Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Motors

Anyone know if another motor might come out with a little more power? I love the way my 300x flies, almost don't want to fly anything else now, but wouldn't mind a little more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whats your setup now? 10 tooth on the stock motor and a governed esc really wakes it up.

That said I have a motor on the way that might just do the trick, higher kv than stock, little bit bigger, will need to be governed. Hopefully I will be able to test it out this weekend.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I'm flying a 4400kv Scorpion HKII-2221-6 with a cut down shaft for the 9T e-flite pinion. I got 13* +/- pitch with edge main blades. I tried to add more pitch, however the tail won't hold during hard pumps at 14* degrees of pitch. I am using a Scorpion Commander 15V 60A ESC V3. I haven't tried governed mode yet since I am not getting full power out of the e-flite 1350mah batteries. I know a 60A ESC is too much for the motor and I so I tried to get a Kontronik Koby 55A ESC, but everyone seems to be out of those. With The e-flite battery I'm only getting 30c drain out of her so I'm not going to burn up my motor only putting in around 32-35A to It. It also flew just fine with the scorpion motor, an Align RCE-BL35X ESC and stock battery combo when I was testing the motor out initially.

So far I am very happy with how the 300x flies with this motor, it is definatley quicker and more nimble.

I'm waiting on some 1500mah 3s 35c batteries to come in from Hong Kong so that I can put full 50A+ of juice to the motor and see what she can really do.

So far the only negative effects is quickly worn out head dampners bushings and only 4min flight time which I can live with...
clouseau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

yep,,, a quality motor that fits without mods, one that is better balanced, just a tad more power, and an ESC that works with the BL Heli code would be perfect.
mike4406 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4406 View Post
yep,,, a quality motor that fits without mods, one that is better balanced, just a tad more power, and an ESC that works with the BL Heli code would be perfect.
Yes, sure would be nice if the aftermarket guys had an upgrade kit like this...Hint! hint!
I tried to put put something together that wasn't overkill and I didn't have to modify, but the only motors close to the kv and power of the 300x are for ducted fan applications. So Instead I opted to stick with a quality motor that I know is good and build around it.
clouseau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I found a winner

It's a Dons Wicked 4800Kv with some minor work done to the shaft. Hopefully Don will be able to supply them ready to mount.

Little taller than the stock motor, MUCH better copper fill, better bearings, sounds better. More testing and info to come.

Using a Phx 25 in set rpm mode but have a 33amp running blheli to try too.

Dylan
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouseau View Post
I'm flying a 4400kv Scorpion HKII-2221-6 with a cut down shaft for the 9T e-flite pinion. I got 13* +/- pitch with edge main blades. I tried to add more pitch, however the tail won't hold during hard pumps at 14* degrees of pitch. I am using a Scorpion Commander 15V 60A ESC V3. I haven't tried governed mode yet since I am not getting full power out of the e-flite 1350mah batteries. I know a 60A ESC is too much for the motor and I so I tried to get a Kontronik Koby 55A ESC, but everyone seems to be out of those. With The e-flite battery I'm only getting 30c drain out of her so I'm not going to burn up my motor only putting in around 32-35A to It. It also flew just fine with the scorpion motor, an Align RCE-BL35X ESC and stock battery combo when I was testing the motor out initially.

So far I am very happy with how the 300x flies with this motor, it is definatley quicker and more nimble.

I'm waiting on some 1500mah 3s 35c batteries to come in from Hong Kong so that I can put full 50A+ of juice to the motor and see what she can really do.

So far the only negative effects is quickly worn out head dampners bushings and only 4min flight time which I can live with...
Holy crap that should be a monster... It was nuts on my 450x with a 11t pinion. With this smaller bird it should fly! VIDEOS!!!!
smackin130x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cant you use a eflight 420 motor from the 4503d? Or the 440... That would be pretty cheap...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackin130x View Post
Cant you use a eflight 420 motor from the 4503d? Or the 440... That would be pretty cheap...
Kv is too low.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey, if I helped to "push" this idea a little bit, feel free to use me as one of your testers lol!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most excellent...can we buy at Asteriods soon...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Kv is too low.
Even the 4200kv 440? With a higher tooth pinion...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really nothing wrong with the stock 300x 320H motor imho. If you want a little more pop, just go through the ar7200bx setup and increase the stock +/-12 deg collective pitch to +/-13 deg. Does not sound like much but the diff is very noticeable.

Puting larger 450 sized motors on this little guy is just going to weigh it down and lower your flight times. If you want 450 power, then go to a 450 heli! Maybe some after-market guys will come up with a better 300 sized motor, but I doublt it will be significantly better (or cheaper) than the curent one.
Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackin130x View Post
Even the 4200kv 440? With a higher tooth pinion...
It will work, will have more power than stock, but is not that ideal. Whats the weight on the 440 motor?

And you will still run into the balance and lower bearing issues that Eflite heli motors tend to have, not to mention the lower efficiency compared to the Wicked or Scorpion motor.
Dylwad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Really nothing wrong with the stock 300x 320H motor imho. If you want a little more pop, just go through the ar7200bx setup and increase the stock +/-12 deg collective pitch to +/-13 deg. Does not sound like much but the diff is very noticeable.

Puting larger 450 sized motors on this little guy is just going to weigh it down and lower your flight times. If you want 450 power, then go to a 450 heli! Maybe some after-market guys will come up with a better 300 sized motor, but I doublt it will be significantly better (or cheaper) than the curent one.
Cheers,
TomC
The 450 motor is not much bigger, its taller like 4mm, and about .5-1mm wider... I dont think its that much heavier... I dont think it would cause any ill effects.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
It will work, will have more power than stock, but is not that ideal. Whats the weight on the 440 motor?

And you will still run into the balance and lower bearing issues that Eflite heli motors tend to have, not to mention the lower efficiency compared to the Wicked or Scorpion motor.
Yeah thats true, if your gonna upgrade might as well upgrade to a nicer motor not just bigger.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Cheers,
TomC
I see a lot wrong with the stock motor, the power is good on a 10 tooth governed, but its hit or miss on the balance, no spare shafts are available, and you have to loctite the lower bearing to the shaft. Plus its expensive to be honest!

The Wicked 4800 is 14 grams heavier than stock (my 300X is tail heavy anyways, so Ill take the extra weight) Balance is excellent (its an EDF motor after all) it has bigger bearings, replacement shafts are available, probably 30% more copper fill, and costs LESS than the stock 320 motor!

Performance is excellent on a 9 and 10 tooth, both governed, and is a fair bit quieter than the stock motor. I wont be putting the stock motor back in except if I need some fresh data logs to show how much better the Wicked is Feels and sounds like a bigger heli with the 10 tooth governed to 3150 RPM.

Been fighting a tail blow out for the past few days, replaced the tail servo with the JR DS290G and that didnt help at all, it sounds like the tail blades are stalling during pitch pumps. Need to figure that out before I can do more testing.

Heres some comparison pics, Thats a whole lot more motor for the extra 14 grams, Don runs it at 40 amps on 4S for 560 watts!

Dylan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0013.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	358431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0015.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	358432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0016.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	358433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0017.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	358434  
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

That looks like a red version of the 440 motor, same bell size and magnets (just a fyi for anyone wondering). But like you said im sure it has better balance and bearings. How much do those cost?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dylan,

Hope this motor works out to be as good as you say.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Dylan,

Hope this motor works out to be as good as you say.

Cheers,
TomC
Dons Wicked motors have a long history of being awesome, they are well known in the 50-64mm EDF crowd and have been for years. I run a 6000KV in a foamy F-35 and it screams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in