Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Quad'in

I'm thinking about picking up a MQX mini quadcopter from Horizon to mess with....just to fly and maybe stick a keychain cam on to get video. I know i can build my own quad..but would like to own a small one 1st and fly it and see if i like it 1st...anybody have one yet? Good? bad? fun? suck? lol!

TIA

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

While we are on the quad subject, does anyone have any experience with the Flamewheel 450 with the Naza controller from DJI? Just about everything I've read and seen about it has been good, especially as an AP and FPV platform, both of which I've begun to consider.
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a MQX mini quadcopter from Horizon to mess with....just to fly and maybe stick a keychain cam on to get video. I know i can build my own quad..but would like to own a small one 1st and fly it and see if i like it 1st...anybody have one yet? Good? bad? fun? suck? lol!

TIA

Dan
I've flown one of these, they are HEAPS of fun. Not to mention resilient.

I've thought about buying one a few times but can't justify taking money out of my 500 parts budget to do so.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
I've flown one of these, they are HEAPS of fun. Not to mention resilient.

I've thought about buying one a few times but can't justify taking money out of my 500 parts budget to do so.
ok..kinda what i was seeing people say....now to make the funds available
Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

dan head to the beltcp forum.you will a few who have built and own a quad... i love the beltcp forum, no one owns a beltcp but we still hang out there come to think of it the belt took me to were i am today.. rip beltcp
Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1.

Loadsa guys in the Belt CP forum building and flying quads.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

been trolling around to see what people have to say..after a ton of reviews and my heli evnet coming up i pulled the trigger on the MQX and ordered one..it should be here today...will get it bound tonight and hopefully out for a test flight in the next day or 2! we'll see what i think...i'll post a mini review of sorts when i have a few flights under my belt.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My brother and I built a Flamewheel F-450 last weekend. The build was easy and the software setup wasn't too bad. Things would have been even smoother if we'd realized earlier that you have to orient the Naza controller a certain way. BTW, this quad flies great! It is super stable and easy to fly. I liked it so much I ordered a hexa kit and controller from HK. I'll post some notes on that one when it comes in.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykintom View Post
My brother and I built a Flamewheel F-450 last weekend. The build was easy and the software setup wasn't too bad. Things would have been even smoother if we'd realized earlier that you have to orient the Naza controller a certain way. BTW, this quad flies great! It is super stable and easy to fly. I liked it so much I ordered a hexa kit and controller from HK. I'll post some notes on that one when it comes in.
do that if you can..i was looking at those today...

well i got mine bound..and in my living room..a few clicks of trim and it was hovering stable..so cool! I like this little bird...hopefully a decent test flight tomorrow...diggin it so far!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update to the F450 that we built. Got a call last night from my brother, "Guess what I lost?" He was in a small clearing among trees and had the quad straight up above the tree height when a gust of wind moved it out of his sight behind one of the trees. He hasn't seen it since! He wasn't sure of any failsafe settings on either the Naza or his rx, so he has no idea how far it may have gone. He is still looking, but isn't too hopeful at this point. He plans to buy another one if he can't find this one, and will add the GPS this time.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykintom View Post
Update to the F450 that we built. Got a call last night from my brother, "Guess what I lost?" He was in a small clearing among trees and had the quad straight up above the tree height when a gust of wind moved it out of his sight behind one of the trees. He hasn't seen it since! He wasn't sure of any failsafe settings on either the Naza or his rx, so he has no idea how far it may have gone. He is still looking, but isn't too hopeful at this point. He plans to buy another one if he can't find this one, and will add the GPS this time.
damm that sucks!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys...finally pulled the trigger on my 1st quad last week..and got it in this week. After looking around and deciding i wanted to be lazy and not build my own quad..or flash a board and deal with all i didn't know ot start...the Blade MQX seemed like a good choice. I have chargers for it..the batteries aren't expensive..small and transportable..and well...not very much $$! I wanted to try this 1st before i decided to branch out and build my own. All the reviews i heard on it were teriffic..tough and fun..and moddable to a certain degree...so i got mine on monday. Got it bound to my DX8 monday night and a short test flight indoors to check it out..and i liked it! So braved the heat yesterday and took it to work and flew it on my lunch break and video'd it...video could have been better...but came out ok...

so here is my 1st outdoor flight (after a quick hover and trim out before this)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMU17pknn-o[/ame]

I'm diggin this little guy! Fun and easy to fly as long as you have good throttle/turn management

Looking on other boards people have added/modified/changed the landing gear on theirs to provide more ground clearance and give a place to mount a camera... one of the mods i saw was to flip the battery tray and add a Gaui 200 landing gear set to it. With about 12 heli's in my fleet and tons of spare parts i looked around and saw what i had..and sitting in my parts bin was an original set of landing gear i took off my Honey Bee V2 like 2 years ago. It looked similar to the Gaui setup, so i started messing with it. The OP on the Gaui mod took off his battery tray..flipped it..and then screwed the gaui legs to the original board...what i didn't like about that was that if it hit hard you could crack the board...so i set the Quad on the top of the landing gear i had and tried to zip tie it to the legs...but the width of the top of the Bee gear wouldn't work..the quad kept sliding down one leg and then the original motor legs on the quad were sitting on the ground...so a no go on that...

then i looked at them upside down and said "why not?" the legs on the quad matched up well with the legs on the V2 gear..and with some more zip ties i had it! I cut the front of the leg tubes of the V2 gear to save some weight and trimmed it up. I then added a old training gear leg and ping pong ball to the front of the quad just wedged in to the lower motor legs and it was done! (for orientation purposes) Now it sits about 1/2 inch higher off the floor...the main battery mount still is intact and works...and i have a place now to make a mount for a keychain cam. I didn't weigh the pieces i added but they are very light..maybe 1oz at most...the quad still hovers well at only half throttle so it isn't straining to lift this at all. I may flip one of the braces around tonight ot ge ta wider stance on the gear..but even this way it is flat and stable and works well...

Here are some pics after the conversion...

so there you have it! I'm going to fly this a bunch this weekend at a Heli event i'm going to..so will have more video of it.

So far i've very happy with it and having fun! Great quad to buy if you want one with no hassle to get flying....

Dan
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love it!
Looks like a lot of fun Dan.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldladypilot View Post
I love it!
Looks like a lot of fun Dan.
thanks! fun so far! gonna wring it out tomorrow at the heli event...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in