Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Trex 500 + Align 3G vs. Protos + VBar vs. Logo 500 + VBar?

I'm looking for something larger than my 450 PRO for next summer, and I'd like to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Yes, I know Logo 500 is a larger heli, it's good with 550 mm blades while Trex 500 and Protos are using 430 mm blades. Apparently all these helis work well with 6S batteries, which my current charging setup can handle. (Well, it can handle 7S and A123 as well.)

If cost was no concern, I'd go for Logo, but it's the most expensive to crash. I would probably be too concerned about crashing it.

Protos is lighter and more agile than Trex 500, but it looks like Align 3G is much simpler to set up than VBar? I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time setting up the flybarless, and given that none of my friends has flybarless yet, local help might be scarce.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my Protos vBar and wouldn't seriously consider a T500. It's a nice heli, but does not perform like a Protos. Installation and setup took me one night. Just download a vBar profile from the Protos forum sticky and you're almost there.

The Protos is a bargain for both the kit, fbl head conversion and spare parts. Later on you can build a 12s 600 and use the same battery system if you get the bigger heli itch.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would go with the Logo, and I'm not saying it just because I have one, because I owned a Protos and Trex 500 as well. The Protos isn't a bad heli by any means, but it does not fly like the Logo does. If you are trying to stay with the 500 size heli, which it looks like you are since you are looking at the Trex 500 and Protos, then why not try the Logo 400, which is actually the 500 sized heli. The Logo 500 is more of a 50 sized heli. Parts aren't bad for the Logo, you can actually get cheaper parts for the most part on Helidirect. If you definitely want to go FBL then you can't beat the Logo on the Vbar. The Logo on the Vbar flies amazing and you will never look back. The Logo has a very low parts count and is a easy build as well.

Me personally, I hated messing with the stupid belt system on the Protos, and if your going to go with the Protos, you have to get carbon, because the plastic on the Protos is very very weak and you will break frames on the slightest of crashes. The Trex 500 is a very good model and its not badly priced either. You get alot for what you pay for especially if you buy the ESP kit combos. I actually enjoyed the Trex 500 ESP more than the Protos. The Align 3G system with the FBL head isn't badly priced at all from what i've read, so it might be worth it to get it. All in all though, each of these models has good things and bad, even though I can't think of anything bad for the Logo. If price isn't that much of a concern, get the Logo and don't look back!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Of course eveyone has different opinions.. I'd suggest go a step further! The Outrage 550 FLB. Still on 6S lipos.. yet no a doggy 600E on 6s.

As long as a 600.. 550mm blades.. 1000g lighter... 1/2 the price to repair. Helidirect official dealer.

Please ignore the ugly colors! (although the stock canopy is nice)

Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is going to be my next one Slyster.
Liposition is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades345 View Post

Me personally, I hated messing with the stupid belt system on the Protos, and if your going to go with the Protos, you have to get carbon, because the plastic on the Protos is very very weak and you will break frames on the slightest of crashes.

Well all I can say to that, is that the belt drive system is the #1 BEST attribute of the Protos. I just replaced my first belt (which looked fine btw) after 250 flights. The single belt no gear mesh drive system is efficient, reduces weight, and makes the Protos the quietest heli you've ever flown. Sure if you build the heli poorly you could have a problem. But not a single owner in the Protos forum complains about any "design" issues with the belt.

Oh and the plastic frame is simply awesome. Sure if you put it in you can crack it. But it's easy to replace and only costs ~$17.

And while we're on this topic, Blades345 is commenting on a helicopter (his Logo500) which has a vBar. He never flew a Protos on vBar and thus has no real basis for comparison. I have not flown a Logo500, but I do see some at the field. It's a wonderfule machine. Just way more expensive to fly and crash.

Just my 2c from a long time Protos vBar owner.

