Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do you feel about your NX4?

How do you feel about the NX4 so far especially for those who also flies 90 size? Is this little nitro above your expectation, below your expectation or just ok?

Just want to heat some feedbacks and comments.

Rudy
rudyy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is way above mine. I love my 700 trex with a 120 but this little Heli is a blast. It is already my fav over the 700
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's awesome to here. Makes me glad I went for the nx4 instead of a 700.
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My expectations for this heli were REALLY high. I saw it fly many times in the hands of Bobby Watts and I knew it was going to be a killer little heli. So far, I'm in the "like" phase and not yet in the "love" phase with it. It must be that I'm still running too rich because I'm still bogging it. I'm about 1 full turn plus a few more clicks. I'm also not getting the 6min flight times out of it... more like 5:30 and land and the main tank is almost dry.

Performance-wise, it handles great! It only took me a few flights after leaning it out to get comfortable with my usual maneuvers. It is very nicely locked in, although I noticed a little bouncing up/down in fast forward flight... maybe my vbar gain is a little too high.

The tail holds very well and you can do very fast inverted hurricanes without fear of losing it at the apex. I have yet to experience a tail blowout with it.

On the down side... the canopy is incredibly tight. They could have given us just a little more room to accommodate all of those electronics up front. Also, the CoG is way off and the tail is quite heavy. My canopy grommets holes have elongated and I've been forced to enlarge them and install Trex700 canopy inserts and grommets.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, regardless of how fantastic this machine may be, without good vendor support, its dead. We need to be able to get kits and parts from all the major players out there. This whole business of releasing the kit and then waiting weeks for the parts really sucks. Also, please include a few extras in the kit...like for example, extra cotter pins, canopy grommets, ball links, carb ball and spacer.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Carlos do you think anything can be done to the stock canopy to make it last? Do you have any pics of your 700 mounts.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
Carlos do you think anything can be done to the stock canopy to make of last? Do you have any pics of your 700 mounts.
Well, for one, don't stretch it! If you can move anything that's in its way from closing freely, then do so. In my case, that was not possible with a full size vbar... there is just not enough room.

To repair my canopy and make that area stronger, I cut out two squares from an old crashed canopy. I then heated them up with a lighter so they would be malleable and quickly pressed them hard against the inside of the canopy grommet area and let them cool down. This made the square retain the exact shape of the area.

I then mixed up some JB Weld quick and glued the squares to the inside of the canopy and let them cure. I used paper clips as "clamps" to hold the squares tightly against the canopy while the JB weld cured.

Finally, I used a reamer tool to open up new holes to 8mm so I could fit the plastic protector pieces from the Trex 700 grommets. These inserts go into the grommet hole and protect the canopy holes from elongating. I glued these plastic inserts using RTV gasket glue, which is impervious to oil. Once everything cured, I inserted the new grommets in place and put a nice coat of rubber-safe grease (tri-flow) on the grommets so they slide easily over the canopy posts.

These are the grommets:
http://www.readyheli.com/HN7059-Cano...o_p_33726.html

As you can see, they come with the plastic inserts:

AMA #934662
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice tips! Thanks for the great details on how to!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Very nice tips! Thanks for the great details on how to!
Anytime! Forgot to mention, before you apply JB Weld, use a little piece of scotch tape on the painted side to cover the existing hole. That will prevent any epoxy from getting on the canopy painted side.
AMA #934662
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am sure the answers are going to vary depending on how long people have been in the hobby. I think it is simply fantastic! This is the 30 size, power and part fit we all wanted 20+ years ago! Looking at the muffler on it compared to the stuff we had 20+ years ago, it’s huge!

Just came back in from a flight (42 degrees out) and it was awesome! The thing moves and groves, very agile and plenty of power and punch for me. Love the sound, love the smell of nitro Can’t wait to lean it out a bit more.

I also have a 600 and 700 and don’t see them getting as much stick time anymore. This one is just so much easier to transport, fuel up, etc. The OS 37 purrrs and runs very well (have 9 flights now). Don’t get me wrong love the 600 and 700 but there is something nostalgic of this little guy. I have decided to sell the 600 and just keep the 450, NX4 and the 700.

Very happy with it so far! Hope it continues.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my first two flight on mine a the weekend, unfortunately I just ran out of daylight to get anymore in. Plus the fact my pushglo failed and blew two plugs, plus my spare. Will not be bothering with one of those again, just go with a simple remote glow.

Anyway, the Gaui was super smooth even with the motor running quite rich. Looked fab in the air and everyone at the field loved it. Only problem is the price which is going to kill it in the UK, it's a very expensive little model.

Looking forward to having more stick time at the weekend.

