Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thing is, I dont have the actually simulator. A friend of mine gave me his disc, but couldnt find the adapter cable. So rather than blow another $130 on a sim, I figured the simstick was the next best option.
m5burndt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm surprised no one has said this, I would recommend the Mqx for a cp trainer. A quad will be more durable and have longer flight times too. I wish I had just skipped coaxials and 4ch stuff and went went straight to my QR Ladybird. They made me learn things I had to unlearn when I started flying cp (like the "taking your hands off the controls brings it back to a stable hover"). But a quad flies exactly like a cp heli, as far as orientations and slightly banked turns. Once you have your orientations down and can fly the Mqx around your living room, you will will have no problem not crashing a bigger cp heli in basic flight.
flint723 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The package came today! Trex 450 PRO v2 FBL. I have been assembling for the past 2 hrs and i'm still nowhere close. I guess its good to learn how its all put together.

Before I open up the factory sealed box containing the 3GX module. I was wondering if there are any better FBL systems that people would normally upgrade to from the 3GX. It seems like I've seen a lot on this forum (in sizes other than the 450 too) about people who have switched to a BeastX and others.
What are the differences between these systems?
Is there anything particularly "bad" about the 3GX module that makes people want to switch?
m5burndt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5burndt View Post
I think I know the answer, but is getting a sim prior to flying heli totally necessary?
And what simulators do you recommend, Phoenix? Also, Are the simulators intended to be used with your RC transmitter or do you have to buy a USB transmitter?

About the radio, why would i need more than 6ch? What are all the extra channels used for? Actually, what are any of the channels used for? (other than the 4: throttle,rudder, aileron, elevator)

Sorry to be a noob, but I want to make sure I've got this straight before I drop $400 in a transmitter.

Thanks guys
getting a sim prior to flying heli IS totally necessary
it pounds the intentions to stick movements in to your head
it can keep you from throttling up when mean cyclic forward
you can also gain a good understanding of the orientations

simulators do you recommend
ANY
get a sim controller there cheap save batteries and wear and tare on your transmitter
you can't learn to fly on a sim BUT you can learn NOT to make the worst noob mistakes

the 2 extra are main blade pitch and gyro

stabilizers , autopilots , lights , paint ball droppers and retractable landing gear can use other channels
get a RTF 6ch helicopter use the one that comes with it

$400.00 can get you a helicopter you will ware out before you out grow it
think about a micro that you can fly indoors or outdoors this way you can fly all year round
even if it is just hovering or slow circuits
rob.rice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your question on FBL units other than the 3GX is really a thread of its own. Right now I would say the top two are the Vbar (full size and Mini) and the BeastX/AR7200. For the Vbar, you will spend nearly as much as as you have for the rest of the Heli, and the AR 7200 is around $200 (I'm not positive on that as I haven't really run that)

Both are supposed to be more flyable than the 3GX, but I have set up two of them and had no real problems. It's all in how you take your time and get things set up properly. I did have an unexplained ground tip over on a T500 with the old 3G, but no ill movements on the 3GX. I took it off my 500 and put on a mini Vbar, but am considering going back to the 3GX.

The Skookum SK540 I think is getting some good press. I have a SK720 that I have been running on my other 500, and it flies fine. So I would recommend going to the various webboards and just reading about others experiences.

I don't know what type computer you have but for sims, I like the Phoenix. Both real flight and Phoenix will let you use your own transmitter so you can fly the sim with the same box you fly your heli.

Hope this helps. BTW, I know it's a little late, but my recommendation for a first heli would have been the Trex 500, non DFC and the sim. I have a lot of fixed wing planker experience, but goin heli was not as easy as I thought. Been doin the helis for about 2.5 years now, and am finally feeling like I do with planks - I feel I have a good chance on bringing my birds back home the same as they went out. I've had 2 crashes in the 2.5 years, both due to dumb thumbs. Knock on wood - no mechanicals yet, but I do really take care in the build and setup.

Good Luck

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in