Sly, the 550 looks hot. I came close to buying one of those, but really wanted to share battery systems between the Protos and a 600. 12s 2650 is a bit much for a 500mm heli. Plus I came across a screaming deal on my 600.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post

Well all I can say to that, is that the belt drive system is the #1 BEST attribute of the Protos. I just replaced my first belt (which looked fine btw) after 250 flights. The single belt no gear mesh drive system is efficient, reduces weight, and makes the Protos the quietest heli you've ever flown. Sure if you build the heli poorly you could have a problem. But not a single owner in the Protos forum complains about any "design" issues with the belt.

Oh and the plastic frame is simply awesome. Sure if you put it in you can crack it. But it's easy to replace and only costs ~$17.

And while we're on this topic, Blades345 is commenting on a helicopter (his Logo500) which has a vBar. He never flew a Protos on vBar and thus has no real basis for comparison. I have not flown a Logo500, but I do see some at the field. It's a wonderfule machine. Just way more expensive to fly and crash.

Just my 2c from a long time Protos vBar owner.

Sly, the 550 looks hot. I came close to buying one of those, but really wanted to share battery systems between the Protos and a 600. 12s 2650 is a bit much for a 500mm heli. Plus I came across a screaming deal on my 600.
I will admit the Protos is a very quiet heli, but I just didn't like dealing with the belt and trying to get it around the main gear and make sure its on all the pulleys. I had my belt come off a few times in flight and after thinking about it now, I believe it might have been the boom moving in on me causing the belt to loosen and come off. The plastic frames are cheap, but like I said, it doesn't take alot to break them which sucks if you crash. On the Snap is correct that I am comparing it to my Logo 500 which is FBL, but I did fly it flybarred at first and even then it flew great. I never did fly the Protos FBL and would actually like to try it. I am not against the Protos, I just have certain issues about it. I actually am very intrigued by the Protos 450 and can't wait to see it run. I don't know if i'll buy one since I have a Rave, but I definitely want to see it fly. I know On the Snap will buy one, so he better post some pics and videos when he gets it.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Of course eveyone has different opinions.. I'd suggest go a step further! The Outrage 550 FLB. Still on 6S lipos.. yet no a doggy 600E on 6s.

As long as a 600.. 550mm blades.. 1000g lighter... 1/2 the price to repair. Helidirect official dealer.

Please ignore the ugly colors! (although the stock canopy is nice)

Yes, Outrage 550 FBL is something I should seriously consider. I found your thread with lots of links about that https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...08&postcount=2
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are tons more here http://www.slyster.com/heli/550bible.htm
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Would it be possible to make Outrage 550 FBL by using, say, Align - FL760 Flybarless System With T-Rex 600 Flybarless Head? Would that head work?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Outrage makes their own FBL head... I'd guess the 3G would work..

http://www.helidirect.com/r50n575-ou...is-p-11264.hdx
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have never flown a protos but i had a t rex 500 logo 400-500 all with v bar, after i got my logo 400 i only used my rex when the 400 was crashed, thats how much better i found the logo over t rex.

if u thinking of a logo 500 think about that u probably will crash less as well. atleast i do and that should be counted in in the total price as well
clayboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
NTM
Registered Users

The logo 500 would be in no way comparable to the trex 500.
The trex 500 isn't even close in flight performance, and quality.
Of course you pay for that....

Regarding the align 3g system vs. the v-bar, the align 3g is running software algorithms from the early days of flybarless.
It's a simple pi gyro on elevator and aileron.
Booms up in fast forward flight, wobbly pirouettes in the wind, rolls aren't axial, porpoising when collective is changed during fast forward flight...these effects can be masked by a good pilot, but you'd have to work at it.
The v-bar is light years ahead in flight performance, and features.
NTM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I've pretty much made up my mind. I'll satisfy my FBL itch by converting my 450 PRO to FBL by using the Align head and controller. I'll use that to train new stuff, meaning I will crash it frequently, like I did last summer.

I'll also buy a Logo 500/600 flybarred. I just want a Logo!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now I actually spent my cash. I ended up buying a Trex 500 ESP that just appeared on fast-lad.co.uk: new frames, 500M motor and GP780 gyro all in one package. I'm upgrading that at once to Phoenix ICE ESC and Align 3G FBL.

My 450 PRO will remain flybarred, with the GP780 gyro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in