Last edited by Si_B; 12-03-2012 at 02:09 PM..
Si_B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I too have thoroughly enjoyed mine! I have about a dozen flights on it and still dialing it in. It's 98% but I'm a tinkerer and looking for "my perfect" which I'm almost at.

Regarding the canopy and it being tight. If you place the battery on the bottom part of the nose, the canopy fits much better! I just installed a remote glow out the side, by the tank (picture doesn't show this) so I can cover the glow driver access with the battery. Have a 1450 mAh pack on there and it fits great.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
I too have thoroughly enjoyed mine! I have about a dozen flights on it and still dialing it in. It's 98% but I'm a tinkerer and looking for "my perfect" which I'm almost at.

Regarding the canopy and it being tight. If you place the battery on the bottom part of the nose, the canopy fits much better! I just installed a remote glow out the side, by the tank (picture doesn't show this) so I can cover the glow driver access with the battery. Have a 1450 mAh pack on there and it fits great.

Yes, but you are running a mini-V. I'm running a full-size vbar so I can use the nitro governor. Canopy is definitely a struggle to mount with a full size vbar. I have the same Hyperion 1450 battery as low as it will go.

AMA #934662
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I now also have 12 flights... LOVE IT!!! It is an awesome flying machine and is very fast. The motor runs perfect, the chopper feels great. I am getting about 6:00-6:30 per flight at 1.25 needle turn using OS 37, OS #8 and Coolpower 30/30.

It is easy to transport, fuel up, start, etc. Flips, tic tocs, funnels whatever I can throw at it, it just keeps going.... and looks awesome in flight... LOVE the canopy.

Great job Gaui and Bobby,
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow 6-630 I at only a couple clicks rich of 1 turn out and can barely get over 5 mins. I cant figure out whats going on, running 2700hs
flyboy907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy907 View Post
wow 6-630 I at only a couple clicks rich of 1 turn out and can barely get over 5 mins. I cant figure out whats going on, running 2700hs
I'm pushing 5:30 and land with the tank pretty much dry. I'm 4 clicks rich of 1 turn. What I do notice different between flying this heli and my 700N is that after landing, the 700N barely has any oil on the main frame and canopy. The NX4 looks like it went swimming in the stuff. Perhaps still too rich... tuning these nitro motors is such an art... wish there was an easier way to get it "just right" without having to have magical ears.
AMA #934662
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
I now also have 12 flights... LOVE IT!!! It is an awesome flying machine and is very fast. The motor runs perfect, the chopper feels great. I am getting about 6:00-6:30 per flight at 1.25 needle turn using OS 37, OS #8 and Coolpower 30/30.

It is easy to transport, fuel up, start, etc. Flips, tic tocs, funnels whatever I can throw at it, it just keeps going.... and looks awesome in flight... LOVE the canopy.

Great job Gaui and Bobby,

I believe Bobby said in the video that 1.25 on the needle would be just perfect.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

in video he said start at 1. 25 i think when I am at 1.25 i will be lucky to get 4 min. I also can leave my finger on backplate forever but just scared to keep leaning below 1 turn. I use my temp gauge and its reading 140 at the base of the head but I just don't understand how it can be soo cool still. It has to be running rich if I am getting such short flight times. Maybe I will just keep leaning her out lol
flyboy907 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I believe Bobby said in the video that 1.25 on the needle would be just perfect.
Not for everyone. At 1.25, my OS37 pretty much drinks the fuel and bogs doing anything other than figure 8s.
AMA #934662
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Yes, but you are running a mini-V. I'm running a full-size vbar so I can use the nitro governor. Canopy is definitely a struggle to mount with a full size vbar. I have the same Hyperion 1450 battery as low as it will go.

I saw a guy run the sensor in the back plate by the boom. You could do that and put the control box on the front gyro plate. Just an option to consider.

I have my timer at 6 min and fly over it just a little. I'm not precisely sure where the needle is but it's running pretty strong and on 30% Rotor Rage.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
I saw a guy run the sensor in the back plate by the boom. You could do that and put the control box on the front gyro plate. Just an option to consider.

I have my timer at 6 min and fly over it just a little. I'm not precisely sure where the needle is but it's running pretty strong and on 30% Rotor Rage.
Yeah, I'm not rewiring this thing! My fingers are just now recovering from the first go-around!

Seems a lot of guys are getting over 6min flight times, so assuming we're all banging on it pretty good, the only other variable is the needle and the governor. My vbar logs show that it routinely had to open the throttle 100% to keep up with the headspeed I requested (2700RPM)... so it stands to reason that my needle is still too rich.

After landing, the heli looks like it took a bath in nitro and the backplate is not hot. I can keep my finger on it all day long. I'll lean it out a few clicks at a time and see what happens.
AMA #934662

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in