Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System > Align 3GX FBL System

Align 3GX FBL System Align 3GX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #61 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep.. The Gpro is looking good. The faster processor is what has my attention. These flight algorithms are extremely complex and only getting more and more complicated.

I can sometimes feel the old 3GX get caught up in the moment and sort of stop thinking for a second. Like it doesn't know what to do.

Any computer with a faster processor is a better computer.
000pitch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish I was getting those flight characteristics on my 450L, 000pitch. I'm not sure if I have a mechanical issue or flybarless issue. As I stated in another thread of mine, I'm getting weird cyclic drifts.

The thing stays were I put it when first taking off. I do a few piro's and all of a sudden it wants to tilt about some arbitrary axis (only created by elevator and aileron rotation axes, rudder is fine). It's so weird because once it starts rotating, the rotation axis is mostly fixed in space, not tied to the orientation of the heli. I.e. If it's rotating to the right with tail near me (clockwise rotation), doing a 180 piro has the heli still doing a clockwise rotation - but as far as the heli goes, the rotation changes direction.

So odd... I've been steadily increasing gyro gains and haven't seen improvement yet. Now at about 151 on both aileron and elevator in software.
Sefrez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok that is good to note. I had my first 6 flights with V5.0 and the new bec installed and on third flight I had the heli drifting quite badly to the left half way through flight . I almost ditched it but was able to get it back down safely. The swash was leaning over to the left so much I thought a servo was locking up.

I fiddled with the sticks all looked good and took off again and it was ok for rest of flight and remainder if packs.

This was with gains about 130.

For sure this v5.0 you can feel it wanting to take over sometimes in good way and sometimes when I don't want it to...

Piro kick back on stops is now fixed but get a bit of rotation on hard fast climb out.... Tbc.

[Trex 600N, V-Bar] [Trex 450ProV2, 3Gx] [Trex 470LM Microbeast Plus]
squibcakes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #64 (permalink)

In both the drifting scenarios.. I'd check the swash level (with the tool), servos 90, cyclic linkage all equal lengths. Check for vibrations of course.

And then start turning the ELE and AIL gains up. There isn't an ideal number. You turn it up until it starts to oscillate, then back it down a few digits in the software.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know for sure my swash is level.

I guess ill turn up the gains until the heli shakes... But don't you have your gains at max (so no shaking...)?

[Trex 600N, V-Bar] [Trex 450ProV2, 3Gx] [Trex 470LM Microbeast Plus]
squibcakes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a similar incident to squibcakes yesterday . . . flying a "500X" with 3GX v5. Was tuning it in and just getting happy with it on the second battery (after multiple takeoffs and landings with adjustments). All of a sudden after doing a few simple circuits, the heli pitches right. I was able to control it somewhat and landed it hard (enough to break the skids). Blades touched but no other damage luckily.

On the ground no flashing lights or abnormal indications on the 3GX, receiver, sat or esc. The left (pitch) servo arm was not level at mid stick, but up about 1/4" which makes sense why it wanted to tip right. I powered down moved the servo around. Didn't feel stripped. Powered back up and everything was normal (swash was level) after the 3GX initialized. Didn't fly at all after that. Need to try something concrete before I get the confidence to put it in the air again.

Very strange. My inclination/suspicion is that it could be vibe related. Never lost total control at any time. Heli just decided to roll. The heli is not super smooth but I've flown with worse vibes for sure. Otherwise no idea what to look for. Any input appreciated. Thanks, dja2424
dja2424 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #67 (permalink)

Whenever an FBL unit randomly cyclic dumps... its vibrations. Believe it or not guys, the BeastX does it too. It is possible the 3GX is the most sensitive to vibrations though. Which makes crashing a very troublesome experience. Vibrations can make it drift off on its own... and as they intensify, they can make the unit just cyclic roll and dump into the concrete. When the 3GX rolls or drifts and annoys me, I replace the entire drive system. Bearings, gears, shafts... and it always works perfect again. You can't expect to just dust off a helicopter and put new blades on after a crash. Cyclic rolls right are often the torque tube or the transmission gears. The umbrella gears (black ones too) distort very easily. Once they lose centricity, they wobble ever so slightly. Add high rpms... and they are highly vibrational... Likely right beneath the 3GX as well.

