Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #1141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 450 Pro build videos

Yes it's a pain--- but the bolt holding the two front servos on can mine removed to access the motor. I suggest you get the kbdd mount plate. Makes meshing the pinion and main gear a snap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #1142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi everybody,
I'll get mine tomorrow!
He will better for my garden
Cayam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #1143 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450 clone motoro question

Hello all,
I'm building a 450 clone and I'm struggling to figure out which motor and pinion to use. I have the following motors:
turnigy 2627-3800 - 2MM shaft
turnigy 2836-2350 - 4MM shaft

It looks like the standard 450 pro pinion is 12T, 3MM shaft. I'm having a hard time finding a 12T pinion that will fit the 2MM shaft of the 2627-3800.

The 2627-3800 cam with 2 pinion gears, but it looks like they have to be pressed on? They don't have set screws.

I found a 14T pinion that will fit the 4MM shaft of the 2836-2350. Will that work?

I have slanted and straight main gears, so I can use either type of pinion.

I'm not planning on doing any hi performance flying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
jfranklyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #1144 (permalink)
Registered Users

None of those is a 450 motor.
robbancs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1145 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbancs View Post
None of those is a 450 motor.
Yeah that's correct, none of the motors posted will fit properly and produce the right speeds.

You need one of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9257

Super nice... order the pinion gears from HobbyKing, it doesn't come with any. This is the motor used in this review - it's maybe a little more power than the Align motor from the 450 Pro Super Combo...
HK-450 Pro GT Demo (4 min 22 sec)
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #1146 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am building an EXI 450 clone. Can you tell me what are the correct servo center to ball center dimensions are for the CCMP and tail servo?
alanrw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #1147 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
I am building an EXI 450 clone. Can you tell me what are the correct servo center to ball center dimensions are for the CCMP and tail servo?
No, you have to set it up and measure that yourself. Every helicopter is a little different depending on which mechanics you have and which servos and arms you are using, so when specific lengths are given in the manual, that's only a ball-park number. You will have to find the correct lengths yourself.

That's not hard to do though. After you mount your tail servo and everything, just adjust the rod until the tail slider centers when the servo centers.

For the swash servos, you simply adjust until servos centered gives you a level swash and zero pitch. That's a little tricky if you adjust the top rods wrong though, so use the exact measurements for those. The nice thing about these new kits is 4 of the 6 head links are fixed, so there's only two to fiddle with.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #1148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Trex 450 Pro build videos

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm waiting for my order from hobbyking to arrive

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
jfranklyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine2501 View Post
No, you have to set it up and measure that yourself. Every helicopter is a little different depending on which mechanics you have and which servos and arms you are using, so when specific lengths are given in the manual, that's only a ball-park number. You will have to find the correct lengths yourself.

That's not hard to do though. After you mount your tail servo and everything, just adjust the rod until the tail slider centers when the servo centers.

For the swash servos, you simply adjust until servos centered gives you a level swash and zero pitch. That's a little tricky if you adjust the top rods wrong though, so use the exact measurements for those. The nice thing about these new kits is 4 of the 6 head links are fixed, so there's only two to fiddle with.
Well, I know Bob posted 8mm for the tail servo. I appreciated your reply but if you were setting up the CCPM, what dimension would you use?
alanrw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1150 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

13mm for flybar'd if I recall correctly. If you have too much pitch you are too far out and if you can't get enough pitch then you are too far in.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #1151 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Build: 450 Pro V2 stretch to 480

Hi All
This is my first heli build and I need some help please. I bought this Trex 450 Pro V2 from someone who partially disassembled it with the intention of stretching to 480. He lost interest and I got the heli with a ALZRC 480 tail boom and TT, as well as a pair of Lynx 350mm rotor blades.
The tail rotor is I believe a standard 450 Pro 55mm blade.
I completely disassembled the heli and meticulously re-built it following Finless Bob's video.
Everything seems to work fine except than:
1. When I spool the motor up to liftoff speed - the pod wants to lift off while the tail fin remains on the ground.
2. When it finally unsticks - the tail spins violently to the right at which point I immediately chop the throttle.
I am not knowledgable enough to sort my problems out by myself and would appreciate any help offered very much. This is my first flybar heli.

