Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Little progress to report lately.
After mounting everything I had to increase the stand off height for the top plate to clear the 91q.
Was going to make some new ones, but thought better of it. For those that have never attempted tapping a 2mm thread, it sucks!
So, instead, for those that remember the tt mod I did on my 450 a couple years back I had to make some spacers. I no longer use the tt but I kept the spacers and they are perfect!
Problem solved, effort nominal.

After that, I had everything hooked up. The pin out on the 91q shows you need to remove the red wire from esc's 2, 3 & 4. They only want voltage comming in from esc 1.

Interface Pin Panel Connection:
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
GND Null
* P1 P2 GND Power TX0 RX0 I

ESC4 ESC3 ESC2 ESC1 GND Power TX1 RX1
II

Null
* Null* Null*

Power
Input
Rx free
channel
(Switch
1)
Rx Rud
(Ch 4)
Rx Throttle
(Ch 3)
Rx Ele
(Ch 2)
III

GND GND GND GND GND Power
Rx AIL
(Ch 1)
No Pin
IV

Null* : Do not connect anything on these pins (leave open).

So, that done, reviewed everything repeatedly, it was time to familiarize myself with Futaba, again.

Been about 20 years since my last Futaba radio, so I was quite disappointed on how difficult they make their manual. Some things never change. Gave up trying to decypher it and just played with it until I understood how they do things, though I'm sure there will be a few curves thrown in later. Oh joy.
Other than that, the programmability is amazing! You can even add your name to the home screen. Nice little feature.
Not running the s-buss reciever. no need yet. So had to figure out how come I couldn't bind. Took about a couple minutes without opening the damn book!

Now, binding is easy. Just push a button on the reciever for 2 seconds and wait for it to go green. So, why don't my motors spin up?
Checking the manual for the 91q, which I read thoroughly before hand I'll have you know, thinking I missed something, discovered I didn't, it warned me in the book that I might need to calibrate the controller if the motors didn't spin up. Really nice manual.

Next up, calibrate the 91q, the compass and the gps, then test flight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Played with the wiring last night, late. Got it now in it's final configuration.

Video transmitter, mounted as far away as I could get it from the 2.4ghz Futaba reciever.
Video transmitter is 5.8ghx at 200mhz of power. Should match the range of the Futaba reciever just fine.

Futaba reciever mounted out-ward on the opposite leg than the video reciever.

Compass unit, mounted on bottom next to camera pan and tilt system. Esc's all mounted internally on the legs.
Camera is only 420 lines, not the best deffinition. However, tests under the goggels hasn't shown any bad effects. Only time will tell.
I am, though, planning to upgrade the camera.
I was looking at a higher line ntsc ccd camera, they really aren't very expensive. However, they now have software, cabling and modified case for the GoPro Hero2 camera so that live feed is now possible. Think I'll eventually go down that route.

Top main plate is home to the fy91q controller on one side, battery on the other. This works out exceptionally well as the very top equipment plate that houses the gps unit out in the open uninterfered with also locks down the battery in place.
I just velcro down the battery and slightly roll it under the plate. I can pick the quad up by the battery and violently shake the quad without ever even slightly loostening the barrery from the velcro.

Yesterday, I mentioned calibrating the fy91q controller. This is simple. Plug in a jumper, apply power for 20 seconds, then disconnect and remove the jumper.

Up next is to assign the channels in the Futaba for the functions I need, calibrate the compass and gps units, and test fly! Hopefully, this weekend, weather and work willing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB140001.jpg
Views:	1773
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	266886   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB140002.jpg
Views:	1748
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	266887   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB140003.jpg
Views:	1991
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	266888   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB140004.jpg
Views:	1870
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	266889  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a few issues, and no time to figure it out. only had 3 motors starting up.

Went to the 'other' forum. They have plenty of info on the fy91q controller. One guy made out a very nice spread sheet of the problems he encountered with his. Read it and made a copy.

My problem was motor calibration. Following his recommendations I removed the green wire from the Futaba reciever and individually calibrated the esc's thru the reciever. As I completed each one I took an exacto knife and etched onto the connector what motor it was for future reference.
Plugged in everything and viola, everything worked! Motors all start up at the same time and stop at the same time.
Holding by hand, I started up and confirmed correct stick movements. It all was good, better than good, actually. I felt like I could just let go and fly right there over my bench. Of course, I didn't. But, I'm getting excited. It felt so stable holding it, unlike the gu344 I took off.