I took the 450L on 5.0 out again today, except this time at max headspeed. After getting it dialed in and tuned for my taste, I can say whole heartedly that 5.0 is the best version by far and away! Honestly had the best day flying ever today. When you turn the headspeed up, it really seems to come alive. The collective is no longer mushy and overdampened.. its just smoother. The blades will still bark, you just have better control.

What is truly remarkable is that the 3GX has certain limits now. When you hammer it backwards full speed and then go to flip as hard as you can- the computer will actually limit how hard it flips. So as not to disturb the blades, bog down the motor and throw off the gyroscopes. Its scary how fun it is to fly. Pushing it to the limit with a safety net. Like traction control on motorcycles.

The tail is the same way.. If you really load up some big speed and piro flip super hard- the tail will only move as fast as the computer allows it. You know when you really over do it and the motor bogs down because you pushed the limits of the physics? It cuts you off right before that point.

OMG, I've been doing so many more tricks from the simulator already just from the confidence. Flying my packs down to 3.70 because I'm having too much fun. I'll make some videos. This thing is Psyyyyyyyycho. Align, respect for continuing to develop the 3GX and not giving up.

Last edited by 000pitch; 07-16-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I few five flights today. I have increased my gains till wobble and backed off slightly (both at 180). After flying in the light wind today and essentially no wind tonight, I feel confident in saying the rolling is not caused by the wind. Only, the wind made for a harder diagnosis of what actually was happening.

It seems the roll is actually tied to the heli, not the space I'm flying in. This is good because now a setup issue with the servo's / swash is a possible cause - not the 3GX being smart / dumb picking an arbitrary roll axis in space.

Still, I am 99.9% sure the swash being out at mid stick is not the issue. I have checked that it is level in many different ways.

I think I may have found the problem though, subtrim. None of my servo arms fit that well with zero subtrim. I had +18 sub trim on the pitch servo and I was getting right aileron roll. To see if it was plausible that this was causing it, I removed the servo arm and place it back one tick the other way and adjust the sub trim to level the swash again. The new subtrim was -20. Of course after that I reprogrammed the 3GX neutral points and elevator / aileron endpoints by going through the settings list of the 3GX gyro bypass mode.

Going back out for a few more flights, the roll was consistently reversed.

I know the pitch servo I had before (that failed) needed less subtrim, about 5 to 8.

I'm thinking about buying some servo arms and trying to get a better fit. Though, I could buy a couple sets and they are all the same.

I assume these are the ones for DS416M/DS430M?
http://www.helidirect.com/align-ds4-...ro-p-13651.hdx
Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #69 (permalink)

Heres my 450L on Version 5.0
Its got 60 hours on the flight timer so these batteries are very old and weak.
[ame]http://youtu.be/KrkeJq7_bgA[/ame]
Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question, did you do the subtrim adjust while in the setup mode? Adjusting subtrim at any other time will cause the 3GX to see it as a roll command.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #71 (permalink)

Well I kept flying, tuning and adjusting... Turned the FCC down to 23. Balanced the blades, leveled the swash, turned up the AlL gain pot more.

Got it locked and feeling so good.

After experiencing a revelation in this hobby on 5.0, I'm going to go out on a very short limb, and say 3GX 5.0 could set a new standard for ALL 3 axis gyros.

Its hard to describe how good it can get. I swear you basically can't crash it on 5.0
It makes your skill level go wayyy up.

Guys, don't judge 5.0 by hovering in your driveway.. You have to get it up in the air and let it rip to really feel what it can do.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

....an incredibly short limb.....
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #73 (permalink)

A short limb would be more safe to go out on... because it would not break as easily as a long one. You do realize that right?

