Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep it organized.

You could throw it arround, but there are things even a bd3sx can't handle if there is not enough energy in the disk to counter the falling momentum near the earth, or if you crash by msjudging path before you hit cr.

If you want to throw it arround be sure to select enough headspeed in the idle and land early. It uses a lot of enery to fly like in the sim.
Not to be compared to the sportsflying.

There is nothing like a virgin bird, where everything is in perfect shape.

Keep it as long as possible. I am a big fan of your organized approach.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want tostart to learn the piroflips steered through and organized, you might consider learning backflips in motion first.
Frontflips same.

Backflips changing from forward normal to inverted backwards.

then learn to insert a 180 degree tail in the vertical to come out inverted forward again.

You should steer back cyclic slowly and coordinated to the direction you steer rudder so tht the tail is pointing to the side when you are vertical and slowly towards push cyclic to steer it out to a normal inverted.

the trick is to steer slow and coordinated. You will get that halfpiroflp ( the smack move ) down easy,

remember to train all 4 ( or 8 )

Backflipping rudder cw
". Ccw
Fronflipping rudder cw
" ccw

Have fun
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Well it was start of July till it was flying.

Wow. Your first flight on 550 class. Just using a sim and a 130x to get to that level of slow control (in months not years). You should be very happy with what you have achieved.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #164 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default The good, the bad and the downright ugly.

The good, the bad and the downright ugly.

Spending time away I have had some time to sim practice some stuff.

The good.

15 min slow piros upright or inverted almost never leave the inner 5m diameter circle. Do one session of this only every now and then. Most sessions start with an invert 8 point CW, one CCW an 8 point upright CW and CCW then the 8s pattern then what I am working towards. The opening exercises take only 5 mins. Keeps the eye/hand in.

My BD3SX reset reflex is working well. Most of the time I "lose" it, I hit the CR switch on the TX which resets the sim. Not perfect with it yet, but sometimes activate it before I consciously realise I am in trouble. Then I realise that I really had lost control and the reflex was working faster than my conscious brain. Hopefully this also will happen in the real world preventing an X5 rebuild

End each session with half a dozen autos. Occasionally to auto training. Heli-X autos are not floaty like Phoenix. Mostly I can settle (without sliding, but often a little roughly) in the 5x5m starting paved area. Most autos have at least a 180 degree turn in them on descent.

The bad.

Was watching a vid by Nick Maxwell of F3C with a twist (Man! that guy can fly). In the vid he does flips over a flag while side on. Got me thinking. How are my flips and rolls when not tail in. This ties in the with clicky challenge of centring continuous flips.

Started a new exercise. In the hover circle (leave 5m radius circle you crash), forward, back, left and right flips from each of the compass points (N,E,S,W). Must stabilise after each half flip/roll with tail in appropriate direction (ie. front flip "tail over" from upright tail E, stabilize invert tail W, then back flip "tail under" to upright tail E again, then repeat back flip, then roll left, then roll right).

Can do this, but it gets a little crazy at times.

Piro flips are getting better, still wild at times. Both CW and CCW, starting tail from any of the 4 compass points. Still only flipping disc forward though. Often half piro-flip change piro direction, full piro flip, change direction, half piro flip.

The downright ugly.

Clicky's continuous flip exercise. I have a "love/hate" relationship with this. I love it because I cannot do it. I hate it because I cannot do it. Clicky, you are an evil man.

I cannot put enough trim on the DX8 to enable me to continuously flip or roll a 600 from stationary without leaving the 10m radius circle. It does not roll fast enough on trim alone.

When I do the exercise, using manual elevator (or aileron), even at 50% speed, I crash more that 20 times in a 15 min session, on front flips (my most comfortable). I lost count of the number of resets (BD3SX reflex when in trouble), crashes only occur when I leave the circle or do not reset in time. This is at 1 flip per 4s approx.

The speed of the flip varies, but I try not regress.

I will persist with this. I can see the benefit. But I can also see progress will be slow.

Saved for later

High speed piro stabilization has been put on hold for the moment. Trim direction does not get it to spin fast enough (like flips). Have tried to contact the Heli-X developers with enhanced piro speed as an option in hover training, but no response. May have a go at finding it in the java class (but this is against the Heli-X license agreement). Sure this enhancement cannot be too hard (even if the rotations per minute table was changed to 0,1,2,4,15,30,60 from 0,1,2,3,4,5,6).

Also been avoiding tic-tocs, rainbows and hurricanes. No particular reason, just do not appeal to me at this stage. I'm sure I will pick them up soon enough if all the other basics are in place.

Other fun experiments

Also been trying:
- backward loops, inverted loops (forwards and backwards) with varying degrees of success.
- 360 stall turns (forward, backward, upright and inverted) also with varying degrees of success.
- mobuis 8s (but only forwards/backwards, not siedways), transitions still very sloppy.
- MAAA gold test moves, slow improving.

Thanks for reading this far.

Is there anything else I should be working on? Other suggestions? Things I should slow down and solidify?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just confirming I am on the right track

Just something that I've started at the start of this month:
I created a 'Routine', where I fly all the moves I am currently practicing after each other, while doing some simple transitions in between.
This does a couple of things:
- This is the main thing why I started doing this, I want to learn transitions, and I want those transitions to grow with the rest of my flying.
- It improves the moves I'm learning. Much more control.
- Because I keep switching between moves and orientations, I prevent mixups of orientations. I do the whole routine in one lipo, and it keeps me sharper.
- And I keep adding sim stuff to the routine. For example, the transition from a forward figure eight to an inverted forward figure eight(sideways roll to inverted) is something I had never flown before, but now I was sort of forces to, because I wanted to it on my routine.
- If you ever want to show a collague, family member or friens what it's all about, you can fly your routine, so you don't have to think about what to do next. Of course, if there is one really tricky part, you can leave it out for that one flight

Would be fun to see if you have anything like this, I' curious to see what transitions you can come up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good !

