Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Reflex Flight Sim

Reflex Flight Sim Reflex Simulator Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Graphics Card Requirements ?

Can you run XTR with less than the recommend graphics card?

I have a dell lap top which I am sure meets the computer requirement but has a built in graphics card on the motherboard (nothing fancy). I would like to be able to take this with me on the road and practice. I am currently running FMS.
Gary JP4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run Reflex on a Dell Inspiron 600m with the following specs:

1.8 Ghz Intel Pentium M processor
1 GB PC2100 DDR RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (64mb onboard memory)

The sim runs pretty well for the most part.

It should be noted that the standard version 5.xxx scenery is much harder on the graphics card than the 4.xxx scenery. If your onboard graphics card can't handle the panoramas try using the standard three dimensional scenery included w/ Reflex. It's at the top of the scenery list. It doesn't look nearly as good as the panoramas (and in fact looks about the same as FMS) but it uses the version 5.xxx physics modeling so flying feels just the same.

Do you already own Reflex, or are you looking to buy? Be sure to check whether your onboard graphics card has access to at least 32 Mb of memory and that your RAM and processor are up to snuff. If you buy the software and find out your computer can't hack it, they won't offer a refund. Just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck to you!

Fletch
Old 07-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks fletchnuts,

I am looking to buy. I have been looking at G3 and Reflex. I have a desktop that I could put a good video card in but I would like to use it on my laptop on the road. That is when I have some free time.

I will check by laptop specs ram and chip set. It is a Dell Inspiron 5100, Pentium 4, and I forget the ATI graphics chip-set but it is built in.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Gary,

If I remember correctly the Dell Inspiron 5100 came equipped with an ATI 7500 chipset. It's certainly not the most modern chipset and may not run XTR all that well. I'm sure it will run the standard 4.xxx scenery just fine. If you go on Reflex's site they have a listing of chipsets running Unreal Tournament which provides a decent basis for comparison.

http://www.reflex-sim.dyndns.org/ref...?faqPath=15_16

The 7500 would slot in down near the very bottom with the GeForce 4 MX 440. As both are similar generation cards. (The MX 440 is essentially a geforce 2 with added hardware support for pixel shading.)

The rest of your system looks like it should handle the program with no problem, and your desktop will probably run just fine.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

Here are the specs on the Inspiron 5100. P4, 2.8Gh with 512 MB of RAM. Graphics chip set ATI M7CSP, 64MB 5100. That is the way Dell says it.

The desk top is a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 2.8Gh, with 512 MB Ram. The card is a Dell N1707 discribed as "CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, M9, FULL HEIGHT, Television Tuner, MEDIA CENTER". Whatever that is. I guess I could upgrade that one.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well both of those chipsets appear to possess 64 mb of onboard memory which is good, but i'm not sure how well either of them will be at rendering the XTR's graphics. You'll probably be able to use the 4.xxx scenery w/o a hitch, but I can't say for sure w/ regards to the panolusion scenery.

I wish I could give you more specific information on each of those graphics chipsets but I've never heard of them...
Old 07-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeap. That’s Dell I guess.

I think I will try it. If it doesn't work or work to my liking, I guess I can get a good card in the desk top.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

No prob, best of luck to you!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I tried running the Relfex demo on a Dell laptop (Latitude D600, 2GB, PentiumM 1.8GHz, Radeon 9000 32MB). It runs, but only at 15 to 30fps.

It's hard to extrapolate from the canned demo to how it will run for real, although the Reflex folk assure me that the demo is a good test of the PC's ability to run it.

I run ClearView on the laptop very succesfully, including photofield scenery. It's only $USD30 instead of $300 and seems pretty good to me, but then I'm only a beginner.

YMMV.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, be sure you have the most current drivers for you card/chipset. When I tried my laptop, (hp pavilion with 512, ati radeon mobility 9200, It wouldn't run the panoramic scenery but ran the rendered scenery fine. Then I upgraded to the latest drivers and it runs very well now. Ocassionaly I will get a freeze, but with tweaking I think I can get that part fixed too.

Anyone know if you can get a good graphics card in a laptop slot type card? If so, that would be a good alternative for an older laptop that won't support the full on graphics in the sim. Also, The smaller screen on the laptop is not nearly as nice as the desktop with a nice 19" flat screen monitor. Like you I would like the option of running on the laptop, but will probably spend most time on the desktop......good luck, It is a blast using a great sim.....
gordohigh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Laptop graphics are built on the motherboard and I have never come across any laptops that allow for graphics-subsystem upgrades actually on the laptop. Some laptops have fancier docking stations that might support a higher performance graphics card, but that won't help you on the road.

You could always use G3/Reflex on the desktop and FMS or CV (or you might be able to pickup a cheap copy of G2) while on the road. Variety is the spice...
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

There was talk a year or two ago about providing upgradeable graphics cards in notebooks, but it never got past one or two production batches. I think Alienware was the only "major" notebook manufacturer to try it, and I don't think they're doing it now. It just takes too much of an investment and too much communication from the notebook manufacturers and video card manufacturers to provide a standard for the expansion bays and the cards themselves. With a laptop, what you've got is what you've got unfortunately.

Gary, if you really want to test the performance of your computers, give the downloadable demo a shot. Mess around with the panorama resolutions until you're satisfied with the refresh rate. Also be sure to play back one of the intense 3D recordings (f9) that has a lot of fast side to side panning. This will let you see if the refresh rate is fast enough. If you notice artifacting or stuttering in the flying it's probably because you're computer just can't handle the graphics. Keep in mind the possibility of running the version 4.xxx scenery (included w/ XTR) on your laptop, and the 5.xxx scenery on your desktop. The 4.xxx scenery looks very similar to fms (and runs on slower computers) but the flight models are far superior. This way you only have to buy XTR and you can use the same setup on both computers.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the info.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just to follow up.

I got Reflex and installed it on the laptop. It runs acceptably. A little choppy sometimes if going fast and the trees are in the background but I am happy with it.

PS It runs better on my desktop.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

i am upgrade ge5200 to ati 9550 card and happy with it. right now i got over 65 fps ... compare to under 20fps from the old geforce 5200.
also , this is my happy $60 upgrade
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

I don't think I can upgrade the card in my laptop. I don't think it is a card. Built into the mother board I think.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just an update. It works quite well if I turn off everything I don't need from the system tray. I turn off anti virus,and every thing I have running that I don't need and it works well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in