Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got 4 pinions coming that will be here on Wednesday. I'm tired of the drama about getting pinions. It's like a soap opera.

TM
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3secondsToImpact
Will the Mikado 22t 5mm 0.5 module pinion work on the Lepton?
no, the lepton uses 0.6 module
toyturbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

TMoore,
If you are so tired of the pinion drama - would you be kind enough to tell me where I can get a 23T pinion for the Lepton.
Thank you,
JH
buster1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure, Tamiya sells a 22 23T .6 mod pinion set for $7.00. I have two sets coming on Wednesday and the only thing I don't know is whether or not the pinions will fit my Hyperion motor but as long as I can bore out the holes in my lathe, I really don't care one way or the other.

RW Racing products in the UK make a set also but I've yet to find a US distributor that sells them.

TM
Old 12-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Can ya' tell us where you are getting the tamiya pinions?
CRAZYKEV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
altitudeav8r,
thanks for update regarding 23T pinion - where did you gets your if its not out until the New Year,
Thanks,
Jeff
I gave it to him the 23T to test and use as I got some early prototypes. Maybe that was not clear in this thread sorry

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Sure, Tamiya sells a 22 23T .6 mod pinion set for $7.00. I have two sets coming on Wednesday and the only thing I don't know is whether or not the pinions will fit my Hyperion motor but as long as I can bore out the holes in my lathe, I really don't care one way or the other.
Terry that is why there is a DRAMA.... People dont have the tools to do what you can do! Please understand this as they want pinions that WORK not something they can just say "well I dont care I will machine them to work". Anyway this is why there is drama.... If those pinions work (which as I understand they wont without boring as they are 4mm) then please let regular guys with out a lathe know

Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Bob - I am going to add to the drama of, "As the Pinions turn",
I assume from the threads you are testing one from a manufactuerer - as always, thanks for your efforts and info.
I would love to know when they are available,
Also, I am out in California this week - where is your field and when do you guys fly - maybe I will come down and say hello - not sure where you guys are. Also, if you fly on week days at all,
Later,
Jeff
buster1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

The pinions came from my LHS. They ordered them and three days later they show up in the mail.

It probably won't take 10 minutes to bore out the ID's and make them fit.

TM
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I am just looking to get a smaller pinion versus changing to a different motor. I have been out of the hobby for almost two years and back then I was just starting to learn 3D with loops and flips. I was flying a Logo 10 Extreme which even with a hadspeed of 2100, was much more docile than my Lepton is right now. I love this heli, but need a lower headspeed to get used to things again. Not flying for a few years has thrown me back further than I thought it would

Hell, if someone wants to make a quick $20 off me, I would be happy to pay $30 for a 21 or 22t pinion. Still is much cheaper than swapping motors and I think I'll want the added headspeed a couple months down the road from now anyhow.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you tried contacting "Kovi". I bevieve he is still selling them.
ckoelliker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #32 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'll try him also. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, the Tamiya gears are a lot shorter than the stock Hirobo so I'm going to have to make a shim to set the gear down on the shaft. I will also need to drill and tap another hole in the gear 90 degrees to the existing one. The Tamiya gear cross section is only as tall as the delrin main gear so it needs to precisely locate on the motor shaft to maintain the proper engagement height, hence the reason for the locator shim.

When the ID is bored out to .199" there will only be a .005" wall left in the gear as the end of the gear is trepanned .094" deep. I can only imagine that this is for cool looks as it makes virtually no difference to how it runs either in a car or on the Lepton.

I'll let y'all know how this works and if it is a viable option considering the cheap price for the gears.

TM
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick question for people using 23T pinion: If I will be using an ESC in governor mode, does it make sense to use the 23T pinion, or should I install the 24T so there is headroom?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Flying Cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

No head room... 23T is really made for 100% throttle curve and 3K head RPM.... Go 24 or even 26 if you want gov mode and good head speeds...

Bob
Old 06-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

Thank you for your prompt. I am currently building my Lepton per your famous Finless videos

Last edited by Flying Cat; 09-03-2007 at 02:39 PM..
Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered my lepton last night- I'm excited. Where can I get a 23t pinion for this bird?
jonny_volts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

abo,

You are going to LOVE this heli!!! You can get the 23T Revco pinions at ReadyHeli.com

Enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in