Next up will be to figure out the channel assignments on the t8fg, get the 3 flight modes working, then to set the neutral point for the controller.
What this does is to trim out the 330x in hover for a stable, or 'neutral' point. On boom mounted motors, this is accomplished by twisting the booms off-setting the motors to neutralize yaw. As the 330x is a fixed motor mount, I'll have to see how it behaves and figure it out from there.
Regardless, it is an absolutely essential step for the fy91q.
After that, it's a pretty simple step to calibrate the compass and gps units.

So far, the fy91q is impressing me. I have pretty extensive fbl experience on several controlers and so far this unit is impressing me, at least as far as set up goes for a mid-range controller.

Now if the wind will just go away! 6 days of high winds and no end in sight yet.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great looking job Tom. If it will fly already, I don't know how you can resist. I couldn't! Can't wait to hear how the head tracking system pans out, no pun intended.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't sound like much, I know, but it was a huge step in the right direction at least today.

Got the 3 flight modes to work on the t8fg transmitter.
It operates off of a 3 position switch. Mode 1 is hover mode, mode 2 is stabilized flight mode or what we would refer to as normal, and mode 3 is return to home mode.

The t8fg is a strange beast. First I had to find which switch it was actually on, there's a lot of switches and damn near all of them are 3 way, nice. It was located on the right side, but I didn't like that. I wanted to use the idle up switch so I didn't have to 'think' what switch it was on. Then I had to figure out how to transfer the function over to that switch.
Lots of abbreviations on the selection menu so I actually had to crack open the book. The Futaba manual isn't exactly the best. Sure it lists the switches and and such, but doesn't really 'tell you' ( ) what they really do and stuff. I figured it out though.

So now when I want to change flight modes I can just flip the idle up switch, full back =hover, middle = stabilized, full forward = come on home baby!

Still have to figure out how to link the head tracking to the Futaba. They have nothing on that in the manual, a shame really as damn near every manufacturer of fpv is geared to Futaba.
Asked on several forums here, including the Futaba 2.4ghz forum but nobody has responded. Don't really need it as of yet and will be the very last thing I do really. I have a feeling it has something to do with the 'virtual channel selections, but I'm just guessing.
The main thing was I was able to remove the camera from following the throttle. That was wierd, as when I increased the throttle the camera would rotate and pan down. Now It sits locked where I need it, but no pan and tilt.

Also, I confirmed that the compass is active along with the gps. That's good. The gps will lock onto 5 signals it needs if I get close to a window, so I didn't even have to leave my chair! Got to like that.

Wind finally dying down some. Hopefully tomorrow I can do the neutral ( trim ) flight and set it. The fy91q has to know this or you risk crashing it.

Went to another building last night at work for a meeting, stepped on the edge of the sidewalk and dropped like I got shot! Wrenched my repaired knee pretty good, so I'm home trying to reduce the swelling. Really pinched my hamstring so walking right now is a bitch. Minor set back.
So, I'm home learning how to play my new 'Need for Speed, the Run' game! Too cool.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tom, on 8fg I'd use two sliders under the forefingers to pan and tilt the camera. You'll need 2 channels for that alone and you have used a 7ch Rx, is that enough?

Can't help you much with programming, sold my 8fg few months ago and bought a backup dx8. Bottom line is that 8fg is a very flexible radio, you can program damn near anything, but nothing is intuitive , it's actually PITA to program...
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd love to use the head tracker built into my AIO goggles. The cable from the goggles goes to the 4-pin trainer port. After that,,,

You got the pita right!

Yeah, 7 channels for now. Only other thing going on the 330x is the osd, and maybe not then. I might end up with a larger airframe more capable of handling the weight.
I have no idea what she weighs now, my scale doesn't go up that high, but I'm sure it can handle what I have on there just fine. Compass weighs the most! Not much weight at all in everything else.

I was looking for a video I saw where this guy had his 330x up to 3400 feet above ground level, but now, of course, I can't find it.