I think your sarcasm backfired on you there.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ever tried standing on a limb that wasn't there.........?
So no, it was you that misinterpreted my sarcasm.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Question, did you do the subtrim adjust while in the setup mode? Adjusting subtrim at any other time will cause the 3GX to see it as a roll command.
Yes, subtrims added in setup mode.

I learn something new about this odd behavior everyday. Today instead of fighting the tilt constantly, I just let it go for a bit.

What will happen is the heli will begin tilting, say to the right, and begin drifting. If I try to correct the tilt, it will just fight back. If I don't correct it, it will continue drifting for a bit, AND THEN the 3gx will correct for the tilt and begin having the heli drift the other way. It basically arc's across as if being held by a string and ticking back and forth.

So, the tilt does change, but "has a mind of its own."
Old 07-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
Ever tried standing on a limb that wasn't there.........?
So no, it was you that misinterpreted my sarcasm.
Took you 24 minutes to figure out how to justify that one. You didn't know what the saying meant and still don't. I'll help you out.

The analogy, is that the bigger the statement... the further you go out on the limb and risk it breaking and falling. I risk saying this brazen statement as I risk falling from this tree high up- bolder the statement/ longer the branch- is the concept. So if I went out on a very short limb that wasn't even there (as you stated)... either I didn't say anything.. or I didn't say anything bold or brazen.

I stated I went out on a short limb... thereby implying I was confident and sure. You sarcastically replied the limb was shorter- thereby further supporting my own initial statement. Thus counter productive to your sarcasm and failing its purpose and impact.

So as you freely admit to being sarcastic.. you did not know what you were talking about in either attempts at sarcasm. For your sarcasm to have been correct and made analytical sense.. you would need to say... "oh.. god.. you went out on the longest limb in the history of limbs... I can hear it bending and creaking and cracking.... goodness."
Do you understand now?

You're welcome to say it to me again, correctly this time though. I will make my best effort to let it burn.

Last edited by 000pitch; 07-17-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're timing people on their responses now......really??
Like I was hanging on your every post waiting to reply.......

However, I am well aware of what the statement means and if you can't read between the lines and understand what I was jokingly trying to say... then, well I'm sorry for you.

But thank you for taking the time to post on the meaning of this analogy. I hope it makes you feel better as it comes across as though you're trying to prove something to yourself, rather than for someone else, with a rant we've just heard.

Looking at a few of your posts though, this doesn't surprise me. Anyone that shows even a slight difference of opinion, you're very quick to throw your toys out of the cot and start arguing.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #78 (permalink)

Why are you laughing... Did you not just timely respond?

I do feel better yes thank you. Trolling for an argument with foolish and unwitting sarcasm. I prefer my sarcasm with a touch of reality and wit.

Your welcome to backread all my posts. You will find more information based statements than sarcasm. I do respond to sarcasm and passive aggression. No doubt. Just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

In the context of this "confrontation"... my thread is about helping others with their 450. What is the point of your posts?

I'll set my timer... Or you know.. you can just read the time the other person wrote the post. That information is contained in the blue bar at the head of the post. You sure are learning though. Let me put one of those laughing on the floor icons to replicate your maturity. Look back in all my posts.. you wont find any of those childish and trolling icons.

You freely admit to coming into this thread with sarcasm. And I'm the one to blame?
You're welcome to say grace- you've just been served.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000pitch View Post
Just a squirrel trying to get a nut.
Truer words were never spoken. Thats the most sense you've made, 000pitch.
.....or whatever other names you've been using....

End of conversation for me. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #80 (permalink)

No problem. I'll just assume that you know what that saying means. In which the manner you have described it, as being true and making sense... I have my doubts.

If you consider that a conversation- so be it. But it surely wasn't about helicopters or your knowledge thereof. Think about that next time you troll around your sarcasm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in