Can you post the link with the Maxwell f3c video?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #167 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRabit View Post
Can you post the link with the Maxwell f3c video?
My mistake, it was FAI, not F3C, but here it is.

I like the slow piroing flips over the mark, keeping piro-flips over the mark and the control in the second half of the M figure.

Also like the idea of trying to fly figures inverted. They are hard enough upright. Most heli's are set up to be less stable inverted.

Does F3C now allow flybarless?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #168 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade450 View Post
Just something that I've started at the start of this month:
I created a 'Routine', where I fly all the moves I am currently practicing after each other, while doing some simple transitions in between.

Would be fun to see if you have anything like this, I' curious to see what transitions you can come up with.
Very nice. You are a step or two ahead of me. Should start this next month. What is your "routine" if I may ask?

My main "routine" is the all transitioning 8's. (Exciting for me as the flyer (as I find my weak point), but not exciting for others to watch).

A routine (was always the longer term plan) and would be something like:
  • 8 point upright piro
  • Fast forward 8
  • Forward loop
  • 720 stall turn
  • Double roll
  • 1/2 Cuban 8
  • 360 stall turn
  • Backward loop
  • Tail-down funnel to inverted tail-down funnel
  • Inverted nose first 8
  • Inverted 8 point piro
  • Piro to 1 & 1/2 (or 3 & 1/2) piro-flip (reversing after each 1 flip)
  • Upright piro circle (or 8)
  • Big immelman (could be vertical 8, or climbing inverted funnel, some interesting way of gaining height)
  • 180, S or Spiral auto

(this was off the top of my head, and every move listed I can do individually to some extent in the sim).

This could be mixed up a bit by not half rolling out of the cuban 8 and doing a 1/2 roll out of the 360 stall turn, or do the backward loop inverted and 1/2 roll out into the upright tail down funnel, etc.. But I think you get the idea.

The idea is to start simple then get a little showy, bring back to simple, then showy and bring it home.

After this would be training a routine to music.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Remember that the way is the fun in life.
You are moving at lightspeed at the moment.

From the video i have seen i think there will be no problems for you adding figures flying like cuban 8 e.g to your training.

For a structured training may i suggest to you looking at the FAI beginners F3C flying figures catalog?
They might not look so spectacular but they are real hard to do exact, especially with wind and precision.

What makes peoples like Maxwell or Wendtlands flying look so good is the precision they can steer the things THROUGH not just slam the sticks.

Structurally might be of interest to you to do the 4 leaved clover training next.
I think i have posted the german site with the training videos to you before.
It is from the german FAI/F3C team manager/organizer as far as i know.
http://www.rc-heli.de/board/showthread.php?t=164685

The four leaved clover training is here

http://www.rc-heli.de/board/showthread.php?t=79801
Look for "Kleeblätter"

One of my (booring) trainings is the following two

http://www.f3c-heli.de/downloads/cat...bung-sport-sdx

Look onto Page 10 the "Wendefiguren 2 - Verfahrenskurve"

This figure can be trained forward, backward, normal, inverted, left-right and right to left.
Looks easy and is not.
Speed and height and midpoint of circle have to be as precise as you have seen at Maxwells Piroetting M
The figure should be backward inverted as precise as forward normal.

The next is the streight landing into the circle on page 11.
You should train it also normal forward and backward and inverted ( do not touch down inverted.. ) forward and backward.

Then i add a slow hovering piro arround the flag, where i try to get the skids as close as possible to the flag.

But you will surely find a faster way.

Thanks for the video link.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made a short video of my routine:

Practicing a routine on the sim (4 min 26 sec)

I still have a lot of practice to do
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #171 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade450 View Post
Made a short video of my routine:

I still have a lot of practice to do
Looks very good to me.

I like the piro 8's and the reversal then another piro 8 (and the piro 1/2 loop transition), then repeat inverted. Also like the the 2 piro-flips at the end (one CW, then one CCW) and the 4 point tic-toc to the tail-town funnel 8 is also good. You are a lot smoother than me.

I think the routine needs some loops and/or rolls. Looks very "level". Maybe a rainbow or some pivoting stall turns.

One comment is on the 8's is that they seem to be very flat through the middle. My personal preference is to have 8 like abutting circles (It needs to come straight at me or go straight away from me in the middles).

Overall very nice.

(Now I wish I could get my Linux Heli-X to video. Numerous attempts, but little success. I can record a flight, but not video it. Will continue attempts, may have to record Linux, playback windows to capture.)
Old 05-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do I really need a sim to get better at 3 d I feel like it don’t help really .
brphilli83@icloud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2023, 10:01 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brphilli83@icloud View Post
Do I really need a sim to get better at 3 d I feel like it don’t help really .
Mind to share why doesn’t it work for you? To me practice on the SIM daily with structured orientation trainings helped me a lot to get all used to all hover orientations. I’m still working on inverted hover orientations in real life but SIM does provide me a way to practice. I’m curious why did you find it not helpful.
super132 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in