Thanks

Joshua
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5701.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	438018   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5702.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	438019   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5703.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	438020  
N99JH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #1152 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH View Post
Hi All
This is my first heli build and I need some help please. I bought this Trex 450 Pro V2 from someone who partially disassembled it with the intention of stretching to 480. He lost interest and I got the heli with a ALZRC 480 tail boom and TT, as well as a pair of Lynx 350mm rotor blades.
The tail rotor is I believe a standard 450 Pro 55mm blade.
I completely disassembled the heli and meticulously re-built it following Finless Bob's video.
Everything seems to work fine except than:
1. When I spool the motor up to liftoff speed - the pod wants to lift off while the tail fin remains on the ground.
2. When it finally unsticks - the tail spins violently to the right at which point I immediately chop the throttle.
I am not knowledgable enough to sort my problems out by myself and would appreciate any help offered very much. This is my first flybar heli.

Thanks

Joshua
1. Make sure your swashplate is level all the way when you increase the throttle. No sign of it tilt backward. Make sure there is no mixing in your Tx.
Is your heli CoG is correct? I assume, with longer tail, you will have tail heavy.

2. Make sure you are in HH mode, not Rate mode and there is enough gain. Make sure your tail servo and gyro direction set correctly. To check the servo, when you move the the rudder stick left, you will get less pitch on the tail. When you move the rudder stick to the right, there will be more pitch on tail blade.
To check the gyro direction, move the tail by hand to the left, the pitch slider should move to the right.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #1153 (permalink)
Registered Users

Obviously the tail is not setup correctly. What tail servo and gyro are you using?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #1154 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpilot View Post
Obviously the tail is not setup correctly. What tail servo and gyro are you using?

The Gyro is a Align GP 750 and tail servo is DS520.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #1155 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure where to post this but I need help with my first build

For the past three hours I've been trying to get the main gear on my 450.
All I've managed to do is mangle the gear to the point where ill likely need to order another gear set and mangle the threads on the tiny little bolt and nut. I have no idea where I'll get another bolt and nut.

But there has to be a easy way to get all the holes lined up and get the little bolt through the gears, bearings and main shaft. I just haven't discovered it yet.

All was going well until this point, now frustration level I extremely high. I leave on a trip Sunday and I really wanted this thing built before I go but at this rate it will be months.

Unless someone can give me some ideas about salvaging the main gear set ill loose a couple weeks between travel and waiting for new parts.

I'm wondering if I can simply shave of the mangled plastic where the little nut is supposed to sit in the gear. Then I might be able to get a nut driver on it. I certainly can't get to it with my fingers.

Anyway if anyone can offer up some suggestions I'd appreciate it.
DWill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #1156 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know where to get new bolt and nut in your area but in case they are still alright what I do is line the holes up without the main shaft in, then slide shaft in and push the screw in. Often the screw don't just go through because not perfectly lined up. Then I start screwing it in with a screwdriver and it goes through. The nut you don't have to ever get out. Just let it sit in its place. I hope it helps.
robbancs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #1157 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another build question; keep in mind I'm a noob and this my first build Al's my first Heli outside of Blade micros.

How tight do the main and tail rotors need to be. I'm sure they shouldn't flop but my guess is they do have to move. I just don't have any idea how much.
DWill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #1158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH View Post
The Gyro is a Align GP 750 and tail servo is DS520.
Thats a pretty good setup I ran the same for years. Did you get it setup correctly yet?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #1159 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpilot View Post
Thats a pretty good setup I ran the same for years. Did you get it setup correctly yet?

No, I did not. I am not sure what to do.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #1160 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The gyro has a correction software that if the tail moves the gyro will counter that to return it back to the proper heading. The direction it corrects is setup on the gyro and if it is backwards it will infinitely spin. It requires a gain value usually more than 50, I use 72 for Spektrum Gyro Sense, as it isn't 1:1.. This activates heading hold mode. Do you understand what I am talking about?

Maingear; You align the hole in the maingear sleeve by holding the bottom gear and turning the top gear. The sleeve will rotate until the holes match. After sliding in the mainshaft I use a small driver to line everything up. If you can't thread the screw through then it is likely you are using too large of a mainshaft spacer.

Blade tightness; The blade should have enough resistance to hold itself up if you lifted the helicopter sideways. But a small to moderate shake should move the blade. You should do your best to have them both at the same tension/resistance. I run my blades very tight, walking the line between too tight and no vibe/tracking issues but that is not necessary if you aren't pushing your heli for every inch of performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in