one on the other end of the shaft where the pinion gear set screw locks on would solve the problem. Be sure to go an extra 1/16" or so beyond the detent toward end of shaft.

SOLUTION FOR DRY BEARINGS?

Someone here mentioned that they felt that lubricating their bearings on a regular basis might thin down what grease is in them. This is true. If you are compelled to do so, DO NOT use WD40 or similar solvents because SOLVENTS they are. They merely reactivate the dried oils and greases that are present..... if there was any to begin with. You're doing little good. I'd soak them in a good synthetic oil like Amsoil 5W30 or 10W40. I don't know if there's a way to get grease into them as they are sealed. OR...... replace them as others have suggested.
Kenap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I found these links on another forum after some Googling. The writer claims these are the two bearings (from Boca Bearings) needed for the BL500M motor:

Top Bearing
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=4415&n=SMR95C-YUU_NB2

Bottom Bearing
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...MR695C-YUU_NB2
Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I just noticed after running my motor up for the first time that there is end to end play. I guess I will take it apart and fix it.
piper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
Well I just noticed after running my motor up for the first time that there is end to end play. I guess I will take it apart and fix it.
I believe that most of us with 500M motors are bound to have this problem if the factory messed up on the misALIGNment (pun intended) on set screw hole and shaft-lock detent. If you don't want to buy a new motor, save this otherwise good motor by grinding a flat on the shaft. I used a Dremel tool with cutting wheel to do the work on the motor shaft which was quite easy!
Kenap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can this set screw be fixed wo taking the motor apart?
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

All I did to mine was remove the gap leaving just a small amount of play so the bearings don't bind, loctite and tighten the set screw. It hasn't moved after about 20 flights and is running great.
TREX 700E FBL, SK720, 12S, Scorpion Comm 130A ESC & 4035-500 , 12T, WR Bec
Tisondm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisondm View Post
All I did to mine was remove the gap leaving just a small amount of play so the bearings don't bind, loctite and tighten the set screw. It hasn't moved after about 20 flights and is running great.
That's exactly what I ended up doing on mine. I had 2mm of play and reduced it to 1mm. That let the set screw line up better and I also have 20+ flights on mine since then and it's still at 1mm.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundust View Post
Well For scorpion if you search these dimensions in Boca bearings web page . They have many alternatives.
big one: inner=5 outer=13 width=4
small one: inner=5 outer=10 width=4

I prefer these they are ceramic ball and ultra seal lubed for life. (at least thats what they say)

big http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...MR695C-YUU_NB2
small : http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...MR105C-YUU_NB2

And for the 500M shaft it realy sucks to not find a replacement
nowadays Align's kits ( as I read from the forums and experienced it ,) is becoming like a lottery drawing. if you are lucky no problem if you are not then ......... well you read from most of them here
Just to let you know in case you want to change your motor bearings that the big bearing is 5x13x4 but the small one is 5x9x3. Unfortunately I ordered the bearings listed above and then went to put the smaller one in and wondered why it didnt fit. So anyway here is the link to the right bearings from boca just in case anyone is interested

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...SMR95C-YUU_NB2
and
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...MR695C-YUU_NB2

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 500M after 25 flights. The shaft has a visible radial tolerance.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzattq_Kx90[/ame]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in