What next for your fpv, you might ask? Well, been thinking about that latey, doing my cub up. Been sitting around over 5 years just waiting for me to get back to it.
I ended up wrecking it when the rudder blew off! I never left the linkage so it was flopping around back there causing mayhem. I tried my damdest, but when it went into a spin I realized I wasn't going to recover from that. I put it into a flat spin all the way to the ground.
She has a 50cc gas engine. I figure I can throw in an easy 1/2 gallon.

Yes, that's the Belt forum on my computer screen,,, and no, I haven't put the crutches away yet,,,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB160006.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	267387  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a day at the field.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	267389  
Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another cool vid!

[ame]http://vimeo.com/28558521[/ame]
Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Come on Tom, progress report please. It's nearly weekend and I'm expecting a flight report from you before it's over!

And we'll have none of this rubbish about you've too busy playing video games.

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, there, Sut, we're still in the high wind thing here. 15 days now and running!
Good news is it blows away all the pollution, bad news the positive ions it generates is starting to make me climb the walls!

I'm ready to do a test flight, then set the neutral point in the controller, then it's time to go under the goggles. But I need a windless day for the neutral set point flight.

Damn, just looked at the weather report, no end in sight for the weekend. Can only hope indian summer breaks somethime soon!

Some friends and I are showing up at my buddys place where I fly tomorrow to eliminate his pigeon problem with the shotguns. I'll take it along and afterward close the barn doors and do the neutral point flight in there, if there's anything left of his barn when we are done.

Wind right now hitting 40mph in the gusts!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Possible upgrade,,,,

,,, when I get the new GoPro camera. 1080p for an fpv system, you bet! The new camera comes ready for fpv with a lightened case, no modding necessary.

Couple that with a long range radio upgrade, 6 motors to pick everything up,,,,

Goes on the list.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Played with the wiring last night, late. Got it now in it's final configuration.

Video transmitter, mounted as far away as I could get it from the 2.4ghz Futaba reciever.
Video transmitter is 5.8ghx at 200mhz of poweShould match the range of the Futaba reciever just fine.
Whilst you'll get close to a mile with the Futaba system, a 5.8Ghz 200mW with those antennas won't get close. You may get a couple of hundred feet, particularly with the antenna mounted like that. What antennas are you using for your VRx? If you want to increase range, check out the circularly polarised antennas, the SPW and cloverleaf designs. They've been the biggest development for making 5.8Ghz usable. If you want range, then I'd use a 900Mhz or 1200Mhz video system (depending on the "legalities" in your state/country). I've also invested in a 433Mhz module for the transmitter, whilst they're good for > 40km, it gives a bit more piece of mind.

Have you set up RSSI on your OSD?

I use rangelink myself, on a gaui 344 on a different frame, and a HK plank. Also looking to update the quad controller, but can't afford your unit! Check out the opencopter stuff you're after a cheaper but very very very capable main board! I use a go pro, but please reconsider using it for the flight camera, as opposed to a recording camera. It won't be HD over the video link, it'll be compressed in 16:9, rather then 4:3 on your goggles reducing your FOV, and there's unacceptable latency for flying. It's not so bad when you're up in the clouds, but with the nature of low/fast/close quad flying it's not it's indended purpose. Check out the 690TVL camera which are available for $60 and perfect for FPV use.

Good luck
smarm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahhhh, progress!

Finally, after 19 days of wind, today is as calm as can be. Time to do the 'neutral' flight!

To do this is simple on the fy91q. There are 4 dip switches to set up the configuration with. I fly cross method so dip 3 is the only one on.
Just flip dip 2 on, fly to a hover, trim it out and toggle from stabilized flight to hover flight and wait 2 second and toggle back, land and turn dip 2 off.

Calibrating the compass is easy too, and recommended at the start of every session.
Turn on the a acft, toggle stabilized to hover 6 times. The lights go out on the controller. Rotate the acft 1 1/2 times and re-power on.
Gps calibrates automatically. When you see the led double flash it has locked onto 5 signals and is ready to go.

All went as expected.*

The 330x then became pretty damn stable. Hover mode had a slight drift, so I need to mess with the pots a little to work that out.

Testing return to home mode.*
I was out front of the house in the street, took it up to 20 feet and moved forward to 30 feet out.
Entered hover mode, then return to home. Sure is wierd seeing the 330x move back to take-off point without my thumbs on the sticks!
She had a slight toilet bowl effect screwing with it. I'll need to work that out, too.

