Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00 View Post
Yep, that was the problem on mine too. One of the good folks, Speaker, on a different thread that I posted on nailed it.

Many thanks and best wishes to all of you for offering your opinions, comments and help to a noob with a lot to learn!

This forum rocks!!
Yep, I never would have noticed this if you hadn't brought it up . How embarrassing. It's been about 10 years since I've flown helis and I'd forgotten my old Futaba 8UHP was setup this way too. In fact, on all 3 of my old helis I never had to actually do anything with the throttle and pitch curves in normal mode. I could get them setup the way I wanted for just general hovering and flying around with just the trims....

So I'm leaving the trims enabled on mine, at least until I start having to do more radical setups (and then I'll just use the idleups)...

LS
lucien is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Yep, I never would have noticed this if you hadn't brought it up . How embarrassing. It's been about 10 years since I've flown helis and I'd forgotten my old Futaba 8UHP was setup this way too. In fact, on all 3 of my old helis I never had to actually do anything with the throttle and pitch curves in normal mode. I could get them setup the way I wanted for just general hovering and flying around with just the trims....

So I'm leaving the trims enabled on mine, at least until I start having to do more radical setups (and then I'll just use the idleups)...

LS
Hey Man, don't be embarrassed! The Futaba tech told me he'd never heard of the symptoms and that I shouldn't even try to use the radio.

Thanks again for saving me and the guys I bought the radio from. Now none of us have to go through the hassle and expense of needlessly replacing it.

Also, no doubt I would have turned one of those knobs and experienced the "problem" on the replacement.

Best wishes,

John
jpooch00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #83 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good work folks

The biggest probs I had in the early days with Futaba radios were everything defaulted to GROUP mode and the trim levers / knobs enabled by default. THe strength of the Futaba trannies in being very customisable is also their weakness if you don't understand fully what is going on - and that takes a while to learn !!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
Good work folks

The biggest probs I had in the early days with Futaba radios were everything defaulted to GROUP mode and the trim levers / knobs enabled by default. THe strength of the Futaba trannies in being very customisable is also their weakness if you don't understand fully what is going on - and that takes a while to learn !!
Indeed, radio technology has advanced quite a bit since my last radio, my old trusty 8UHP. The 8FG is definitely more complicated, but I can already see it's going to be a lot more user-friendly once I learn my way around in the software.

Guess I'm old and crotchety with these newfangled spread-spectrum rigs with all this fancy software... But looks like it oughta get me up in the morning, cook me breakfast, clean the house and then feed me and put me back to bed at night once I learn how to use it!

LS
lucien is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Indeed, radio technology has advanced quite a bit since my last radio, my old trusty 8UHP. The 8FG is definitely more complicated, but I can already see it's going to be a lot more user-friendly once I learn my way around in the software.

Guess I'm old and crotchety with these newfangled spread-spectrum rigs with all this fancy software... But looks like it oughta get me up in the morning, cook me breakfast, clean the house and then feed me and put me back to bed at night once I learn how to use it!

LS
Tell me about it! The last radio I owned was a Kraft 4 channel. It had one switch - on & off. Pretty simple.

I love the versitility of the 8FG, and now that I'm getting used to it I really enjoy the challenge of getting it to do what I want it to.
jpooch00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Realy damn good job ... got mine today ...
ahibrahim2009 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys!

I'm thorn apart, can't decide between 8FG Super and Aurora 9... Always been a Futaba guy, but Aurora seems so nice... I was considering 10C, but no way of upgrading firmware etc., so it's definitely 8FG vs A9. I kinda don't like iPod style touchpad + Aurora has bigger screen... And touchscreen is really nice feature, Hitec receivers are also a bit cheaper. I like 8FG's design and quality, FASST is proven, but so is FHSS, I see lots of guys flying helis with A9 and all I can hear are good critics.
Not an easy decision...
robi1kenobi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #88 (permalink)
HF Support

If you use FUtaba gear such as gyros, govs or FBL then the 8FG is a no-brainer as it synchs up so well - if you use other brands then I guess either good
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've used both (own a 8FG and used for a while the A9 from a friend).

The feel of these radios in the hands is also totally different, being the 8FG very compact and the A9 much wider as the Spektrum radios. If possible I'd suggest you to keep both in your hands and see how they feel.

The panel on the A9 is nice (I love electronics gadgets and touch screens) but not as much I was expecting.

I've found programming the A9 more complex, and this coming from a totally different radio (mx16) so both were new to me.

The grips on the side of the A9 are a bit weak, once one gets out you can only glue it back.

I would suggest to go for the Futaba one, but that's my personal choice.

ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both DX8 and 8 and a 14 i returned the FG8 the DX8 is a better radio and easyier to us, I liked the FG but the screen is very poor quality and hard to read, forget it if its sunny out and you have sun glasses on, The 14 is a great radio but at $$$ its a bit spendy, The DX8 has telemetry and Futaba needs to catch up with there featurs for the money.
700le flagship v-bar, bls, sab,
jamming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have ordered Aurora, really don't like iPod style button and the price on Aurora is a bit lower. Hope I won't regret it
Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

I maidened a friend's T600 with his A9 this other day. I didn't like it overall. robot looks is not to my liking (this is not objective though). Gimbals feel nice but I still prefer the feel of the 8FG. Latency was definitely noticeable. It had telemetry which is more of a gadget to me (except for temp alarm maybe). Touchscreen is nice but now I'm used to the 8FG I can do everything really fast and with the custom menu it's perfect. I wouldn't change my radio for a A9 (or a DX8 for that matter). Switches on 8FG feel way better. It's lighter too.
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1kenobi View Post
I have ordered Aurora, really don't like iPod style button and the price on Aurora is a bit lower. Hope I won't regret it
I doubt you regret it. I have both and each is better at one thing or another but very equally matched IMHO. I might sell one but can't decide because I really like both of them.
blakevan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #94 (permalink)
pqr
Registered Users

Default Video 4 - Setting Gyro Gain on the CGY750 using the T8FG - wmv - 188MB

Have the videos got confused? I cannot load this one, page not found, and some of the others appear duplicates
Blade MSR
pqr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #95 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
Have the videos got confused? I cannot load this one, page not found, and some of the others appear duplicates
I've fixed the link - somehow got scrambled

This shows how to set the 3 gyro CG750 on the 8FG with an SBUS linked receiver - the prionciples are the same - if this is not what you are after please say and I'll shoot a vid on setting up a conventional linked single axis gyro
Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #96 (permalink)
pqr
Registered Users

Default Smashing - Tks VM

Great videos - really useful in deciding whether to buy, and to use once purchased

Thanks again
Blade MSR
pqr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There doesn't need to be a review for this Tx.

It says "Awesome" right on the box. Only thing is, they spell it "FUTABA".
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #98 (permalink)
HF Support

Added in video for beginners on how to setup a 120° eCCPM swash on the 8FG

Video - 8FG - Setting up the swash on a new heli - wmv 29MB
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1kenobi View Post
It's cheaper for a reason.
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, ofc it is cheaper for a reason, but so far - I like it a lot! I am a Futaba fan for a long time already, but this time - I was on a budget. I guess Aurora will do it's work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in