Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Tell me about the XG14E...what you like and what you don't like

For those who own and use a XG14E, I would like to hear your experiences with this radio. I'm currently looking for a new radio and it seems to be a very good choice for the price and I really like the looks of it too. It also supports telemetry and the RX are comparable in price to the Futabas. I've been using a Futaba 10CHG and want to try a JR. After seeing the 28X I believe JR is really serious about introducing innovative new products to the market so I think it's time to give them my business.

TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have probably the only JR XG14E in the USA. I love it. You can only use it as a tray radio with the hand rests and dual neck strap attachments. There is a German tray for this radio.

It is just like a standard XG14 as far as s/w goes.

The only modification I have made is balancers: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=638224
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I will be using it as a regular handheld radio initially. I've seen videos of people using it that way without any problems.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not recommended. There is a You Tube video of a Japanese guy cussing the XG14E the entire time he is flying it hand held.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly thumbs only so it should be ok.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
I fly thumbs only so it should be ok.
I don't want to be rude or something, but why not get a XG14 of your thumbs only?
JR XG14 PL8 v2
mverhorst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well if TheKingFisher can palm a basket ball, he may can use this as a thumber. Otherwise he will be rudely surprised by the size of the XG14E.

JR PROPO XG14E & DLG (1 min 20 sec)

The derisive laughter is about holding the transmitter.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mverhorst View Post
I don't want to be rude or something, but why not get a XG14 of your thumbs only?
The XG14 is very "Transformers" ugly so there's no way I'm gonna spend good money to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
Well if TheKingFisher can palm a basket ball, he may can use this as a thumber. Otherwise he will be rudely surprised by the size of the XG14E.

JR PROPO XG14E & DLG - YouTube

The derisive laughter is about holding the transmitter.
Looking at the way he's holding it..it's no wonder he's bitching. He's trying to use the pinch method with that radio without the palm rests. Anyway I'll take my chances and will adapt as necessary.

If all else fails I'll add the palm rests but still fly with thumbs only kinda like on arcade machines where you rest your palm on the base of the joystick.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well go for it. Have you looked at the price difference ?

The sticks use the standard M4 JR thread so any of their stick tips will fit. Esprit also has a bunch of M4 stick ends: http://www.espritmodel.com/search.as...d=M4+stick+end
Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tips, yeah I think getting shorter sticks may be very useful.

I think the optional toggle switches for the tips of the sticks are a very cool feature...too bad I don't fly using the pinch method so can't install them.

Oh and yeah I've looked at the price difference...it's not that much. I'm gonna be getting mine from JR Americas for $850 free shipping no tax. That is the full radio package with case, receiver and telemetry module.

Last edited by TheKingPhisher; 09-16-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the stick tip switches. I have gotten used to them but they are not really that much of an advantage.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
The XG14 is very "Transformers" ugly so there's no way I'm gonna spend good money to buy one.

I feel the same way about the looks, hideous face on it. But if the gimbals are proper then its worth it ! I have a dx9 and had a dx6 before it. Love the spektrum interface and the small clean satellite method but my gosh they feel like craaaaaap in your hands especially the collective pitch gimbal you just can't get a nice feel out of them.
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The XG14 sticks are the best that I have ever had in 45 years. They are excellent and better by far than the 12Z that I had. Sort of like Proline Competition.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Early Christmas this year...

Surprisingly my smallish hands don't have too much of a problem thumbing on this radio...however I do need to find shorter sticks to make holding the radio feel more natural in my hands. Right now it's a slight stretch for my thumbs but not too bad. Anyway the radio is surprisingly light which is a good thing...it means I don't need a neck strap for long sessions. First impression so far is fantastic and thanks to JR Americas for the nice price!

Last edited by TheKingPhisher; 11-15-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

JR sells a short and long "stick shaft" : http://jrpropo.co.jp/english/product...=pro&button=GO - number 6118 and 6119.

And there are a variety of things to put on the end. Also many aftermarket things. JR uses M4 threads !

I thought that I had the only XG14E in the USA. Len Sabato "imported" mine as well. I fly with the whole shoulder harness and wings kit. ( I use a Jeti shoulder harness ! )

I have really enjoyed mine for about a year now. Wait for the new RG712BX receiver due soon. No more satellites.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

So you and I are the only two people in the US to have this gem?

Also interesting that you mention Len Sabato! I actually bought my first hobby grade RC heli kit (Align T REX 500) from Advantage Hobby along with servos, batteries, gyro and Futaba radio from there years ago!

Anyway thanks for all of your help and insight about this radio. It's been very helpful especially the information regarding the shorter sticks.

BTW the RG712BX is available from RC Japan. I'll be ordering a few of them for my upcoming builds.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Presumably hand held since it does not have the wings:

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/new...ts.php?no=2924
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The XG14E is not as unwieldy as one would expect. I was very surprised when I held the radio and was able to thumb the sticks. Anyway these are the stick ends I ordered along with the shorter shafts. I didn't order them from JRA since the price is so inflated there.

http://www.jramericas.com/103744/JRPA144/?pcat=333
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I hope all of the parts work together. You also have the long sticks and short ends to try. There are many sizes to select from plus the flower petal thingy.

I assume that the plastic panel in the center is for some kind of update not yet seen. Maybe Robbe like sliders ?

What are the exact inside dimensions of your TX case ?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I put the short JR stick ends on and yes nice improvement. Also got some JR silicone switch boots installed.

Now for the sad part....I received the shorter sticks but am afraid to pull out the stock sticks because I don't want to damage the gimbal yokes....

I'm not even sure the splines will fit in the yokes since the shaft looks like it's smaller in diameter? Does anyone know if the XG14 uses the same yokes as the XG14E? The part listed doesn't mention XG14E it only mentions XG14.

Last edited by TheKingPhisher; 12-21-2014 at 03:20 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in