So, for a first attempt, not bad!
I'll need to re-do the neutral point again and work out the fine tuning, but from here it should be a breeze.

I needed to get some stuff done so I had to put it away after all that.

Didn't go under the goggles, though. Somewhere along the line I broke one of the tiny-assed wires on the back of the connector for the camera! Got 2 on order.

Can't remember where I saw it, and of course I can't find it now, but the next firmware for GoPro supposedly is to include the proper 4:3 formatting for fpv.
I understand the latency issue, however others are flying fpv with GoPro and enjoying it. Most just complain that they loose video for a split second when snapping a picture. It's not like I'm going to rip across the sky at Mach speed!

Plans will change as I go along, I'm sure. Being flexable is part of the hobby.

As far as my current set up is concerned, the 200mah tx will be fine for now. I don't intend to fly farther than I'm willing to walk, which isn't far with my knee I *assure you.
I already have my eyeball on a 5.8ghz 500mah tx for later.

I'm hopeing to use the 200mh tx to link my future ground station to my goggles, eliminate as much wires as I can. Not too sure that will work though.

I'm already considering what I'll need for a ground station. That will be the next thing to gather parts for. Going to keep it simple. I don't forsee a need to get too complicated as my intention isn't to push out so far retrieval would become an issue.*
After I get the next airframe exactly where I want it and totally dependable, then we'll see. Right now everything in baby steps.

The flat 5.8ghz antenna's look good. I'll pick one up for the goggles. Don't see using one on the acft as they are directional.

The main thing about the 330x is it is small. The 8 inch propellars have a bit of a hard time due to the altitude here. A bigger air frame, big ass motors and large props will not only increase the load it can carry but make it more stable.
Though, I was impressed on how stable the new controller made it.

Antenna orentation on my 330x, I know it's not optimal. It should be pointed straight up for that. However, I really can't do that as the propellars are already passing over the corner of the battery.
The main thing is to make it perpendicular to the ground.
As I will not be pushing out the 330x far, I compromised. I'll see how well it works. If not, I'll have to do something else.
The 330x is really just a test bed to learn all this stuff with. Kind of a Belt CP of quad's, if you will.

I need to look at the programming of the Gaui esc's, make sure they are all the same settings.

So, I'm excited!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
The 330x is really just a test bed to learn all this stuff with. Kind of a Belt CP of quad's, if you will.

I like that quote.

I honestly can't recommend circular polarised antennas strongly enough though if you're going to keep with 5.8Ghz, You'll be amazing at the difference

I ditched the 330x frame ages ago. The Vc-450 from hoverthings is well worth a look. Allows a much bigger payload
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

More exploring last night. Foxtech, which I'm using, has this in omni-directional. 5.8ghz @ 11dbi.

They, also, had this. Their y6 scorpion complete with motors, esc's no controller.

The boards have electric built in to drive the led's on the arms.

3 led's built into the arms,

Only thing I don't like is the landing gear, looks like it could easily tip damaging props. Not a big deal, guessing a standard heli landing gear could be cut in half, mounted with the curl outward allowing the bottom props to pass and giving it a larger foot-print.
Then, again, it might work just fine?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm, just watched a vid of this, don't think it will work for what I want. Option A still the best in y6 configuration.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

The trouble with omni's is when banking, it shifts the beam. Generally the higher the gain on the antenna, the flatter the beam width. Can be marginal when flying above you.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, how about this then?

5.8 GHz Bluebeam Antenna Set (RHCP)

Radiation pattern:

• Model: 58BLUEBEAM
  • Shipping Weight: 0.3
  • 12 Units in Stock
  • Manufactured by: IBCrazy
Available with a 2" whip also;

Radiation pattern:

• Model: 58BLUEBEAM
  • Shipping Weight: 0.3
  • 12 Units in Stock
  • Manufactured by: IBCrazy

Thanks for your input, Smarm. Not getting much response from the other threads. Been hanging out collecting info from the 'other' site. It's so full of threads one spends all his time sifting before ocd kicks in.
What are you using?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been looking at those cloverleaf antennas for my live video feedback from my camera rig. I'm using a 600mw immersion RC 5.8ghz tx with a dual
Diversity rx. Just got rubber ducks on at the moment but nowhere gives ogres for the range increase I should get. Do you have any idea?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in